Orchestral library

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

nineofkings wrote:It's because you're not considering special editions and other bundle offers. You can get a quite capable full orchestra with solo instruments for $300, and at that price point it's equal to or better than spending the equivalent amount on EW.

I am not finding these prices either. Could you please out up a link to a bundle at this price as I can only find this:

https://vsl.co.at/en/Special_Editions/S ... ete_Bundle

I'm really interested in VSL but I cannot seem to find these budget prices.

I was mostly referring to this: https://vsl.co.at/en/Special_Edition_Co ... ition_Vol1

Which IMO is better than comparably-priced EWQLSO Gold, especially when considering that it has true legato.

nineofkings wrote:I was mostly referring to this: https://vsl.co.at/en/Special_Edition_Co ... ition_Vol1

Which IMO is better than comparably-priced EWQLSO Gold, especially when considering that it has true legato.

Oh, thanks! That has most of what I need other than a choir and I found it for 95 more.

Do you know if these bundles ever go on sale?

Sometimes, but not super steep sales. Most I've seen is 25%. You can occasionally find it used

nineofkings wrote:It's because you're not considering special editions and other bundle offers. You can get a quite capable full orchestra with solo instruments for $300, and at that price point it's equal to or better than spending the equivalent amount on EW.
All I'm doing is comparing apples to apples.

You want to do special offers? I can get EWQL Brass, Strings, Woodwinds and Percussion for $635.

Let's see VSL even come close to that with their top libraries.

And if I want to go gold, which I use, instead of diamond, it's half that price.

So go on. Top that with VSL price wise.

Special editions are not "special offers." They're slightly reduced libraries for a greatly reduced price, all the time. And even the reduced versions are comparable to the full versions of EWQLSO, because the full versions are so incredibly extensive that a reduced feature set still has what most people would need.

nineofkings wrote:Special editions are not "special offers." They're slightly reduced libraries for a greatly reduced price, all the time. And even the reduced versions are comparable to the full versions of EWQLSO, because the full versions are so incredibly extensive that a reduced feature set still has what most people would need.
How do you know? Do you own EWQL? Or are you just going by what people tell you? Or is this just some made up stuff like half of what gets posted here?

Unless you actually own EWQL you can't possibly know what features each edition (Silver, Gold, Diamond) has.

So, are you an EWQL owner?

wagtunes wrote:
nineofkings wrote:Special editions are not "special offers." They're slightly reduced libraries for a greatly reduced price, all the time. And even the reduced versions are comparable to the full versions of EWQLSO, because the full versions are so incredibly extensive that a reduced feature set still has what most people would need.
How do you know? Do you own EWQL? Or are you just going by what people tell you? Or is this just some made up stuff like half of what gets posted here?

Unless you actually own EWQL you can't possibly know what features each edition (Silver, Gold, Diamond) has.

That info is correct about VSL. I've used both and the lite version of the VSL orchestra is at least as flexible as ewql Hollywood orchestra with the symphonic orchestra. I've used all of the above. I'd much rather use VSL for pretty much any use and that's before the issues with their software and patch programming. You won't find any of the crazy deals ewql are constantly having on the VSL stuff so even at the lite end its one of the priciest options. Having the option to buy second hand though helps. Also having the option to resell if your needs change.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

I am a VSL Special Edition owner. And EW provides very detailed specs on their website, so I can "possibly know." I'm not trying to fight you or tarnish your reputation. I'm just going off what I know:
-The recording quality of both is very high
-EW is recorded with reverb, VSL without. This is down to taste but VSL is more flexible
-EW Gold has some specialized articulations that VSL requires more SE or instrument purchases for, like sordino and col legno
-VSL, however, has true legato and portamento articulations, which are commonly used rather than specialized

As you can see, there are several tradeoffs that clearly affect the sound. This is what makes them *ahem* comparable. I'm not saying VSL is the only library for real composers and if you use EW you've been duped. For $300-400, you get similar-quality packages with meaningfully different strengths n weaknesses. That's it. The idea that to use a fully VSL orchestra you have to spend thousands of dollars is just not true.
Last edited by nineofkings on Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ah_Dziz wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

That info is correct about VSL. I've used both and the lite version of the VSL orchestra is at least as flexible as ewql Hollywood orchestra with the symphonic orchestra. I've used all of the above. I'd much rather use VSL for pretty much any use and that's before the issues with their software and patch programming. You won't find any of the crazy deals ewql are constantly having on the VSL stuff so even at the lite end its one of the priciest options. Having the option to buy second hand though helps. Also having the option to resell if your needs change.
Okay, thanks. Now at least I'm getting some straight answers from somebody who has used both.

Now, here's the thing. I already own EWQL. I am happy with the sound. I listened to the VSL stuff. Not just the lite versions but the full blown versions.

I hear NO difference. Certainly nothing that makes me go "Damn, I wasted all this money on EWQL when I could have had this AMAZING library from VSL at just a little higher price."

I don't hear it. And ultimately, that's all that matters. I went to their site, saw that price tag, and expected to be BLOWN AWAY by the quality.

I wasn't. No more so than I am by EWQL stuff.

So that's all that matters to me. I have zero incentive to go out and buy a library that gives me no additional benefit that's "important" to me.

Hope that's crystal clear now.

Return to “Instruments”