Everything you want to know about Studio One 3.2

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

LawrenceF wrote:
Uh, no, you've been arguing that devs alone make the decision.
Not really. I've been saying that none of us here know how much of any of that happens or not there because none of us work there.
No, you said:
Not making an argument here btw, but some of this stuff kinda gets silly at times, to suggest that marketing people who don't code are somehow telling professional developers what to code and when.
Which suggests a completely naive perspective on software development. You basically have demonstrated that you don't understand how tech companies work through multiple posts. As was pointed out, we don't have to work there to observe enough information and make reasonable assumptions. You claimed my assumption was flawed, but all the evidence so far suggests that it's pretty spot on.
Reaper, a great daw, isn't "driven by marketing", but has no more or less happy or unhappy users than anyone else afaict so I don't understand what point you were making.
That it isn't driven by marketing and so, if that annoys you, you might like how Reaper rolls out features, which, is my original statement that you took issue with. I bet money that you won't see features like a noise knob on the Reaper mix engine, ever.

BTW: You actually have no data whatsoever for you claim about happy or unhappy users. It seems you have two standards for evidence, that which you impose on others, and a lower standard which you reserve for yourself.

daw envy wrote:First you need to learn to read, second you need to stop making up things that people are saying and lastly you need to accept the fact you don't know how th entire chain works.
daw envy first wrote:It's an added feature, probably requested by real musicians that play real instruments that want the analog noise, crosstalk and drive of classic analog consoles.
then daw envy wrote:You don't even know the basics of recording analog. The background noise, ambience, the room and all the added gear's transformers and other components, not to mention the converters. I think you need to educate yourself on the basics first, before making your bold statements of truth.
I asked you where the converters go in such an analogue recording chain, you know, the one these live performers were apparently using without realising. You introduced the idea of them using a DAW in a supposedly analogue environment. Please keep up. Have a nice day.

I've also made no claims about "the entire chain" in this thread. The discussion we were having was about crosstalk and voltage sag within the console. If you have something constructive to add that isn't just the usual audiophile talking points like "use Burr Brown converters" please do.

Oh, and lay off the ad hominem.

I pity anyone coming to this thread to simply finds out what the 3.2 updates were...perhaps the OP can change the thread title!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Gamma-UT wrote: The discussion we were having was about crosstalk and voltage sag within the console.
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&t=459606

ghettosynth wrote:BTW: You actually have no data whatsoever for you claim about happy or unhappy users. It seems you have two standards for evidence, that which you impose on others, and a lower standard which you reserve for yourself.
:) I'm not the one making claims here that need to be proven. I'm the one saying "I don't know for sure." And my comment about happy / unhappy users said "afaict" didn't it?

You're the one claiming that "not driven by marketing" is an advantage of some kind and I've yet to see you present any data supporting that. Is Reaper (again, a really great product) the 'best daw' because it's not driven by marketing? I still have no clue what point you were trying to make there. :shrug: Reaper has a backlog of FR's, things users want, like every other workstation.

You think I'm arguing with you, I'm not. I'm only trying to understand what you're getting at exactly, why a user would find a daw "driven by marketing" a bad thing since (according to your theory) most of the rest of them except Reaper are driven by marketing.

Not arguing, just trying to understand the advantage or disadvantage you imply.

LawrenceF wrote:
Not arguing, just trying to understand the advantage or disadvantage you imply.
I stated it clearly, however, it should be brutally obvious from the discussion. I'm not going to repeat myself. It was an offhand comment that should have received very little attention. It was addressed at those annoyed with S1 marketing, if that's not you, then it doesn't really apply.

Like I said in my first post, my interest in this thread was marginal at best, I was only interested in perception of this new feature, particularly with respect to crosstalk and noise. What I've gathered so far is that it is a home run for S1 marketing. It's unlikely that you'll ever see this kind of feature implemented in this way in Reaper.

I think that this conversation is now very much off topic for this thread. Unless someone has something intelligent to say about the new console feature or summing, I'm kind of done with it now. I moved my discussion over to another thread that is not about S1 and I'll pick that up there.

What I've gathered so far is that it is a home run for S1 marketing.
Back on topic.

Opinions vary on that I suppose, dunno though. Some people like it and some others not so much and some others don't have much use for it, like most things.

But yeah, it's just another feature. Given the wide divergence of users or potential users in general and their widely varying needs or wants I wouldn't expect the reaction to be anything mostly universal either way, but to fill the spectrum from... "Nice! Love it!" ... to "Meh, I have no personal use or need for it." ... and everything in between, depending on the person being asked at any given time.

But yeah, I agree, generally speaking it seems the feature has been accepted or received well enough by most users which is a win I suppose.

I personally find way more value in the new editing enhancements, mmv,... but I will be using that plugin.

ghettosynth wrote:As was pointed out, we don't have to work there to observe enough information and make reasonable assumptions. You claimed my assumption was flawed, but all the evidence so far suggests that it's pretty spot on.
Marketing departments drive decisions... pretty much everywhere and in every industry... duh

With Studio One, I doubt Presonus cares much about the DAW itself, but rather how effective the DAW is at pushing hardware sales.

