Which synths have the best presets?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I always thought that Rob Papen's Synths have the best presets.
I am using Predator now since 10 years and still find it amazing.

Sonic Projects OP-X II
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

1 vote for Rob Papen and U-he

The best browsing goes to Retrologue and Padshop. Why? Because when you change the preset to next or previous, the sound doesn't cut and there is zero artificials in the sound. The transition moves smoothly. They behave like those nice keyboards from Yamaha ..etc.

I really hope the other developers do the same for their synths. This feature adds this comfort when browsing the presets and draw a big smile on your face :D

I always liked Discovery presets :)

discoDSP wrote:I always liked Discovery presets :)
TBH I always disliked Discovery presets. It's a great sounding synth but the factory presets are mostly of the kind "look how I've modulated this and that". I miss basic playable sounds, like leads, keys, pads and stuff.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

kevvvvv wrote: You might well ask - what are "great presets"?
The ones i make myself.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

So you don't use presets at all? Otherwise I don't get the analogy. Because when you bought the synths you listed, you certainly paid for the included presets as well.

Silly would be to claim to make your own "lunch" if you use factory presets, but not when you use preset packs. In both cases someone else made them and you paid for them.

tbh I think this whole lunch metaphor is daft, I can cook perfectly well but I still enjoy eating out in fancy restaurants where the cooking may occasionally be better than mine (I am under no illusions on that score). I'm a competent cook, occasionally maybe even great, but I also know I can both enjoy the work of master chefs and learn from it. Which is why even though I have made (and mostly released for free) presets for more plugins than most commercial sound design companies I will also buy them from people whose work I admire and respect, and consider to do a much better job than me in many respects. Sound design is an art form, being even a great artist (let alone a competent one) doesn't stop you admiring, learning from and buying the art works of other artists, the same is true of sound design.

Omnisphere 2

Come on, it isn't even a contest. It just wins because. :D

Zebra, Diva
Murderous duck!

Return to “Instruments”