Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yeah, I don't think it's snake oil. Not sure about that plate though, it's nice and easy (I'm not sure I can cut out shielding myself w/o getting an exacto, and then, I dunno)

I think I'm over-thinking it. My MIM jazz bass is single coils and DOES NOT have shielding. I can crank the distortion and it's fine, even rolled off one way or the other.

Yeah- it does have that tinfoil hat reputation I guess,
my cable example isn't hard evidence,
coz I don't really know what I'm doing.

Any electronic engineers wanna chime in?

(btw- how is a 7 pin MIDI cable meant to be wired- It shouldn't be shield to pin 4 should it?)

I dunno about "tin foil hat" but most "prewired" kits have the foil I'm talking about. The dimarzio/seymour duncan have it where the pots are. 920 is like the photo of the old pickguard I have with it lining the pups to the pots.

I don't know in all truth,
what shielding is required and what it does to the signal-
if it filters it a bit and can be overdone.
EMI is weird stuff 8D

I had a quick google,
and the 7 pin din cables were originally made right,
with the shield on pin 2, which I thought was pin 4.
My hex guitar application requires the mod I did.
Damn, I can't just get the din cables stock.

honestly, i don't know much about this either. it stands to reason though that if shielding removes the 'hum frequency', that some tone would be lost. on that other hand, is it so? maybe the frequency of the guitar playing, and the hum are two separate things, and the hum can be removed without any tone loss.

sometimes though, the buzz is in the key of the song, and if it's not too bad, it actually adds a little something. ymmv

in my experience, one sure way to eliminate buzz is to turn off all drive/distortion/fuzz, and play clean (yeah right, like i want to be doing that all of the time)...

well, the surh system and some other kits as well as noiseless pickups are supposed to do just that, remove the hum without the filtering affect.

Also, keep in mind that I didn't say shielding was snake oil. Shielding is essential. It's the how much, what kind and where that gets interesting.

I had a buddy put all that copper tape shit in the cavity of a strat clone. The guitar went from sounding dull to sounding like shit. It stayed dull and got uhhhm thin. Hard to explain, but you know fluffy audio definitions.

In the process of removing the copper tape stuff, we ended up removing all of the cheap ass foil that was on the underside of the scratch plate as well. I re-soldered the switchs, pots and pups. The guitar sounded fantastic. So the question ... did we have to jack with the shielding or was simply resoldering the connections the only thing that needed to be done?
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

I had SO MUCH difficulty with hum and my new house. My old house/studio = dead quiet with hi gain - same equipment.
The journey away from HUM went down many different paths and finally ended with a change to Fender Noiseless PUs in the Strat. Freakin painful trial and errors to get here. All the while, my Parker with humbuckers played dead quiet.
Best of luck !

peace
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Well, most of the pickgaurds have some sort of shielding. So, I dunno. I think I'll ask a tech. That way I'll be even more confused with whatever "their" opinion is :lol:

A lot of it has to do with your house wiring and sometimes the wiring outside your house.

Computers can't be shielded internally. What you can do is create a Faraday cage for your computer by building a simple wooden box around it and painting the inside with either duct tape or aluminum paint. Granted not a great idea if you are connecting to the internet via wi-fi to your router. Putting it in another room may not be a solution if you have drywall walls.

You know those energy saving lightbulbs. Well basically they're florescent. Swap em out for LED.

If your studio is in the basement make sure it's a good distance from your fuse box.

During the 60's and early 70's house wiring was often cheap unshielded wiring. Bare wire exposed caused a lot of house fires and was responsible for static electric "snaps" by simply running your bare feet across the carpeting while the air conditioning was running.

Some people (farmers) like to put up electric fences to keep the cattle in and unwelcome visitors out. Sure it seems like a great idea but not so great for your home wiring and static electricity.

While I'm fairly certain everyone here has moved up to the current flat screen monitors,,,CRT's can be hell. Keep a safe distance between your pups and your monitor nonetheless.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

The ones at GC indeed do not have anything.

I want to do this right, there is absolutely NO REASON to just willy-nilly this.

Soldering is easy, and I have an ok gun, but I'll have to do more research.

Mister Natural wrote:we seem to be hung-up on solid-bodies around here lately. In the immortal words of Monty Python; now for something completely different :
anyone have one of these ?

peace
I love my jazz boxes. It's going to take serious lottery winnings for me to start collecting again,

I think about all the time I play and all the songs I play. Which mostly revolves around Jazz Standards. Sure occasionally I'll pull out a classic rock tune or two. That's been my feelings with pedalboards as well. I don't have any stomp boxes, my korg pandora mini was noisy as heck and didn't last too long (memory error) I can't afford anything to fit the bill. If I did I'd have to be gigging again.

Acoustics don't last long with me. I've always had problems with them. Still I love looking at them and listening to them with people who get into acoustic playing.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

@incubus I'm very curious what your opinion of the emerson prewired kit is. I need to replace the controls on a warmoth and I'm leaning towards just getting the kit you bought. However, it has Humbuckers .. so I'm thinking 500 ohm pots might be better

I'll know in a couple of days. Waited till today for b-day money before I take 'er in to GC and decide what pickguard to get :D

Will be taking it there tomorrow, making a decision and then will wire it up probably by Monday night. It's GOT to kick ass over that rats nest :roll:

incubus wrote:I'll know in a couple of days. Waited till today for b-day money before I take 'er in to GC and decide what pickguard to get :D

Will be taking it there tomorrow, making a decision and then will wire it up probably by Monday night. It's GOT to kick ass over that rats nest :roll:
Maybe you found the golden ratio wiring configuration and now you're just messing it up :lol:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”