My guess - with clear emphasis on "guess" because I certainly don't know and don't pretend to know - is that Presonus very likely does dictate some things like with hardware integration, having quite a large investment in designing and manufacturing hardware, an expensive proposition any way you look at it, and anything that makes the hardware more attractive or sell more is good for the bottom line... so I would think that would not ever be on the table for any real debate beyond what's reasonably possible technically or not.

It's also a safe bet that the team there probably does some other stuff, like maybe the iPad apps and other things related to the all the product lines in general.

Otoh, how much influence the larger company might have or even wants to have on all the other stuff, like if S1 x.0 will focus on more on midi editing or audio editing or non-linear production or linear recording or whatever else from the long list of things that various different people want feature wise, for releases, no idea.

That's the open question we were trying to flesh out, an unknown.

Is senior management in Baton Rouge telling Hamburg... "The next release will be all about better midi editing and production features, get it done."... or is that other stuff mostly kinda left up to the team in Hamburg? No idea.

The product manager in the video I posted said exactly where the Scratchpad idea came from.
Last edited by LawrenceF on Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LawrenceF wrote:
Is management in Baton Rouge telling Hamburg... "The next release will be all about better midi editing and production features, get it done."... or is that other stuff mostly kinda left up to the team in Hamburg? No idea.
Or... we want you to focus first on hardware integration and supporting features, only then other stuff you deem useful and you have this many budgeted hours, don't exceed it

pdxindy wrote:Or... we want you to focus first on hardware integration and supporting features, only then other stuff you deem useful and you have this many budgeted hours, don't exceed it
Yeah, it's near impossible to know with so many potential variables involved. Some of those potential variables are...

- If some of the people are not just employees but maybe also have ownership stakes in the child company.
- If the contractual agreement when the company was initially purchased or acquired directly addressed some of that, how much independence they might have or not to do those kinds of things or if the path of the product would be totally dictated by Presonus HQ.

It's really hard to know. It would be interesting to find out though.

I'd say the same about Steiny tbh. I have no clue if management at Yahama is telling them what to create or not, beyond the things that directly involve working with Yamaha hardware products. No clue... but Steinberg is a much larger company than PSL.

LawrenceF wrote:
pdxindy wrote:Or... we want you to focus first on hardware integration and supporting features, only then other stuff you deem useful and you have this many budgeted hours, don't exceed it
Yeah, it's near impossible to know with so many potential variables involved. Some of those potential variables are...
I disagree... I think it is obvious that broader management is exerting a fair bit of influence based on the features added.

It is no coincidence that Presonus and Harrison, both hardware manufacturers, are more focused on re-creating the console experience.

Just because one cannot say something with 100% certainty, does not make an assessment nothing but a random guess. That is what it sounds you are trying to say in arguing with ghettosynth.

LawrenceF wrote: That's the open question we were trying to flesh out, an unknown.
No man, we're not. Nobody other than you cares and you only care because you're trying to save face. Your own video that you thought supported your position gives you all that you need to know. The first question that they answer, and this is a business question, is which users are they going to target. Which market segment, defined in terms that make sense for their business, are going to be included. I don't care whether Mathias does this analysis or someone at Presonus, although I suspect the latter, it is that business analysis that drives the feature selection. Mathaias told you this. After they determine who to target, they use that market to package which features that they believe will meet that business goal.

This is how marketing impacts development at Presonus Software. Note that he never even mentioned user feature requests, only the interviewer did, because despite common belief, they're secondary. You implement them when they are in congruence with your own business goals. They're often in conflict. Case in point, VSTs in Reason, probably the most common user request ever in audio software history, never going to happen.
Is senior management in Baton Rouge telling Hamburg... "The next release will be all about better midi editing and production features, get it done."... or is that other stuff mostly kinda left up to the team in Hamburg? No idea.
That is an exceedingly naive interpretation of the process. I doubt that anyone says anything of the sort. In the wikipedia quote that I shared it explained how product management works. I also gave you good examples to understand this, in particular, freemium games where gameplay is often sacrificed for business goals. Make no mistake about it, S1 is managed by business goals, the CTO of Presonus software told you that.

Is it possile to rename patterns? On the playlist, it just names what vsti was used.

Can I import or drag an drop multiple midi file onto one generator?
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

You'd probably get a better response if you made a new post rather than piggy-backing on a dead thread.

Not sure what you mean by "playlist". Maybe you mean the arrangement window, that big space to the right of the track headers. If so, right-click the name at the top of the event, then double-click the name at the top of the context menu. Type a new name and press Enter.

Here's a tip: If you edit the name on the track header (usually the name of the VSTi on an instrument track, or the first audio event on an audio track, and hold down Shift while pressing Enter, it will rename all of the events on that track.

As for your MIDI files, I'm not sure what you mean by "generator". If you mean VSTi (MIDI instrument) then I don't know what would happen; you'd have to try it. Usually you'd drag a MIDI file onto the arrangement window, either on an existing track, or to create a new track.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”