One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yes, Win 32 plugins seem to be by far the most common, which makes a windows 32 vst host a staple for anybody making recorded music IMO. It's dirt cheap, too. If I spent $200 on a used windows laptop, I'd be upgrading my current setup.

I love linux, but we need more dev support. First I switched to Reaper for the built in plugin bridging (where you can even embed the briged UI) but now I've changed all my daws to 32.

HG Fortune’s work is amazing! R.I.P. I suggest his fantastic STS-26 or SwampXT!

The CPS synths (including Nightlife which they made for mixcraft, though this is the most difficult synth of theirs for me to run) is all amazing stuff, often with dozens of wavetables. Some can be cpu heavy (like Splash) but it's worth it.

Definetly yes mmGhost, I’d love to see any production videos of yours that you can make. Also, thanks for the compliment on my synth1 bass (which I believe was a slightly fm'd sub sine layered below a pwm'd square with an automated, highly saturated filter, similar to what you suggested, and chorus).

I just dropped by to whistleblow :party: dimension expander as a Roland Dimension D style chorus-based multi-voice effect, though far less coloring than Wok VDimension. In the same breath - I support the use of choruses to streamline stereo width, voice duplication and detuning, while conserving resources... pls, everyone, accept chorus into your hearts... :hail:

(the best workaround I've found to enable a similar workflow as the standard chorus is Reaper's JS: MDA Pseudo-Stereo, which you can also find in ReaPlugs as ReaJS > Liteon > pseudostereo)

We need another FM Synth, like VST2413. That'll be a real challenge, both for sound design and navigating its UI (or lack thereof)
It's very tasty, I swear!

Agreed, I'd love to dive into an FM synth. :hyper:

I have to say I always crave a sine wave and pitch envelope :pray: in a synth, especially for percussion. The closest thing I’ve found by HG fortune is the pitch envelope of FortuneCookie2012, and it would probably be a great choice for kvr osc (also “inspiration flows into your music” is the best text I’ve ever seen on a synth, though creating noise is somewhat of a challenge).
Behold the wonders of a pitch envelope!
https://soundcloud.com/574x/hg-fortunes ... mo/s-r7qm3

EDIT: WHOOPS I uploaded the wrong project, but at least it had the right patches :lol:
Here's the right project file, too:
574X - HG Fortune FortuneCookie2012 Demo - Organized Project File and Patches.rar
FortuneCookie2012 doesn’t so much exemplify the expressive xy pads and pcm va marriage that HG Fortune did so well. ATM, rather than SwampXT, TheTiger (or as the sophisticated among us would call it, “TheTigger”) would be my first choice to showcase that in all its glory, while minimizing the learning curve. It does do AM Synthesis, which is somewhat rare. If only it was less buggy. (This one’s a little squirrelly.. pls bear in mind I usually make ~a dozen of these track sketches before I pick a song to finish and submit to the group, but these were the first thing I came up with.)
https://soundcloud.com/574x/hg-fortunes ... mo/s-Uz5Q7
574X - HG Fortune TheTiger Demo - Organized Project File.rar
TheTiger 574X Demo Patches.rar
I made ~6 patches for both of these project files, the second uses one of them twice. It's pretty minimal, by my standards. I used some ReaEQs, ReaComps, JS: Stereo Field Manipulators, and JS: Zero Crossing Maximizers. :party:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 574X on Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Why is this thread so dead. Not to get too ahead, but it's like I said...
I agree that doing an FM synth would be fantastic.

FMMF and DoubleSix XXL are the best free ones I've found (other than Dexed and Oxe, ofc), but I should mention DoubleSix presets are... :scared: abrasive to people around me :lol: . It seems like it would be very valuable to learn the ins and outs of FMMF and DoubleSix XXL.

Also, lets do Taron's synth! :party:

Any thoughts? :?:

574X wrote:Why is this thread so dead. Not to get too ahead, but it's like I said...
I agree that doing an FM synth would be fantastic.

FMMF and DoubleSix XXL are the best free ones I've found (other than Dexed and Oxe, ofc), but I should mention DoubleSix presets are... :scared: abrasive to people around me :lol: . It seems like it would be very valuable to learn the ins and outs of FMMF and DoubleSix XXL.

Also, lets do Taron's synth! :party:

Any thoughts? :?:
I actually have Doublesix and love it. The UI is s unique. I just don't do a lot of FM stuff.

574X wrote:Also, lets do Taron's synth!
Problematic for me because Reaper doesn't recognize it on Ubuntu Studio via Wine. I am not the only one with this little inconvenience. Taron?

A shame because its concept sounds so very charming ...

Will try out those FM machines, 57.

Since we are at OSC #97 now...is there anything planned for #100? Like an "any synth" one allowing paid effect plugins perhaps? And some special prices would be cool! :wink:

Good suggestions :)

Next month will be the 100th OSC (counting 2 special OSCs), so we could do something cool for both that and OSC100

bjporter wrote:Good suggestions :)

Next month will be the 100th OSC (counting 2 special OSCs), so we could do something cool for both that and OSC100
Sounds great. Too bad I won't be able to participate. I'm so heavily into my music now that between it and my business I just don't have the time.

But I will be checking in to see what's in store.

This is after all a huge milestone.

Any synth plus commercial effects please! :wink:

I'm confused.
I was expecting the 100th to be #100 but I see there was a CM and a NAS2C1
OCD kicking in
#100 = 100 , #98 != 100

Yes it matters

Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

And I thought I'd be getting things done today

574X wrote:
And I thought I'd be getting things done today

Did you check out kbrowns stuff ?

Warning : you wont get any work done for at least a week ...

e@rs wrote:Any synth plus commercial effects please! :wink:
That seems like the proper way to go.
+1 from me

Return to “Instruments”