MOK Waverazor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Waverazor

foosnark wrote:Different tastes I guess. I too am incredibly bored by emulations of subtractive analog synths from the 70s and find this one pretty damned exciting.
Nice dichotomy we have here, as if it we can only have either 70s analog tones or harsh unmusical noises :)

I'm all in for edgy futuristic sounds but what I've heard here doesn't sound especially edgy or futuristic, I think a dozen of current synths can already make something similar. Maybe these noises were generated in some unique way but they still remain what they are - harsh unmusical noises.
foosnark wrote: And I thought the video effectively communicated what the synth sounds like and does.
You think so? To my understanding, the synth is in its very infancy, I guess when it gets filters, effects and whatnot it should be capable of much wider range of tones but it's hard to tell now what it will sound like. I just don't see the point of such "presentations".

Why do I always read the topic title as either "Marazmator" or "Warezator?" :?
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote:
foosnark wrote: And I thought the video effectively communicated what the synth sounds like and does.
You think so? To my understanding, the synth is in its very infancy, I guess when it gets filters, effects and whatnot it should be capable of much wider range of tones but it's hard to tell now what it will sound like. I just don't see the point of such "presentations".
If a "patent pending new oscillator" with a "new and innovative synthesis technique" can do just this, to hell with it. I gladly exchange that "patent pending new oscillator" with a bland plain old wavetable oscillator.

And even with the best filters and modulations added, the sound will be severely limited, if this is all we can get out of these "patent pending new oscillators". The king is naked.
Last edited by fmr on Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Whatever. I like the sounds I'm hearing here and look forward to the release. If these are "harsh unmusical sounds" then I guess you should just sit back with some warm milk and enjoy your Barry Manilow. :D

foosnark wrote:Whatever. I like the sounds I'm hearing here and look forward to the release. If these are "harsh unmusical sounds" then I guess you should just sit back with some warm milk and enjoy your Barry Manilow. :D
Barry Manilow aside (who I happen to like) I love noisemakers. I also love noisemakers that make more than just one noise. The synth needs more variety. Now hopefully, when the whole thing is revealed, it will have that variety. But as it stands right now, there really isn't much to get excited about. It's like a One Ping Only for noisemakers. That might be enough for you, and that's fine, but I think for most people the dev is going to have to come up with a little more if he wants to have a successful product.

My 2 cents for whatever they're worth.

If you can't cover Jarre with it, it ain't no synth.

You can cover Jarre with a banjo :hihi:

(...I kinda want to hear that.)

wagtunes wrote:But the problem with this synth, at least from the demo, is that there doesn't appear to be a great diversity in the noises that it can make. Everything sounds the same. The timber range seems very limited. That's the problem. Not that it makes noise.
I agree that ridiculing the synth because it doesn't conform to traditional sonic preferences is pointless. I mean, personally I mostly use very traditional sounds, but unlike many in this thread I'm aware there's a world beyond my nose. It's not like they tried to make a smooth and warm sounding synth, ended up with this thing and didn't notice they'd failed. For certain genres this must look very interesting, and sounds like these are used more and more in mainstream music as well. As for the limitations, my impression was more of it being very focused, but also easily editable within that focus. Let's face it, most users will already have a double-digit number of synths already, so niche products make sense.

Jeez, what a whingefest of a thread.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

foosnark wrote:You can cover Jarre with a banjo :hihi:

(...I kinda want to hear that.)
:hihi:

this looks pretty interesting to me.

the gui is fine, even kind of cool, i liked it...i dont get what the issue is with it. so...its different...big deal. looked nice and clear to me.

and the sound...well thats iffy. like wag said...the sounds we have heard arent very diverse...so its a little concerning, but the concept is quite interesting and sounds like it would be really fun to use. to the naysayers complaining of fart noises...well i think youre being a little short sighted, lets give them a shot to show us more range.

