Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Legend

EvilDragon wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Oftentimes solo brass instruments require a rather specific pulse width setting, which might be a problem on Legend 8)
It's possible to emulate that (as on a real Mini) by using two oscillators, one with a regular sawtooth, other with a ramp (inverse sawtooth) at slight detunings. Gets in the ballpark.
That works nicely with Sylenth1 as well, but basically only consistently when using osc retrigger and setting the phase right.

Ingonator wrote:BTW The Legend also has a 12dB/oct filter mode that is suitable for more "Oberheimish" sounds like i had mentioned earlier. The 12db mode could really make a quite big difference to the default 24dB mode and IMO the 12dB filter in The Legend actually sounds quite nice.
Yeah, but ultimately a 12 dB ladder topology WILL sound and behave different than a 12 dB state variable topology, though. :)

So I wouldn't call it "Oberheimish" just because it's a 2-pole. It's a VERY SPECIFIC 2-pole... Legend's 2-pole just sounds like a more open and more brash Moog (because that's what it is) :) The low-end still starts disappearing as you raise the resonance, because of the ladder topology. Not so much with the state variable on Oberheims.
Last edited by EvilDragon on Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I prefer the new xpander filter in D2 for those cheesy synth brass sounds

EvilDragon wrote:
Ingonator wrote:BTW The Legend also has a 12dB/oct filter mode that is suitable for more "Oberheimish" sounds like i had mentioned earlier. The 12db mode could really make a quite big difference to the default 24dB mode and IMO the 12dB filter in The Legend actually sounds quite nice.
Yeah, but ultimately a 12 dB ladder topology WILL sound and behave different than a 12 dB state variable topology, though. :)

So I wouldn't call it "Oberheimish" just because it's a 2-pole. It's a VERY SPECIFIC 2-pole... Legend's 2-pole just sounds like a more open and more brash Moog (because that's what it is) :) The low-end still starts disappearing as you raise the resonance, because of the ladder topology. Not so much with the state variable on Oberheims.
Well i do not think that e.g. the OB-8 or OB-Xa used a typical state variable filter like the SEM or OB-X filter. They used a CEM 3320 chip like the Prophet 5 Rev 3 that concerning resonance seems to behave more like a typical ladder filter.
The Matrix-12 filter while quite complex is still based on a CEM chip (CEM 3372) too.

Anyway i admit that with those CEM chips you could mostly usen a 24dB filter while some of those mentioned above offered both a 12dB and 24dB mode. AFAIk teh OB-Xa per voice had two CEM 3320 with a differnt circuit for that task.
Last edited by Ingonator on Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Just a heads up for all those who purchased "Legendary" expansion.

It is now available in both the Rack Extension and VST format.

MORE INFO HERE.

Okay, since we're on the subject of brass, I'm trying to come up with a synth brass ensemble for my latest project. I was told if I have Monark, I don't need The Legend except I'm now realizing, Monark is monophonic and thus, even if I can come up with the sound I want, I can't play it the way I want. Arturia is okay, but it's no Monark. It's not even close, which is why I never even bothered making a library for it. Poor mini emulation IMO.

I really don't want yet another MINI moog (I guess I could try doing what I want in Diva but that thing is such a CPU hog) but I'm not seeing any other alternative.

Dune 2 is one of my workhorse synths and I love Synapse as a company.

So yeah, I need somebody to tell me that if I don't get the Legend, I'm crazy.

Somebody post a nice brass ensemble (playing chords in 5ths) that has kind of a majestic sound to it. I know I could also just use EWQL brass but I want this to have a 70s sound and I don't think real brass is going to pull it off.

Who can make me a believer?

wagtunes wrote:Okay, since we're on the subject of brass, I'm trying to come up with a synth brass ensemble for my latest project. I was told if I have Monark, I don't need The Legend except I'm now realizing, Monark is monophonic and thus, even if I can come up with the sound I want, I can't play it the way I want. Arturia is okay, but it's no Monark. It's not even close, which is why I never even bothered making a library for it. Poor mini emulation IMO.

I really don't want yet another MINI moog (I guess I could try doing what I want in Diva but that thing is such a CPU hog) but I'm not seeing any other alternative.

Somebody post a nice brass ensemble (playing chords in 5ths) that has kind of a majestic sound to it. I know I could also just use EWQL brass but I want this to have a 70s sound and I don't think real brass is going to pull it off.

You dont need Legend if you have D2. Use the new xpander filter. Much better brass sounds and obviously, much more versatile (to program how you want voice wise etc)

Maybe Arturia's SEM or Waves' Element can give you those brass pads...

Any song that shows what sound you have in mind?

AnX wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Okay, since we're on the subject of brass, I'm trying to come up with a synth brass ensemble for my latest project. I was told if I have Monark, I don't need The Legend except I'm now realizing, Monark is monophonic and thus, even if I can come up with the sound I want, I can't play it the way I want. Arturia is okay, but it's no Monark. It's not even close, which is why I never even bothered making a library for it. Poor mini emulation IMO.

