Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Legend

Not to forget that The Legend is also available as a RE plugin for Reason which offers a different market while at the same time it is also availiable as VST and AU for Windows and OSX.

AFAIK The Legend is the first RE synth with this kind of quality in terms of analog modelling. While personally i do not use Reason it is hard to ignore that there seem to be a lot of users for this.

I you look at the Propellerghead shop currently if you sort the RE software instruments by their rating done by customers it is along the TOP 6 (a full 5 starts rating that only seems to exist for 6 RE instrument plugins):
https://shop.propellerheads.se/browse/? ... &view=grid

Due to 98 reviewss there must be at least 98 RE users for The Legend at the moment and i guess there are a lot more. My guess is that for the VST2 and AU plugin for Windows and OSX there must be many more than that.

Another of the TOP 6 is Antidote which is by Synapse Audio too. For this there are alraedy 885 votes/reviews at the shop while Antidote is out a bit longer already (since April 2015) and it is even more expensive than the RE for The Legend.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:Not to forget that The Legend is also available as a RE plugin for Reason which offers a different market while at the same time it is also availiable as VST and AU for Windows and OSX.

AFAIK The Legend is the first RE synth with this kind of quality in terms of analog modelling. While personally i do not use Reason it is hard to ignore that there seem to be a lot of users for this.

I you look at the Propellerghead shop currently if you sort the RE software instruments by their rating done by customers it is along the TOP 6 (a full 5 starts rating that only seems to exist for 6 RE instrument plugins):

Due to 98 reviewss there must be at least 98 RE users for The Legend at the moment and i guess there are a lot more. My guess is that for the VST2 and AU plugin for Windows and OSX there must be many more than that.

Another of the TOP 6 is Antidote which is by Synapse Audio too. For this there are alraedy 885 votes/reviews at the shop while Antidote is out a bit longer already (since April 2015) and it is even more expensive than the RE for The Legend.
Ingo, while I appreciate the detailed responses, you do seem to be tip toeing around the question.

So let me just ask you straight out.

Are you saying that you "believe" there IS a market for 3rd party sounds for The Legend?

There is a market for everything, the question is, how big is it? :hihi:

fluffy_little_something wrote:There is a market for everything, the question is, how big is it? :hihi:
As big as it was for my Diva sound library which is my 11th best seller out of 37. Heck, even as big as a middle of the road library like MPowersynth, which is 18th. That would make it more than worth getting. But if it's something like ArcSyn, which is 34th, forget it. Not worth my time. I'm just glad I bought that synth because I loved the way it sounded. But it is obviously not a very popular one or one that people buy libraries for.

I have bought a few libraries for complex synths like Falcon (and recently Avenger) but I wouldn't buy one for Ledgend as it is a relatively simple synth and half the fun is programming that WYSIWYG interface...
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

ArcSyn is a whole lot more complex. That is a synth which I think is ideal for sound designers. Judging from the thread back when it was launched, a lot of people are impressed by it and have already bought it. It is rather flexible, potentially yielding zillions of new patches. But it might be too time-consuming for some...

With Legend one is more or less limited to classic sounds. Nothing wrong about that at all, but many people already know how to make those themselves.

fluffy_little_something wrote:ArcSyn is a whole lot more complex. That is a synth which I think is ideal for sound designers. Judging from the thread back when it was launched, a lot of people are impressed by it and have already bought it. It is rather flexible, potentially yielding zillions of new patches. But it might be too time-consuming for some...

With Legend one is more or less limited to classic sounds. Nothing wrong about that at all, but many people already know how to make those themselves.
Except ArcSyn is one of my worst selling libraries. So either it wasn't a big seller or people actually bought it to program it themselves.

wagtunes wrote:
Ingonator wrote:Not to forget that The Legend is also available as a RE plugin for Reason which offers a different market while at the same time it is also availiable as VST and AU for Windows and OSX.

Ingo, while I appreciate the detailed responses, you do seem to be tip toeing around the question.

