Love regained (synths you're having a renaissance with)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Retro Machines MK2 :love:

With the controls this Kontakt Player instrument has a lot of depth, the morph function is very nice.

FM8, had it for years, used it only casually, sold Komplete, now Ive bought only FM8 and gotten into soundmaking with it and damn it sounds good! And Im only using it DX/megadrive style with sinewaves which is more than enough for tons os sonic landscapes and possibilities. Some of the features on the easy page really opens up possibilities + the unison+width setting. Im also building velocity layers with multiple FM8's with midi fx tham morph the velocity for each instance.

The Mangle. I keep forgetting how innovative it is compared with other sample "manglers" - especially considering the price. And, too, Tangle keeps giving me really different sounds just by trial and error - since I'm still an early learner. But both of these are for people who like to design, as there are really no presets - but that's great for those who want to learn. It pushes you out of the patch nest.

Supernova.
Still sounds better than most soft synths.

ScreamTracker 1.0 (Psi/FC)
Guru 0.0 (Arguru)
Neon (Steinburg)
SLH - Yes, I am a woman, deal with it.

HunterKiller wrote:
urlwolf wrote:Glass Viper. I put it next to my 'new love', ArcSyn, and it made it pale in several occasions. Huge underrated gem. Pity the distracting, extreme noise swoosh on the demo made it a failure commercially, the dev abandoned it, and it's now a 'tiny interface' abomination, giving the feeling of assembling a ship inside a bottle with a toothpick.
Wow that's the perfect way to describe that diamond. It's as if the Minimoog back in the day came with the interface of a typewriter. You wouldn't even know how much power and promise it really contained.
Funny to read the name here...

Glass Viper is a totally unknown and underrated beast. I wonder why ther's so many Dunes & Serums and what ever hyped. I just tested Glass Viper cos' I've no money atm to buy commercial vst's, but if so, Glass Viper would be the first one I would buy. Maybe the most organic synth out there. It touches you...

Cruba wrote:
HunterKiller wrote:
urlwolf wrote:Glass Viper. I put it next to my 'new love', ArcSyn, and it made it pale in several occasions. Huge underrated gem. Pity the distracting, extreme noise swoosh on the demo made it a failure commercially, the dev abandoned it, and it's now a 'tiny interface' abomination, giving the feeling of assembling a ship inside a bottle with a toothpick.
Wow that's the perfect way to describe that diamond. It's as if the Minimoog back in the day came with the interface of a typewriter. You wouldn't even know how much power and promise it really contained.
Funny to read the name here...

Glass Viper is a totally unknown and underrated beast. I wonder why ther's so many Dunes & Serums and what ever hyped. I just tested Glass Viper cos' I've no money atm to buy commercial vst's, but if so, Glass Viper would be the first one I would buy. Maybe the most organic synth out there. It touches you...
I had even never heard of it. Reading your post I went to see its product page, and it seems to be actually very interesting.

It seems to use a very original concept to create the timbre. Certainly many hours of funny experimentations to do with. And for its low price I think I'm going to purchase it. Thanks a lot to have put me on the path of this original synth!... even if it is by chance.

Just a question, Cruba and urlwolf: please, can you tell me if the size of the GUI is really this? (I hope it is at least a bit wider) :

And... if you know other synths of that kind, I'm interested!
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

I decided to reinstall Best Service Engine 2.

I am happy to see Magix keeps on updating it, latest version from December.

With all the free stuff I have collected for it over the years, that is a fine little rompler in istelf with over 110 patches, and 3GB sample connect.

It is easy to build layers, and I find the midi channel settings and key ranges easier to define than in Kontakt.

I just don't get why Magix/Best Service do not release more expansions for it, if they keep updating it.

i wonder why noone mentioned AUDJOO HELIX. to me it is one of the best synths out there. the osc section is second to none. while i understand that you have to grasp the synth and give it some time to learn, this synth is beyond recognition when it comes to what you can achieve with its oscs - and it must be the most cpu friendly synth there is, when taking its features into account. i was able to tweak pads out of it with just one osc, no fx and no filters and they sound so wide and lush - i really struggle to do so in _that_ quality in other synths.
when it comes to the most underrated synth - helix must be _it_. and i'm not easily impressed with synths, given the fact that my job is since 1998, to prefessionally screw around on those...
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

As I remember the dev have stated a year or two ago that Helix will not be upgraded any further, that could be a reason.

brok landers wrote:i wonder why noone mentioned AUDJOO HELIX. to me it is one of the best synths out there. the osc section is second to none. while i understand that you have to grasp the synth and give it some time to learn, this synth is beyond recognition when it comes to what you can achieve with its oscs - and it must be the most cpu friendly synth there is, when taking its features into account. i was able to tweak pads out of it with just one osc, no fx and no filters and they sound so wide and lush - i really struggle to do so in _that_ quality in other synths.
+1

Another one I really like that isn't mentioned as much on here is Strobe 2. :party: But then again it isn't an older synth...so I will have to think about another "oldie but goodie"...

Numanoid wrote:As I remember the dev have stated a year or two ago that Helix will not be upgraded any further, that could be a reason.
so? it's 64 bit and everything works, virtually bugfree... a capable synth that is 64 bit... it could go a loooong way...
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

brok landers wrote:
Numanoid wrote:As I remember the dev have stated a year or two ago that Helix will not be upgraded any further, that could be a reason.
so? it's 64 bit and everything works, virtually bugfree... a capable synth that is 64 bit... it could go a loooong way...
No doubt, I am just stating what could be a reason.

I've been using Fusor again. Some parts of its functionality have not been explored by most people (if any!), like for example audio-rate modulation of one synth with another.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

brok landers wrote:i wonder why noone mentioned AUDJOO HELIX. to me it is one of the best synths out there. the osc section is second to none. while i understand that you have to grasp the synth and give it some time to learn, this synth is beyond recognition when it comes to what you can achieve with its oscs - and it must be the most cpu friendly synth there is, when taking its features into account. i was able to tweak pads out of it with just one osc, no fx and no filters and they sound so wide and lush - i really struggle to do so in _that_ quality in other synths.
when it comes to the most underrated synth - helix must be _it_. and i'm not easily impressed with synths, given the fact that my job is since 1998, to prefessionally screw around on those...
Tried it, but somehow the sound and the interface don't let me enjoy it (certainly not in the way I enjoy a synth you co-developed, The Legend, though, I know they're completely, absolutely different).

I am having a renaissance love with Sylenth1 right now. I am enjoying it, though I'd like it more if it was updated further with some added features.

Return to “Instruments”