One Synth Challenge #96: Nabla by Full Bucket (Voting Over)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nabla

Here is my track:

http://www.soundcloud.com/jruegg/jruegg-x_x

I didn't had enough time to make a proper intro, something interesting in the middle, a different 2nd drop etc.
Hope you like it anyway :)

First time using ardour (well, I tryed it some months ago, but never spend long time with it), it was a nice experience, althought I had some issues with it (crashes, freezes, missing files, messed automation etc...). I learned some new things and techniques, this was the first time I made cool basses without relying on heavy automation, this time it was the Filter envelope of nabla itself who modulated what I needed.
Also I learned how to sidechain (in Renoise & Mulab it's different as in most DAWs I guess).

DAW : Ardour (many thanks to rghvdberg for helping me to setup linux :hug: )

76 x nabla

Native Linux FXs
================

5 x Calf multiband limiter
3 x Calf multiband compressor
1 x Calf mono compressor
3 x Calf Sidechain compression
3 x Calf limiter
1 x Calf exciter
2 x GVST Ggain
14 x eq10q
6 x Tal Reverb 3
3 x Tal Reverb 2
3 x Tal dub 3
1 x LSP VST limiter
14 x CarlaPatchbay

Bridged Windows VSTs (airwave)
====================

4 x PIZmidi MidiPBCurve
7 x OTT 8)

Project files HERE :hyper:
Last edited by J.Ruegg on Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.

574X wrote:This is an "early" placeholder submission...

For convenience, a brief precision ReaEQ paramater modulation sidechain tutorial is included with this Reaper project file. Here is the Reaper download link: http://www.reaper.fm/download.php
574X - Oh How She Suffers (Forever Alone) - KVR OSC 96 [Nabla] Public Ver. B.rar
https://soundcloud.com/574x/574x-oh-how ... c-96-nabla

Sadness, despair? This song is about a girl...
Oh how she suffers.
Forever alone.
Wow, Stax, you're in the zone, hm!? :hyper:
Thanks for writing down your vision for the song. I think, it's very fitting and nicely cinematic. :clap:
And thanks for putting together a tutorial, too! I haven't checked it out, yet. I don't use Reaper, but I'll look into it later, too. :tu:

I hope it's of some help. I'm always happy to share the best stuff I've found. Since it was mentioned, I also did a bunch more research on HG Fortune and found that FortuneCookie2012 has a pitch envelope! I love how it says "Inspiration flows into your music." :love: I'll probably post a quick track I made with it in the process.

Yep, I'm in some kind of zone, would like to be in an exciting and fun one :lol: which is one reason I'm usually practicing dance music.

Wow, there is lots of good stuff in this thread :) I need to find time to listen to all of these @Taron for some reason I really dig your entry

petereke wrote:@Taron for some reason I really dig your entry
:) Possibly because as usual it has amazing sound design, composition, arrangement, mixing and flair! (just a possibility :D )

:oops: :hug: :hyper:
Thank you guys!
OSC sure has a great month. :party:

updated original post with details

Totally loved Nabla. Wouldn't mind another Full Bucket synth in the future!

J.Ruegg wrote:
DAW : Ardour (many thanks to rghvdberg for helping me to setup linux :hug: )
:tu: :hug: you're welcome

rghvdberg wrote: DAW - Ardour 5.6

Plugins used:

OTT by Xfer [Windows plugin]
Freeverb 3 reverb [Windows plugin]
:o My interest is peaked, Ardour looks amazing. I instantly have questions like: Where does it display cpu use for each plugin? Does it have a "session" mode? How can you apply sidechaining and lfos to any parameter? How can you assign macros to call up any track template or group of tracks or saved fx chains? How stable is it compared to other daws? What is the performance difference between other daws and between win & linux, and of course, how do you bridge win 32 vsts on Ardour's linux version?

It's likely Ardour can handle all that, plus it's a video editor, and I'm a huge fan of supporting open source software. I'd be happy to trade quick info about how you can do those things in Reaper (which works with WINE). :help:

574X wrote:
rghvdberg wrote: DAW - Ardour 5.6

Plugins used:

OTT by Xfer [Windows plugin]
Freeverb 3 reverb [Windows plugin]
:o My interest is peaked, Ardour looks amazing. I instantly have questions like: Where does it display cpu use for each plugin? Does it have a "session" mode? How can you apply sidechaining and lfos to any parameter? How can you assign macros to call up any track template or group of tracks or saved fx chains? How stable is it compared to other daws? What is the performance difference between other daws and between win & linux, and of course, how do you bridge win 32 vsts on Ardour's linux version?

