Linnstrument Sync

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Mark,

I've tried to reproduce your system as much as possible here and I can't get this to happen. I'm using Live 9.7, also two tracks, tempo 142, one playing drums sounds on the beat and then the LinnStrument sequencer sending out 16th MIDI notes towards the marimba track. It's been running for a while now without any problems. Could you maybe using the free MIDI Monitor tool to capture the outgoing MIDI that is send to the LinnStrument from Live? Make sure to clear its contents right before you hit play in Live and to stop Live when the LinnStrument sequencer stops advancing, then send me the logs from MIDI Monitor.

Thanks!

Geert
Moog software - LinnStrument - RackBlox - CableCube - Knobotron - Eigenharp Alpha/Tau/Pico - SendMIDI / ReceiveMIDI - MIDI Tape Recorder - Geco MIDI Leap - Steelstring Guitar - Electric Guitar - Vocals - Dynamod Games - Kung-fu

Thanks Geert,
I'll do this when I get home on Friday.

Cheers,
Mark.

Or contact me directly at support@rogerlinndesign.com and we can do a video call to figure it out quickly.

gbevin wrote:Hi Mark,

I've tried to reproduce your system as much as possible here and I can't get this to happen. I'm using Live 9.7, also two tracks, tempo 142, one playing drums sounds on the beat and then the LinnStrument sequencer sending out 16th MIDI notes towards the marimba track. It's been running for a while now without any problems. Could you maybe using the free MIDI Monitor tool to capture the outgoing MIDI that is send to the LinnStrument from Live? Make sure to clear its contents right before you hit play in Live and to stop Live when the LinnStrument sequencer stops advancing, then send me the logs from MIDI Monitor.

Thanks!

Geert
Hi Geert,
Sorry for the delay getting back to you on this - crazy with work and largely away from home at the minute. I've created some MIDI Monitor log files, which I can send through. Should I send them to your Uwyn email address, or somewhere else?

Interestingly, I synced Linnstrument to my Akai Max49 yesterday via a Midi cable and it ran for about 6 hours with no glitches, so it's obviously something to do with my computer setup or the volume of data going over USB. I've just tried with synching to Logic Pro X and to Reaktor and both do the same as Live. One thing I've noticed from the logs is that Linnstrument seems to send the clock that it receives back out of USB, so I have clock going both ways - I've not got Live picking up this external clock, so it shouldn't affect me, but is this by design?

Thanks,
Mark.

Hi Mark,

Please send it to my Uwyn address.

I'm starting to think that what you're seeing is a MIDI feedback due to LinnStrument generating MIDI clock itself. Yes, this is by design since it's easy to turn off receiving MIDI clock and when you need it, it's just there. Maybe this is something that be related to the settings of your MIDI interface, which I seem to remember is an iConnectivity one. The routing there can become quite complex and maybe it's causes a MIDI feedback loop.

Take care,

Geert
Moog software - LinnStrument - RackBlox - CableCube - Knobotron - Eigenharp Alpha/Tau/Pico - SendMIDI / ReceiveMIDI - MIDI Tape Recorder - Geco MIDI Leap - Steelstring Guitar - Electric Guitar - Vocals - Dynamod Games - Kung-fu

Thanks Geert. I've just dropped you a couple of files through. Let me know if you need anything else from me.

Best wishes,
Mark.

Just updated to the latest OS and tried it from bar 1 in Cubase and it is still the same problem as outlined in my original post, just to let you know.

Nick.

I was able to reproduce stratblue's problem here: with Live as sync source, LinnStrument's sequence will randomly respond as late as a 1/4 note relative to Live's metronome. So this will make it easier to fix.

Just following up on this one from a few months ago, my problem with sequencer sync is now fixed following a beta fix that Geert sent me a few days ago. The delay was entirely down to me being too busy to send Geert log files, so as usual the service from Geert and Roger was exemplary.

Thanks,
Mark.

Thanks for letting us know, Mark.

Greetings All
Is it just me or is the Ableton sync issue still present in 2.10?

Thanks!

Here's the fix:
1) In Live, click Live menu > Preferences > MIDI Link tab.
2) In the "Output" LinnStrument MIDI" area, change "MIDI Clock Type" to "Song".

That did it! Thanks a lot!

Hi there.

I was wondering if there is any movement on this yet. I'm running Cubase 6 (I know!) and I have tried 'midi clock always follows project position', 'always send start message' and 'send midi clock in stop mode' none of which cure the problem, the Linnstrument seems to still be a very erratic 8th note out with all of the settings despite installing the 2.2 os update recently. It's by no means a deal breaker but it would be a great facility to have. Thanks.

Nick.

I think you're referring to the former issue that if LinnStrument did not receive MIDI Song Position Pointer in addition to MIDI Clock and Start/Stop/Continue, it would sometimes start late. This was fixed in the current version 2.2.0.

If you're already running 2.2.0, then I think you're saying that when LinnStrument's Arpeggiator or Step Sequencer is syncing to Cubase 6, it syncs correctly in both tempo and position, but that the timing of notes generated by LinnStrument is sometimes erratic. In other words, some notes may be a little late or early but over the long term it maintains sync. Is this what you're saying?

If so, then one possible cause could be that you're sending a large amount of MIDI information from Cubase that may be overloading your MIDI interface or USB port. Or if you're using Cubase 6, you may also be using an older, slower computer that may be overloaded. To test this, I suggest creating an empty sequence in Cubase and a simple sequence with only 1/4 notes in LinnStrument's Step Sequencer. Then turn on the metronome in Cubase and play it, listening for sync between the metronome and LinnStrument's 1/4 notes. If the erratic timing goes away, then this proves that the problem is related to overloading of old software or hardware.

If this is not the problem you're experiencing, please write me at support@rogerlinndesign.com because this seems more like a problem that is unique to your specific situation.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”