So let me just ask you straight out.

Are you saying that you "believe" there IS a market for 3rd party sounds for The Legend?
Synapse Audio is a highly respected developer and their plugins seem to sell quite well so why should there not be a market? The fact that The Legend is also available as a RE for Reason just adds to the possible market and the numbers i mentioned at teh Properllerheads shop are just a small hint about how popular the products by Synapse Audio including the Legend RE seem to be.
I am not sure how exactly the presets are converted to RE compatible format but it should be possible to solve that question/problem if necessary.

I do not really see how buying The Legend would be a big failure and you should still be able to sell it later if necessary. You could spend some more time with it and see if it is woth it programming patches for it. This is nothing that i could dedice for you and there is no guarantee that you sell tons of soundsets for it. Of course this will also dpend on teh quality of the patches you offer.

Future updates for The Legend should add a few features while current patches should stay compatible with those updates. This means you could start with the soundset using the current features and you could add and/or use new features with your patches later if the update is released before you want to release the soundset. I would not really make my buying decison for the plugin based on what might be added in the future.
Last edited by Ingonator on Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

wagtunes wrote: Are you saying that you "believe" there IS a market for 3rd party sounds for The Legend?
Considering that it comes with a broad selection of presets, and sound designers did the factory presets, i wouldn't know why not. Sylenth1 for example is also a fairly simple synth (ok, not as simple as legend, but, still), yet there is a gazillion of presets out there. For Legend, i would assume that especially some recreations of "classic" Minimoog sounds would be fairly popular among Legend users.

As Ingo mentioned, there's also the possibility to cater to the RE users of Legend.

Ingonator wrote:
AnX wrote:I cant see a market for 3rd party banks.

Its a simple synth to program. If you cant program a minimoog, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Legend comes with a good set of factory sounds, both retro and modern. That should be good enough for even a noob to tweak to suit.
Well, some said that there are only a few differnt Synth Brass sounds that could be done and currently with what i alraey got with The Legend i coukld not confirm this
Good luck selling a bank of 'synth brass' sounds

Yorrrrrr wrote:*sigh...

KVRaudio is a strange place.
:)
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley

AnX wrote: Good luck selling a bank of 'synth brass' sounds
Well, actually i thought about posting the Brass sounds i am currently working on for free. If there is no interest i could just keep them for myself.

When i decide to post those here this is mostly for people that own the synth and like it, not really for those who do not really care about the synth or patches.
Last edited by Ingonator on Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner

I found that the "Osc beating" when for example using two detuned Saws could be changed when you use a "Saw Up" wave in one and a "Saw Down" wave in the other Osc opposing to using the same Saw wave on both. For certain patches with higher detune amounts this could be quite useful.
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:...a "Saw Up" wave in one and a "Saw Down" wave in the other Osc...
...will give you a PWM sound.

(Including the nasty cancellation that occurs when both oscs are the same amplitude and their phases meet at 100% shift.)

Dont get me wrong, its a good trick if the synth has no PWM but provides both upwards and downwards ramping saws. But if what you want is a detuned saw sound then youre not doing yourself a favor with this since it will inevitably 'square the saws'.

ENV1 wrote:
Ingonator wrote:...a "Saw Up" wave in one and a "Saw Down" wave in the other Osc...
...will give you a PWM sound.

(Including the nasty cancellation that occurs when both oscs are the same amplitude and their phases meet at 100% shift.)

Dont get me wrong, its a good trick if the synth has no PWM but provides both upwards and downwards ramping saws. But if what you want is a detuned saw sound then youre not doing yourself a favor with this since it will inevitably 'square the saws'.
Sorry but i do not see that if i use a Saw Up on one and Saw Down on the other Osc and detuine them by around 10 cents this should be even remotely similar to PWM. It still sounds just like 2 detuned Saws fo me, not Square like. The differnce to using two similar Saws mostly seems to be the way the Oscs are "beating" when detuned.
Ingo Weidner

Return to “Instruments”