Is Crusher-X worth getting?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote:
wakax wrote:you can mix dry signal with effected one as you like inside Crusher-X.
it also feedbacks inside if you want to.
No, what I meant was, this isn't a VST synth. I can't load it up like I load up something like The Legend and play it. I have to load up another synth and then insert Crusher X on that synth as an effect as I would say an EQ or compressor, correct?
It can be played like a synth, just load a WAV and play it on your keyboard, but I told you that before.

Sampleconstruct wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
wakax wrote:you can mix dry signal with effected one as you like inside Crusher-X.
it also feedbacks inside if you want to.
No, what I meant was, this isn't a VST synth. I can't load it up like I load up something like The Legend and play it. I have to load up another synth and then insert Crusher X on that synth as an effect as I would say an EQ or compressor, correct?
It can be played like a synth, just load a WAV and play it on your keyboard, but I told you that before.
I'm sorry Simon. I'm confused. I could have sworn when I first asked you about it (I can find the thread if I have to) you specifically told me that this wasn't a VST synth like something like Omnsiphere. That I had to insert it into the FX chain on a loaded synth in order for it to work.

Is that not true? I could have sworn that's specifically what you told me.

Just search this thread, I never said that. You can either use it as an FX or as a midi-controlled sample granulator.

Sampleconstruct wrote:Just search this thread, I never said that. You can either use it as an FX or as a midi-controlled sample granulator.
Just noticed that this is not your thread, wags, so search that other thread if you want to verify.

Sampleconstruct wrote:Just search this thread, I never said that. You can either use it as an FX or as a midi-controlled sample granulator.
Okay, here is the one thread reporting the GUI problem in Cubase.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6615918

Having gotten that out of the way, here is the reality of how Crusher-X works and doesn't work in Cubase. I can't speak for other DAWs though as I pointed out in another thread, it works flawlessly in MuLab.

In Cubase, when you go to your list of VST synths in order to load something like a synth, Crusher-X does not show up. You cannot load it into Cubase like you would a synth. At least not in 7 or 8.

When inserting it into the FX chain slot to load as you would an EQ or compressor, the GUI doesn't show at all so there is no way TO load a wav file because you can't see what you're doing.

That is why I haven't purchased Crusher-X. It looked like the best granular synth out there hands down. But it simply does not work in Cubase in any manner, shape or form.

I hope that is all clear now as to why I am asking this question again. Is the Cubase issue fixed? Can I now use the new version, whenever it comes out, the way it's supposed to be used.

That's all I'm asking.

You don't have to make me feel like I'm stupid by telling me you already told me something that didn't matter the first time you told me because the product doesn't work.

Man, just relax, you have to route Midi to the plugin in Cubase, then you can play wave on your keyboard. Don't get so upset all the time about nothing.

as a betatester and a Reaper user (don't have/use Cubase...)
and as a human (prone to mistakes) i'm saying that:

a) it's NOT a vsti or aui
it's an FX. (technically)
BUT
b) you can load sound and trigger it and play sort of "granular sampler"
as Simon says.
c) it has new surround modes for Cubase users so
i think it works in Cubase. BUT I'M not sure. I cannot test that!

I'll check it out in Cubase later today.

Sampleconstruct wrote:Man, just relax, you have to route Midi to the plugin in Cubase, then you can play wave on your keyboard. Don't get so upset all the time about nothing.
I understand that. Here's the problem. It's all documented in this thread (finally found it) and confirmed by another member.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6615919

In short, if you are a Cubase user, at least up to now, you're screwed.

So, I was hoping for 2 things. But I'll take even just one of them.

1) They make a VSTi version of Crusher-X.

2) They at least fix the FX version so that it works in Cubase.

I'll be happy with either one.

See, the beauty of MuLab is that it doesn't differentiate between a VSTi and FX in the way you load it. So I can load Crusher-X in MuLab and play it as if it were a VSTi.

Unfortunately, too many things I use don't work in MuLab so I can't use it as my main DAW.

crusher-X 6 works fine in Cubase 8, can't get Cubase 7.5 to boot on my system (probably not compatible with El Cap) so I can't test it in 7.5

Sampleconstruct wrote:crusher-X 6 works fine in Cubase 8, can't get Cubase 7.5 to boot on my system (probably not compatible with El Cap) so I can't test it in 7.5
Well, I'll just have to wait until a public demo is available, download it and try it out and hope for the best.

Thanks for giving this a shot.

wagtunes wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:crusher-X 6 works fine in Cubase 8, can't get Cubase 7.5 to boot on my system (probably not compatible with El Cap) so I can't test it in 7.5
Well, I'll just have to wait until a public demo is available, download it and try it out and hope for the best.

After all I did get Cubase 7.5 to work, but crusher-X 6 wasn't recognized, I told the dev about it, let's see what he says.

Sampleconstruct wrote:
wagtunes wrote:

After all I did get Cubase 7.5 to work, but crusher-X 6 wasn't recognized, I told the dev about it, let's see what he says.
Simon, I doubt he's going to go that far back to fix it as Cubase is now up to 9.

Ultimately, I am going to have to someday bite the bullet, upgrade to 9 and hope my old stuff works, which is why I have been putting this off.

testing new "Sweep" feature of Crusher-X 6 beta.
(*lonely bird recorded at 6am under my balcony.)

Playing here with some of the new features in Crusher-X 6:

-Sweep (complex grain pitch modulation)
-Diffuse grain processing (sort of reverb/diffuser)
-New modulators

I did not overload the experiment for artistical reasons.
I wanted to be a clean (yet not boring) technical demo :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltM-rACd13I

Return to “Instruments”