Reaper Updates

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
REAPER

Does Reaper have (internally) clip/session based recording or is that still only accessible through the 3rd party plugin.

Seriously considering a second DAW or moving.
This isn't what you think.

Only via PlayTime plugin.

It really does seem like a trend now with a few daw makers. They hold back features to spread out into future paid updates instead of just adding in much wanted and needed features as they go. Like Reaper.

This can be understandable to a point! but when it's pretty much just standard features that lots of people rely on for workflow..you could find in other daws several years ago.. and they market it as one of the main new features for a new paid version number or update.. it gets reduculous and insulting.

Back when I started out with software in the late 90's the daw makers would pack as many requested features as they could into updates or at least the next version updates. It made it exciting! You just knew some cool shit was coming in the next version number. Which was GREAT for paying customers.

Now some companies are just insulting their user base with these extremely small Paid feature updates with no promises of updating or adding the most requested features. Their marketing is full of excitement and then when they release the feature list.. it's a Huge let down for a lot of people. I think Reaper has ruined me for some other daws now.

memyselfandus wrote:It really does seem like a trend now with a few daw makers. They hold back features to spread out into future paid updates instead of just adding in much wanted and needed features as they go.
I know that's the most common belief, but I don't know if it's always actually true, and neither do the people saying it tbh. Everything is contextual. It might have taken Steinberg 18 months to work VCA's into that huge application. You couldn't possibly know if it's been working since 2012 and they just sat on it for 2 years for money or if it was just really hard to get done.

Daw users often create things out of thin air and then argue them as if they factual. You could say the same thing about Reaper, maybe they held back on X big feature that showed up in v5 for version 5.0 to make a little more money, given that not every user had a license that would carry them to 5.0?

Saying that would be just as bad, since we can't read their minds either.

Then of course, comparing Reaper the business to anything that has a massive payroll, lots more employees, etc, etc, obligations, is kinda silly to begin with. Steinberg has to pay lots of people so their financial decisions can't be based on what feels good to the Internet. It all gets silly, comparing a small operation to a subsidiary of one of the largest corporations in the world, just because they both happen to make a daw.

Was about to dismiss that point earlier too, but, i could actually imagine that they save up some key features for point, or full version updates. Fair enough, the people want arguments to invest money, and there's not much of an argument with mere bug fixes, or minor cosmetic adjustments. Frankly, i don't see where Reaper is so much different in that regard though. Lemme remind that the major GUI upgrade came with the version 4 update. ;) And it more or less looks the same still now, while Cubase had several major GUI changes in that time. Not saying the one or the other is better, just don't quite get the "Reaper does what other DAW's don't" thing. Especially considering there's 2 active developers working there. I mean, come on, other DAW's have at least 10 to 20 active developers. Justin is no superman of coding who can do 20 times the work in the same time someone else does. They have a different concept than other DAW's, granted. But, i don't really see revolutionary changes in Reaper. Actually, the opposite.

chk071 wrote:Was about to dismiss that point earlier too, but, i could actually imagine that they save up some key features for point, or full version updates.
I'm certain they do some of that. I would. :)

Otoh, I know for a fact that sometimes some things they actually planned for and wanted to release just didn't quite make the cut, so it isn't included, then it'll show up later at some point anyway. Reaper is great but they're actually not the only people giving out great updates to users for free.

Look at any Studio One x.5 version, major changes for free ... or look at what Logic just released... a really big list there, for free.

They're all great products. Not sure why these threads always pop up trying to prove something unnecessary. At any rate, anyone who thinks Reaper isn't a great and really powerful app (subjective personal taste aside) is delusional. :)

LawrenceF wrote:Look at any Studio One x.5 version, major changes for free
Studio One, glad i sold it, buggy resource hog that is going further down hill every release, just wanted to balance out your never ending Studio One mentions when ever you get chance, at least IK staff put it before their names on forums.
Duh

It actually wasn't about it nor Logic, it was more just disputing the idea that it's unusual to get big features for free, that companies always hold good stuff back to make people pay for it, the discussion.

The list is a good bit longer than that, FLStudio being another easy one.

First of all I said "some" companies and never mentioned Cubase or Studio One.

Double post

Yeah, yeah ... The proof of the pudding is in the tasting, SO:

We can all name top-rated musicians and bands who use DAW X or DAW Y - the same DAW brands come up over and over again. And we can also track down and name the DAWs used on many many of the top songs and albums.

Now, NAME all the very top talents who use REAPER.

Better still, NAME the super top songs and albums that were done exclusively on REAPER.

Well?

Certain times of year I catch up and read the forums, the trade mags ... I never see anybody worth talking about tell about how REAPER was used on their uber-successful songs or album. So, someone list all of them for us and lets end this. If you like a certain software, there is nothing at all wrong with sticking with it. But why no top pros using it ... ever?

MarlaPodolski wrote:Yeah, yeah ... The proof of the pudding is in the tasting, SO:

We can all name top-rated musicians and bands who use DAW X or DAW Y - the same DAW brands come up over and over again. And we can also track down and name the DAWs used on many many of the top songs and albums.

Better still, NAME the super top songs and albums that were done exclusively on REAPER.

Well?

Certain times of year I catch up and read the forums, the trade mags ... I never see anybody worth talking about tell about how REAPER was used on their uber-successful songs or album. So, someone list all of them for us and lets end this. If you like a certain software, there is nothing at all wrong with sticking with it. But why no top pros using it ... ever?

Troll much?

MarlaPodolski wrote:Yeah, yeah ... The proof of the pudding is in the tasting, SO:

Well?

I know people in the classical music scene who use Reaper for spatialisation of live audio. This is at an international high end. I also know of people who have used reaper to record classical concerts for national broadcast. But I also know that the same people use other software for composing.

Well?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”