You dont need Legend if you have D2. Use the new xpander filter. Much better brass sounds and obviously, much more versatile (to program how you want voice wise etc)
Except Dune 2, as much as I love it, doesn't have anywhere near that 70s analog sound. It's not even in the same universe. Dune 2 has a sound all its own.

wagtunes wrote:
AnX wrote:

Except Dune 2, as much as I love it, doesn't have anywhere near that 70s analog sound. It's not even in the same universe. Dune 2 has a sound all its own.
I dont agree with that, but .... :shrug:

Done some very nice krautrock/berlin school type stuff with D2.

I think too many ppl just assume its an edm synth cos of all the crap banks that get released, and dont prog their own stuff. I know you roll your own, so find it strange it doesnt fit your needs.

Wags, if you have OP-X Pro II, that should quench your thirst for synth brass sounds... Definitely fits the bill even though it's emulating an 80s synth.

Concerning 5th one of my polyphonic factory presets for The Legend is called "Fifths Rez Brass IW"... :)

The Legend is capable of some great Brass sounds indeed.Besides those included in te factory conetnt (while the demo does not include all presets) you could also check those i posted here at page 80.

Other synths for this are e.g. Diva with the Jupiter 8 modules and/or teh Uhbie filter (actually the 3rd party presets in Diva include some Jupiter 8 Brass patches from me), Arturia Matrix-12, Arturia SEM V2, Arturia Prophet 5, Arturia Jupiter 8, Arturia CS-80, the free OBXD (has zero delay feedback filters...) and others.
With the Arturia plugins i normally use Waves OneKnob Phatter to improve teh low end but a nice EQ could do this too.

If you got Xils Lab synths You could also try SynÄ'X 2, MiniSynX, Poly KB II or III and Oxium.
Lotuzia made a bank with Jupiter 8 presets for Oxium:
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr/catalog/produ ... ucts_id=97

UPDATE:
If you want to stay strictly in the 70s choices for Brass sounds besides a Minimoog seem to be e.g. ARP Odyssey, ARP 2600, Yamaha CS-80 and Prophet 5 Rev 1. The last two are available from Arturia, ARP dyssey e.g. in GForce Oddity 2 and ARP2600 from Arturia or Wayoutware TimewARP 2600. All those plugin seem to be capable of using polyphony (and additionally The Legend too)
Last edited by Ingonator on Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

AnX wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
AnX wrote:

I dont agree with that, but .... :shrug:

Done some very nice krautrock/berlin school type stuff with D2.

I think too many ppl just assume its an edm synth cos of all the crap banks that get released, and dont prog their own stuff. I know you roll your own, so find it strange it doesnt fit your needs.
Trust me, I've worked with this synth probably more than any other except for maybe Synthmaster. I don't pay attention to all that EDM crap nonsense hype. I buy a synth for the sound and not what people think it's for.

But...and maybe it's just MY ears...there is a tone to Dune 2 that I can't put in words. You know how Tone 2 synths have that kind of plastic well polished sound (and I definitely hear it)? Well Dune 2 is somewhere between that and an analog synth as far as the actual engine tone quality. It may very well have to do a lot with the per voice programming, which I did extensively on my banks. It's like the synth is too fat. It's just too much. It doesn't sound "old" enough to be a 70s synth. And quite honestly, I've yet to figure out that fine line between that "over the top" Dune 2 sound that I like to program and putting together a patch that is just plain bland and boring. Because you can certainly do that with Dune 2. That init patch is nothing to write home about.

Maybe I'm just not a good enough sound designer to tone this synth down to where it sounds like a 70s emulation. Diva is so much easier to pull it off with. And Arturia, forget it. You have to beat your head against the wall just to make it sound THAT good.

I have 3 patches loaded up right now, one for each of those 3 synths. And yes, the XP filter for the Dune 2 patch. That patch absolutely sounds the "biggest" and "fattest" of all the 3. However, it does not have that 70s sound that I am looking for, whereas the other 2 do.

I can upload a demo to Soundcloud so you can hear them (blindly of course) and I have no doubt that your favorite will be the one that is ultimately Dune 2. It's mine as well. It's just not "authentic" to my ears. And if you compare it to the other 2, you'll understand why.

EvilDragon wrote:Wags, if you have OP-X Pro II, that should quench your thirst for synth brass sounds... Definitely fits the bill even though it's emulating an 80s synth.
Yeah, see that's the problem. My project is strictly 70s and the OP-X Pro II, which I have and love, is just the wrong sound for what I'm looking for. In fact, that sound is so distinctive that it would stick out like a sore thumb it a track that's emulating the early to mid 70s. So yeah, great synth, great sounds, just won't work for what I'm doing.

What would be an example track for the sound?

Return to “Instruments”