How to make this vocal chop in Logic? (video example included)

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi! :)

I Found this cool vocal chop in a song from Jay Hardway called "Wake Up". Here's a video showing how it's done in FL Studio;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfXWe315JJY

So basically he has just cut words in a phrase and put each word on its own midi note - nothing scary! But as you hopefully can see he is transposing the words up and down even though they stay on the same midi note (the 3rd, 4th and 5th notes in the melody are good examples showing what I mean).

So the question is not how it's done but how I can do this in logic pro x? Kontakt 5 maybe?

Thanks in advance,

jay uploads videos of some of his projects and explains the production involved, the vocals are chopped in fruity slicer. for logic you need to use the exs24, my way is just chopping the sample up then drag them into the exs24. anyone that knows a more efficient way please reply. thanks

ImpossibleMachines wrote:jay uploads videos of some of his projects and explains the production involved, the vocals are chopped in fruity slicer. for logic you need to use the exs24, my way is just chopping the sample up then drag them into the exs24. anyone that knows a more efficient way please reply. thanks
Thanks - yes, I saw it. But the problem I have when I chop one phrase and put each sample in exs24 is that I can't transpose a specific sample up and down, because then it plays another sample on that specific midi note.

Maybe to put the words more far away from each other is an option if it is only a few samples we're talking about. But I would like to now another way around it for days when I have a lot of samples to work with.

modernrockstar wrote:
ImpossibleMachines wrote:jay uploads videos of some of his projects and explains the production involved, the vocals are chopped in fruity slicer. for logic you need to use the exs24, my way is just chopping the sample up then drag them into the exs24. anyone that knows a more efficient way please reply. thanks
Thanks - yes, I saw it. But the problem I have when I chop one phrase and put each sample in exs24 is that I can't transpose a specific sample up and down, because then it plays another sample on that specific midi note.

Maybe to put the words more far away from each other is an option if it is only a few samples we're talking about. But I would like to now another way around it for days when I have a lot of samples to work with.
not sure dude, don't think logic has the note fine pitch event that fl has. you could always use fl to do these types of things then just bounce the melodies into logic, which is what i do.

Try to use Kontakt form Native Instruments.
You can drag the complete vocal in it or just the chopped parts you want.
Maybe try to use several instances of Kontakt or putting the words on different octaves.

Here's a video on how you can use Kontakt as a sampler: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UngtoD5Kzro&t=461s

There are a lot more tutorials on You Tube about sampling with Kontakt, I’m sure you’ll find something that helps you.

Return to “Sound Design”