without more sound demos its hard to have an opinion really...i like the idea...but you know, this is reminding me of enzyme...i liked the idea of enzyme also...that too had an interesting gui...aggressive sound and the promise of lots of new and interesting sounds...and i f'ing HATE that thing. everything is does sounds the same and it doesnt even make that sound well.

so...im cautiously optimistic for waverazor...ill definitely be keeping track of it.
ImageImageImage

chaosWyrM wrote:this looks pretty interesting to me.

the gui is fine, even kind of cool, i liked it...i dont get what the issue is with it. so...its different...big deal. looked nice and clear to me.

and the sound...well thats iffy. like wag said...the sounds we have heard arent very diverse...so its a little concerning, but the concept is quite interesting and sounds like it would be really fun to use. to the naysayers complaining of fart noises...well i think youre being a little short sighted, lets give them a shot to show us more range.

without more sound demos its hard to have an opinion really...i like the idea...but you know, this is reminding me of enzyme...i liked the idea of enzyme also...that too had an interesting gui...aggressive sound and the promise of lots of new and interesting sounds...and i f'ing HATE that thing. everything is does sounds the same and it doesnt even make that sound well.

so...im cautiously optimistic for waverazor...ill definitely be keeping track of it.
Funny thing about Enyzme, when I demo'd it, is I liked the sound a lot but I just couldn't get past the GUI. I know there's an alternate skin but even that was miserable to work with. Shame, because I really think I could have got some really different sounds out of that thing next to the rest of the synths I own but I just couldn't bring myself to work with that interface.

foosnark wrote: If these are "harsh unmusical sounds" then I guess you should just sit back with some warm milk and enjoy your Barry Manilow. :D
I tend towards a nice chianti and some fava beans with my Manilow.

wagtunes wrote: Funny thing about Enyzme, when I demo'd it, is I liked the sound a lot but I just couldn't get past the GUI. I know there's an alternate skin but even that was miserable to work with. Shame, because I really think I could have got some really different sounds out of that thing next to the rest of the synths I own but I just couldn't bring myself to work with that interface.
alternate skin for enzyme? i cant find one. as for the sounds....ugh. every sound it makes sounds like a variation on scraping a fork with your teeth, i just cant listen to it...which is exactly my concern with waverazor considering the audio examples weve been offered.
ImageImageImage

chaosWyrM wrote:
wagtunes wrote: Funny thing about Enyzme, when I demo'd it, is I liked the sound a lot but I just couldn't get past the GUI. I know there's an alternate skin but even that was miserable to work with. Shame, because I really think I could have got some really different sounds out of that thing next to the rest of the synths I own but I just couldn't bring myself to work with that interface.
alternate skin for enzyme? i cant find one. as for the sounds....ugh. every sound it makes sounds like a variation on scraping a fork with your teeth, i just cant listen to it...which is exactly my concern with waverazor considering the audio examples weve been offered.
Never mind. Mixed that synth up with Symptom. Enzyme's GUI was simply too small and the color was horrible. Now I remember. I couldn't read any of the fonts. Symtom's GUI was a train wreck and the alternate wasn't much better. Still liked Enzyme's sound better than Symptom's.

I still keep my list of synths that I loved their sound but couldn't buy them either because of the GUI or bugs or both.

skipscada wrote: I agree that ridiculing the synth because it doesn't conform to traditional sonic preferences is pointless. I mean, personally I mostly use very traditional sounds, but unlike many in this thread I'm aware there's a world beyond my nose.
I'm ridiculing it because I don't like the sound (based on the demo videos). I'm well aware there is a "world beyond my nose" but I give zero f*cks about that world. I'm only concerned about what makes sense in my world as should everybody.

Like I said perhaps when the synth is finished my opinion will change but right now....to me....it has a horrible sound fronted by a horrible gui.

As I also said "Oh well good luck to the developers, hope it's a hit". :wink:
jabe wrote:Jeez, what a whingefest of a thread.
Yep and you just added to it.......first day at KVR ? :lol:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Instruments”