Rev2 (Dave Smith)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Uuuh.....16 voice analog poly synth....
https://youtu.be/FRMyTPaz55w

About 6000 Prophet 5 units was manufactured.

So Pro'08 ecplised that number, that is quite a bit :o

Will be interesting to see what the price is.

If it's priced to compete with the Deepmind 12 it might make one wonder why they weren't putting out affordable higher voice count analog keyboards in the first place .... I mean, the obvious desire for larger profit margins notwithstanding.

$1.5k for 8 voices. $2k for 16 voices.

Daags wrote:If it's priced to compete with the Deepmind 12 it might make one wonder why they weren't putting out affordable higher voice count analog keyboards in the first place .... I mean, the obvious desire for larger profit margins notwithstanding.
Beheringer is a bit like Casio when compared to DSI aint it?

I think users will feel more secure spending a bit more for the proven DSI quality.

Daags wrote:Will be interesting to see what the price is.
Expensive. DS stuff always is (bang for buck)

$2k for 16 voices is not expensive at all. Check the going prices for Alesis Andromeda, or Rhodes Chroma, which are the only other 16-voice analog polys out there (granted, VCOs) :)
Numanoid wrote:Beheringer is a bit like Casio when compared to DSI aint it?
Not really, they knocked it out of the park with DM12. Sounds great, price is great.

EvilDragon wrote:$2k for 16 voices is not expensive at all. Check the going prices for Alesis Andromeda. Or Rhodes Chroma :)
Numanoid wrote:Beheringer is a bit like Casio when compared to DSI aint it?
Not really, they knocked it out of the park with DM12. Sounds great, price is great.
Agreed. Personally, this is the kind of thing that Dave does well, but that I couldn't give a shit about. It's going to sell a lot, but no matter the price, I'm completely uninterested and I'm still going to buy a Deepmind this year.

I think that the Prophet 6 is a great synth, and I think that the DM-12 is a great synth. I think that the P-08 is a great product and a mediocre synth. I think that this will largely be the same.

16 voices or not, he's been milking this cow for a long time now. His stuff is too long in the tooth for me to put down 2k.

EvilDragon wrote:
Numanoid wrote:Behringer is a bit like Casio when compared to DSI aint it?
I don't mean that either Behringer or Casio are making sub-standard products. Their quality is fine for all I know.

But why did Casio's return as synth manufacturer tank completely (XW-P1)?

I think because Casio (and the Behringers out there) compared to DSI are seen as cheapandcheerful, and maybe not taken seriously especially by those users thinking about how well second hand prices will hold up 5 years down the road.

When paying 1000-2000 bucks plus for a product, a user want some bling to go with it 8)
Last edited by Numanoid on Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[/quote]
Beheringer is a bit like Casio when compared to DSI aint it?[/quote]

dave smith could not give a single shit about what beheringer is doing...even from a price point

behringers deepmind will sink into oblivion eventually and the REV2 will only gain value
live 11 / Arturia collection / many Softube plug ins / thats it

And this is where you're probably wrong. :)

Numanoid wrote: I think because Casio (and the Behringers out there) compared to DSI are seen as cheapandcheerful, and maybe not taken seriously especially by those users thinking about how well second hand prices will hold up 5 years down the road.
Casio in the 80s was playing in the major league, after the big success of the CZ series. Their FZ samplers also got many favoured reviews (they were the first 16-bit samplers, if I'm not mistaken)

Then they launched the VZ series, and they did some serious design mistakes in it. When we would expect that they would come up with a revised VZ, with the mistakes corrected, and with an evolution of the FZ sampler (with more RAM memory, and support for 44.1 and 48 kHz sampling rates, for example) they simply gave up and withdraw for the market. That's something that's not easily forgotten (or forgiven).
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:they simply gave up and withdraw for the market. That's something that's not easily forgotten (or forgiven).
+1

I don't think that is gonna happen with DSI, Pro'08 sold more than Prophet 5 (according to that vid), and 10 years down the road they bring out v2

Sequential Circuits turned out products for 13 years (1974-1987) until they went bankrupt.

DSI is now entering it's 15th year of trading (first product was Evolver in 2002), so quite impressive stability that.

Numanoid wrote:
fmr wrote:they simply gave up and withdraw for the market. That's something that's not easily forgotten (or forgiven).
+1

I don't think that is gonna happen with DSI, Pro'08 sold more than Prophet 5 (according to that vid), and 10 years down the road they bring out v2

Sequential Circuits turned out products for 13 years (1974-1987) until they went bankrupt.

DSI is now entering it's 15th year of trading (first product was Evolver in 2002), so quite impressive stability that.
It was my sense that what killed off the small (mostly analog) players in the 80s was that they didn't have the engineering experience or budgets to compete with the big players as everything went digital. Even now, the stuff that they're doing isn't on the scale of a Roland workstation, or even on the scale of something like the Andromeda really.

I don't think that it was ever about having ideas or seeing where the market was going so much as not knowing how to get to where the market already was, as defined by the big players. Yamaha was already their with the DX stuff and Roland followed suit quickly with the U and D series stuff. After that it was all VLSI based romplers for a number of years.

I think that only Ensoniq was really able to hold their own for a while, but they started out in that custom VLSI digital mode.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”