Diva in Reaper 5 (multithreading issues? )

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

Posting here cause doesn't seem to find on the internet...

Does anyone know if there are possible issues with multi-threading in Reaper and with Diva?

Have 3 Diva instances for testing:
all voices, divine mode (tried the multithreaded button as well as with or without the 16 sample latency within Diva's settings) the sounds gets glittchy/stuttery if the CPU seems to go above 70-80%
(M-Audio ASIO driver, 512 sample buffer so.. I don't think it's because of a too low buffer setting )

Anyone have any experience with this?
(as well as maybe some tips on multi-threading in Reaper? I always keep fiddling with settings and seems I keep getting nowhere atm)

CPU i5-4570 Haswell, 64bit Win7, 64bit Reaper 5.33 ..but 32bit DIVA vst plug

I'm thinking it could be clashing with Reaper's anticipative processing. Best leave multicore off.

EvilDragon wrote:I'm thinking it could be clashing with Reaper's anticipative processing. Best leave multicore off.
you mean the switch in Diva? ...seems to get worse.. I also tried disabling the anticipative thing in Reaper but also made it worse with Diva's multi-threading off.

Hmmm... Not sure then :/

I do vaguely recall that Diva's multicore switch might not be compatible with all DAWs out there...

BTW you don't really want to have anticipative processing disabled - that will always result in higher CPU usage overall...

Also - why 32-bit Diva when everything else is 64-bit? It might not be a huge difference, but no bridging is better than bridging... :)

EvilDragon wrote:Also - why 32-bit Diva when everything else is 64-bit? It might not be a huge difference, but no bridging is better than bridging... :)
I've been using FL Studio which is "natively" 32bit so yeah.... now making some quick tests with what I have installed.

Will play more with those settings... maybe also worth taking a closer look into BIOS? (already optimized Win7 for performance), cause many things there are set to "auto" .. hmm

You could try but not sure if that'll make a huge difference, really...

Hi,
having no issues with 3 instances of Diva on my system (win7-64, reaper-32).
Multicore set on. Divine Mode.

AVG cpu usage displayed in Reaper perf meter: 25%.

Try to use accuracy-mode "great" instead of "divine".

Your CPU?

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3720QM CPU @ 2.6 GHz.
(4/8 cores).

And yes, I agree, running Diva 32 bit in Reaper-64 makes no sense......

Chris-S wrote:Try to use accuracy-mode "great" instead of "divine".
I think his CPU should be able to handle divine mode... its base frequency is 3.2 GHz, which is faster than yours, and it's also a quadcore (no HT though)...

3ee wrote:Have 3 Diva instances for testing:
all voices, divine mode (tried the multithreaded button as well as with or without the 16 sample latency within Diva's settings) the sounds gets glittchy/stuttery if the CPU seems to go above 70-80%
(M-Audio ASIO driver, 512 sample buffer so.. I don't think it's because of a too low buffer setting )

CPU i5-4570 Haswell, 64bit Win7, 64bit Reaper 5.33 ..but 32bit DIVA vst plug
what's the cpu load with just a single instance - sounds to me like you're just running out of cpu (that i5 is only 4 core/4 thread). A larger asio buffer size will only help so much - you sill have to have enough cpu available to fill that buffer in time and at 80% that's not likely

jdnz wrote:what's the cpu load with just a single instance - sounds to me like you're just running out of cpu (that i5 is only 4 core/4 thread). A larger asio buffer size will only help so much - you sill have to have enough cpu available to fill that buffer in time and at 80% that's not likely

in this particular test, CPU meter in Reaper:

1 instance - about 12%
2 ...........- about 33% (task manager shows 60% ..hmm? )
3 ...........- about 80% (starts to "robo" stutter) "RT CPU" is around 12 to 30% and task manager shows 100% in all cores! :D lol ..

so, it's simply the case that I'm running out of CPU resources? The CPU meter(s) in Reaper show a pretty different story thus I though I was having troubles.. not even sure that I'm not having troubles with it since in FL Studio having some multi-threading issues trying to sort out right now.

I've always had issues with getting meaningful readings from CPU meter in Reaper. My gut feeling from past experience is any reading of about 6% or more during real-time usage often leads to some sort of audible corruption. I have 4 cores with hyperthreading enabled on an older i7-3770.
Feel free to call me Brian.

bmrzycki wrote:I've always had issues with getting meaningful readings from CPU meter in Reaper. My gut feeling from past experience is any reading of about 6% or more during real-time usage often leads to some sort of audible corruption. I have 4 cores with hyperthreading enabled on an older i7-3770.
hmm, this makes sense... I usually notice 0.2% with RT CPU but when it gets all glitchy it gets up to around 30% in this case

Reaper performance meter is completely bogus when it comes to plugins that do multi-threading (like Acustica Audio plugins). I've completely stopped relying on it.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Return to “u-he”