Cytomic "The Scream" stomp box distortion plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Scream

Cytomic's next plugin "The Scream" is a very detailed model of the TS-808 Tube Screamer. It's a full model of all the discrete components in the circuit, and Boyle modelled op-amps, and all the behaviours (apart from hiss) are sounding spot on to the circuit.

First up, this level of detail currently takes around 10% average 14% peak cpu of a single core of my i7 laptop when running at 88.2/96 kHz, is this level of cpu load acceptable for everyone? Also I was thinking of pricing it at USD 29, how does that sound?

I want some help to decide which "mods" to add to it.

The regular TS-808 has these knobs:
  • Drive - distortion gain
  • Tone - basic bass / treble adjustment
  • Level - clean output level adjustment
  • On - button to switch the effect on /off (even if off will still process through the transistor buffers just like the regular pedal)
My list of "mods" thus far is:
  • Asym - diode asymmetry
  • Starve - battery starving
  • Bias - adjusting the bias level
  • Fat - lower the cutoff of the distortion high pass filter
Are there any other ones that people would like?

The plugin will also feature input / output level controls, mix, and the regular Cytomic oversampling with realtime (x1 to x16) and render (x1 to x64) options.
Last edited by andy-cytomic on Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

Well, I'd sure buy it at $29. Going to sleep and all I can hear is Stevie Ray Vaughan playing guitar in my head.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

I'll buy it.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

Wow! This is great!
I have pretty powerful PC, so I gotta be OK with this figures, but maybe you could add MD mode as on Drop?
Also, will it work in stereo? IMO it would be useful to have MONO/STEREO switch as I think this may work in the mix to do somethink like sending drum submix to it, etc.

The price in nice.

Sounds interesting. Where was the price listed? I assumed it would be $99 like the other plugs. Will this be restricted to non-tape saturation models?

meloco_go wrote:Wow! This is great!
I have pretty powerful PC, so I gotta be OK with this figures, but maybe you could add MD mode as on Drop?
Also, will it work in stereo? IMO it would be useful to have MONO/STEREO switch as I think this may work in the mix to do somethink like sending drum submix to it, etc.

The price in nice.
Yep, an MD mode would be possible, which would probably be the equivalent to all the existing TS808 products I've tried!

It will always process in stereo as it's SSE2 optimised, so you get stereo for free. If you want a mono sound then you can send it identical left and right audio :tu:

masterhiggins wrote:Sounds interesting. Where was the price listed? I assumed it would be $99 like the other plugs. Will this be restricted to non-tape saturation models?
USD 29. It's an Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer stomp box emulation, so there will be only one distortion type, that of the stomp box being emulated, I'm aiming for it to be the most accurate and detailed model on the market, it's a classic and deserves a very detailed model.

Sounds like something I would buy without even bothering with a demo...

andy-cytomic wrote:
masterhiggins wrote:Sounds interesting. Where was the price listed? I assumed it would be $99 like the other plugs. Will this be restricted to non-tape saturation models?
USD 29. It's an Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer stomp box emulation, so there will be only one distortion type, that of the stomp box being emulated, I'm aiming for it to be the most accurate and detailed model on the market, it's a classic and deserves a very detailed model.
Well it all depends on what you mean with an Ibanez TS808 emulation. The Maxon(original until 83)licensed Ibanez TS808 or Ibanez own version (until today).

Daimonicon wrote:Well it all depends on what you mean with an Ibanez TS808 emulation. The Maxon(original until 83)licensed Ibanez TS808 or Ibanez own version (until today).
I'm going by the MP-D01201A schematic and components: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... 33fdc0.jpg

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote:Well done andy, price sounds very reasonable.
+1

I think little pocket money priced plugs like this are a great idea. They get people to your site, they become 'customers' and you have people to mail and make offers to- it is a great way to 'introduce' people to your work. I'm in.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote:I think little pocket money priced plugs like this are a great idea. They get people to your site, they become 'customers' and you have people to mail and make offers to- it is a great way to 'introduce' people to your work. I'm in.
Definitely! I also like being able to get new products done more quickly. The Drop was a massive undertaking and I really just want to do a few smaller, more specific little plugins before tackling another massive project like that.

First up, this level of detail currently takes around 10% average 14% peak cpu of a single core of my i7 laptop when running at 88.2/96 kHz, is this level of cpu load acceptable for everyone?
Yes, I will always vote for more CPU-intensive effects that push forward the boundaries of simulation.

Return to “Effects”