Prog Rock Project Part 2...COMPLETED

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote:
wagtunes wrote: Yeah, I think I'll pass on reinstalling over 100 VSTs including Komplete (4 hours) and Omnisphere 2 just to mention a couple, not to mention all the companies I will have to contact to disable authorizations and on and on and on.
I hope you have all your serial numbers, authorization files, emails, installation files all backed up then. Just in case your hard drive fails. :hihi:
I have not one but 2 external drive backups in case one of them fails. All numbers are saved in text files. A separate one for each. Keyfiles are also backed up.

And with all that, it'll take me a good 2 weeks to get everything back to working order. I am not looking forward to it when the day comes (and it will) when either my hard drive or OS fails.

wagtunes wrote:
egbert101 wrote:
wagtunes wrote: Yeah, I think I'll pass on reinstalling over 100 VSTs including Komplete (4 hours) and Omnisphere 2 just to mention a couple, not to mention all the companies I will have to contact to disable authorizations and on and on and on.
I hope you have all your serial numbers, authorization files, emails, installation files all backed up then. Just in case your hard drive fails. :hihi:
I have not one but 2 external drive backups in case one of them fails. All numbers are saved in text files. A separate one for each. Keyfiles are also backed up.

And with all that, it'll take me a good 2 weeks to get everything back to working order. I am not looking forward to it when the day comes (and it will) when either my hard drive or OS fails.
I always take 2 to 3 days to do a complete reinstall (vst's, daw's). Again, i think it is worth it :)

exmatproton wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
egbert101 wrote:

I always take 2 to 3 days to do a complete reinstall (vst's, daw's). Again, i think it is worth it :)
I'm happy for you that you think it's worth it but I don't see any benefit from just arbitrarily reinstalling everything I have unless I absolutely have to.

With an SSD intall times are greatly reduced...

However I use a hybrid for my boot drive. I thought SSDs decay with a lot of writing... So I use my SSDs (4, plus the mSata for 4.5 TBs) strictly for my Kontakt/EWQL/Engine sound data. And boy does it load fast!

Wag...the guitars...mostly I was talking about how the guitar did not have an attack on the beginning, or was I hearing things?

Hard to tell with the violin as you had some effects on it. I would using it in an orchestral context so...

thejonsolo wrote:With an SSD intall times are greatly reduced...

However I use a hybrid for my boot drive. I thought SSDs decay with a lot of writing... So I use my SSDs (4, plus the mSata for 4.5 TBs) strictly for my Kontakt/EWQL/Engine sound data. And boy does it load fast!

Wag...the guitars...mostly I was talking about how the guitar did not have an attack on the beginning, or was I hearing things?

Hard to tell with the violin as you had some effects on it. I would using it in an orchestral context so...
The guitar was so washed in reverb and other stuff that, yeah, the attack pretty much vanished. That took a lot of doing.

The violin, clean, sounds amazing. As a solo violin in an orchestral setting, it's the best out there.

It's not necessary to reinstall everything when moving to SSD. This is why hard drive cloning utilities exist.

In my laptop I had a 5400 RPM drive. Did a clone of that drive to my new SSD, plopped SSD back in instead of that old HD, everything worked just fine. Including VSTs (except some that depend on a particular hardware configuration, like XLN Audio Addictive Drums).

EvilDragon wrote:It's not necessary to reinstall everything when moving to SSD. This is why hard drive cloning utilities exist.

In my laptop I had a 5400 RPM drive. Did a clone of that drive to my new SSD, plopped SSD back in instead of that old HD, everything worked just fine. Including VSTs (except some that depend on a particular hardware configuration, like XLN Audio Addictive Drums).
Sure, that works as well. + a lot of data (NI komplete, AIR data files, etc..) can be stored on a different HDD and they don't have to be installed twice. But still, to get everything up and running the way i want it, takes me around 2 to 3 days. I don't care about that though. Building PC's is a hobby, so i like to do it :D

For all intents and purposes prog rock is best not in 4/4. And especially not the whole song. Just say'n.

plexuss wrote:For all intents and purposes prog rock is best not in 4/4. And especially not the whole song. Just say'n.
Prog rock songs in 4/4 time

Song For America - Kansas (over 9 minutes long)
Court Of The Crimson King - King Crimson (over 10 minutes long)
Fountains - Starcastle (over 10 minutes long)

Before I name 100 prog rock songs in 4/4 time, I'll just stop there as I have work to do today.

wagtunes wrote:
plexuss wrote:For all intents and purposes prog rock is best not in 4/4. And especially not the whole song. Just say'n.

Before I name 100 prog rock songs in 4/4 time, I'll just stop there as I have work to do today.
The very first song you named has the 9/8 part in it that starts somewhere at 6th minute.
You really have no idea what you are listening to, do you?
I heard the song for the first time just now and immediately found the 9/8 part, I won't bother with the rest because if you singled out 3 songs (out of dozens) and the first one has a time signature change in it, it would me a massive waste of time scrolling through other songs and proving you wrong and this is embarrassing enough already.

Plexuss: 1
Wags: 0

brainzistor wrote:The very first song you named has the 9/8 part in it that starts somewhere at 6th minute.
I fail to see why this proves that prog songs with odd time signatures > prog songs in 4/4

There's great songs in both categories (although I love me a good 5/4, 7/4 or weirder). Complexity isn't the only characteristic of prog, you know.

Can we get back on topic now?
Demo/soundtrack work: https://soundcloud.com/antaln
My post/prog rock band: http://www.sylvium.com

brainzistor wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

The very first song you named has the 9/8 part in it that starts somewhere at 6th minute.
I heard the song for the first time just now and immediately found the 9/8 part, I won't bother with the rest because if you singled out 3 songs (out of dozens) and the first one has a time signature change in it, it would me a massive waste of time scrolling through other songs and proving you wrong and this is embarrassing enough already.

This is some degrading, and negative stuff. The time you spent writing that you could have rephrased that to something more helpful. How about you give him some resources to read.

"embarrassing enough" <- that's not going to help the OP is it? Motivate them?

What is "Plexuss: 1" going to accomplish other than hurt OP?

It's a shame you could be way more helpful but choose to put someone down

bjporter wrote:
brainzistor wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

This is some degrading, and negative stuff. The time you spent writing that you could have rephrased that to something more helpful. How about you give him some resources to read.

"embarrassing enough" <- that's not going to help the OP is it? Motivate them?

What is "Plexuss: 1" going to accomplish other than hurt OP?

It's a shame you could be way more helpful but choose to put someone down
BJ, the section of that song escaped me. It's a little difficult to keep every second of thousands of songs that you've heard in 50 plus years in your head and I can't even remember the last time I listened to that track.

But a good point was made above. A prog rock song doesn't have to be in something other than 4/4 time, even in part, to be considered progressive rock. And I'm sure I could find some legitimate songs that are in straight 4/4 as examples but I'm just having way too much fun working on my music to take the time to do so.

Perhaps others here would be kind enough to post some examples.

I'm sure we'd all love to hear them.

Anyway, back to work for me.

Everybody have a great day, especially you BJ.

There are a lot of prog rock tracks written in str8 4/4, with optional swing factor.

To formulate it in a full diplomatic way, I'd say that prog rock tracks are more likely to have different time signatures or assymetric rythms than almost all other genres.(Jazz rock or fusion beeing equally, or even more, likely to have such beats too for example). My 0.002.

Else, it's simply true, more sophisticated metrics don't guarantee better tracks, nor the opposite. They just guarantee sophisticated metrics... ( Captain obvious has spoken :oops: )
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Return to “Instruments”