Effect of low sampling rates on vintage samplers/romplers

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello! just curious...

Leaving bit depth aside, would you say that an older equipment that supports low sampling rates (32K for example) would be the same as is using a brickwall LP filter at 16K on a full spectrum sample?

Are we just losing the highs or is there an added flavor? know bit depth has a definite impact.

Some of the older PCM romplers are still holding their own and sporting around 32Khz rates.

I can see that there is a specific likeable effect (aliasing) when playing single cycles down the keyboard but not sure if it is related to the sample rate? (I think it is)

Would it be possible that hearing /ear fatigue would be minimized and more pleasing to listen to as well as opposed to super hi-fi renditions?

Thanks

Depends on the sampler ...

Some 16bit 44.1k samplers sound really crap to me, and some low spec ones just sound amazing.

The EII has strings to die for, and I think its 8bit 22k
The TX16W sounds very HiFi, but its 12bit 33k.
Prestissimo in Moto Perpetuo

Low sample rates are all about the aliasing. Definitely not the same as applying a lowpass filter! I used to do a lot of sampling at 10K on my Emax, but then again, I was in an industrial band at the time, so "bad" sound was desirable.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Thanks! Starting to make sense this was close to what I suspected but wasn't sure.

Sample rate is just as important to "flavor" than the lower bit depth indeed.

I really like the older Korg stuff (Wavestation/M1/O1W) and it's 32Khz sampling rate (some with single cycles samples spread across the board).

Same went for the Roland JV series at 32K, Fairlight etc...

The 90's sound was so distinctinve to me I never really knew until recently how to come up with it the I tried TAL sampler and could really feel the vive on some samples.

With contemporary artists using samplers like as metionned previously at low rates ...it's worth asking the question!!

But then I wonder about hearing fatigue. Any relation?

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”