It's likely Ardour can handle all that, plus it's a video editor, and I'm a huge fan of supporting open source software. I'd be happy to trade quick info about how you can do those things in Reaper (which works with WINE). :help:
wrote a page long reply .. it disappeared ??
anyway
  • cpu: only total cpu
  • parameter modulation: in the works, maybe Ardour 6.0
    https://vimeo.com/205757189
  • session mode : you can load session templates
  • macro's etc : only track templates (with plugins on the track)
  • Stability/Performance : good, had very few crashes the last few months. Can't compare to other DAWs, don't use them. I use Ardour on windows too but these are simple audio only projects.
    I typically have about 25/30 synths and numerous other plugins loaded with OSC, (didn't count a total this time), total cpu hit is about 40%.
  • Windows plugins are bridged with Airwave.
    Check the readme on : https://github.com/phantom-code/airwave
    For some plugins to work you'll need to tweak wine. This can be done with winecfg and winetricks (inlcuded in the wine package).
  • Ardour is NOT a video editor : http://manual.ardour.org/video-timeline/
Tips & Tricks on Reaper are always welcome of course, anyone can benefit from these !

Cheers,
Rob

I updated the info on my entry, also shared the project file if anyone want to have a look on it (good luck configuring linux though :hihi: )

Woops, I forgot to turn on Download and forgot to list AXP Flextron...all taken care of now! :oops:

Voted! Again, I've enjoyed the bulk of them all. I'm happily surprised how few dubstep tracks were there, but those two that came in were really sweet! :borg: :tu:

Loads of good stuff and y'all did a great job! I really hope you don't mind my occasionally coarse comments. I often feel a bit awkward of imposing my impressions, because I'm by no means an expert, but at the same time I'm hoping that sharing my thoughts with you might inspire in some way. I feel like we're all friends and you'll forgive me, if some of what I say may sting a little, but I swear it comes from a place of true caring. I've had my share of clashes because of it, but in my eyes we all can only gain from honest impressions and only suffer from blind lies or rage. To allow each other to being wrong is as important as being right, if you asked me. :shrug: ...but it's all from a place of love! :hug:

J.Ruegg wrote:shared the project file

Ooh your Ardour project file! This is going to be tons of fun and very educational if I can get it to work.
44mb, I've been spoiled by my 1/4mb Reaper project files :hihi:
rghvdberg wrote: wrote a page long reply .. it disappeared ??
Oh no! Yeah browser text fields can have a mind of their own so I've started to just copy from a document. Thanks for the info, it's much appreciated.
rghvdberg wrote: Tips & Tricks on Reaper are always welcome of course, anyone can benefit from these !
Here we gooo :hyper: :wheee:
In Reaper
  • Cpu % is in the bottom left corner of all fx windows for both the selected effect and also the total for the track. Ctrl-alt-P opens the performance window of a graph and sort-able data. This is one reason I trust Reaper for high CPU situations (like to tell me Roth-Air vsts are eating a 1/4 my cpu! :lol: )
  • Session view, Ableton-style in Reaper is called Playtime which is third party and costs €20.00 EUR https://www.helgoboss.org/projects/playtime/
  • Track templates can be saved in the menu that appears when right clicking on a track. Saving a track folder will save all the tracks within the folder as well, for example a drum rack.
  • Saving fx chains can be done with ctrl-S if the fx window is open. You can also select multiple fx, right click them, and select fx chains > save selected fx as chain. Loading fx chains can be done by right clicking on the fx button or anywhere fx racks are. Fx chains and track templates organized into folders neatly appear in the right click menu.
  • Loading track templates can be done with the SWS Action to Load Track Template X, if you save the track with a number before the name. (Free SWS installation required. This is a huge time saver because all I have to do is save the osc synth (with some midi plugins and pdc enabled by right clicking the record button) as the number 2, and then set the shortcut to ctrl-alt-2 for instant access. )
  • To sidechain or apply an lfo to any parameter, click on the parameter and either run the action “FX: Show parameter modulation/link for last touched FX parameter” (for which I added the shortcut Alt-Q) or click the Param button on the top right and select Parameter modulation. The checkboxes enable input sidechaining or lfo modulation. These setting are tons of fun to play with! Also, you can check out my project file on the previous page to see low cpu eq sidechaining.
  • Reaper is much safer to use than Ableton Live with bridged plugins in my experience, but I wish that Reaper could recover from a crash from the undo history like Live. Reaper's video editor feels too new and unstable for me still. I hope the devs give it more attention, and I'm very grateful for it.
:phew: :harp:

Return to “Instruments”