Old Albino user here : replacement suggestions

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've only briefly demoed Albino in the past so I'm no expert in supposed replacements, but from the above screenshot the synth structure looks a lot like Spire, does it?

Dune2 and Hybrid are good suggestions too, both synths have more smooth and mellow character than Spire and both should be good for "ambient sounds, pads and drones, that kind of atmospheric sounds".
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Linplug's Spectral could be an improved version of Albino if the arp were to be separately available to all four sections - that would be such a wonderful update. Still, I really think Spectral is a top-notch synth without that capability. It does a lot more (modulation-wise and effect-wise) than Albino. But you could say the same thing about Blue - but Blue is about as tough on the eyes as Albino. Spectral is quite pleasing.

Thanks for you time and for all your synth replacement suggestions guys. Much appreciated!

As I said, the purpose is mostly for aiming at rich & smooth pad & atmospheric sounds. Tested / played Dune 2 the whole night yesterday and maaaan I have to say I’m really impressed with it! It definitely has that digital clean smoothness I’m looking for. The wavetable synthesis (although not as deep as some other WT synths) just sounds beautiful and near limitless, especially with the combination of the ring modulation. That was one sick suggestions guys, you didn’t miss the point with that one. I’ll continue to demo it few hours but I think I am sold already :love:

Spectral… Seen that one popping in threads here and there but never took the time to try it n. Will do! Who knows, I might be as surprised as Dune 2.
Last edited by Neon Breath on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don't forget to check out the Brandon Clark (Ridan) soundsets for Dune2

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 7&t=479684

recursive one wrote:I've only briefly demoed Albino in the past so I'm no expert in supposed replacements, but from the above screenshot the synth structure looks a lot like Spire, does it?

Dune2 and Hybrid are good suggestions too, both synths have more smooth and mellow character than Spire and both should be good for "ambient sounds, pads and drones, that kind of atmospheric sounds".
Looks like Spire, but it doesn't sound like it. Albino is really soft and mellow and sits back in a mix almost effortlessly. Spire seems more aggressive to me.

HunterKiller wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Funny, I have read that synth's name so often on KVR, yet never heard it (knowingly, that is) :)
Seems it was a joint project by Rob Papen and Linplug. So, maybe their later products might sound similar, just a wild guess :)
In the mid 2000's it was all the rage on KVR. It's quite a good synth actually, with trillions of presets available for it.

This is what it sounds like: https://www.sendspace.com/file/gwvlgd
Thanks.
Back then I did not even know there were synth plugins :roll:

Hmmm since I enjoyed mostly the wavetable synthesis part of Dune 2 way more than FM & VA, I guess another synth I should try is Serum too since it's wavetable oriented synth? Can it really produce pads and drones as silky and smooth as Dune? I'll give it a shot when I have some time but I would appreciate your feedback... :)

Neon Breath wrote:Hmmm since I enjoyed mostly the wavetable synthesis part of Dune 2 way more than FM & VA, I guess another synth I should try is Serum too since it's wavetable oriented synth? Can it really produce pads and drones as silky and smooth as Dune? I'll give it a shot when I have some time but I would appreciate your feedback... :)
I own both and I think silky and smooth is not the strongest point of Serum compared to Dune. It's easier to make agressive, cutting tones with it.

But in right hands it can sound very gentle too, listen to the demos from this thread, I think it's as smooth and warm as Serum can be in principle

viewtopic.php?t=424785

recursive one wrote:
Neon Breath wrote:Hmmm since I enjoyed mostly the wavetable synthesis part of Dune 2 way more than FM & VA, I guess another synth I should try is Serum too since it's wavetable oriented synth? Can it really produce pads and drones as silky and smooth as Dune? I'll give it a shot when I have some time but I would appreciate your feedback... :)
I own both and I think silky and smooth is not the strongest point of Serum compared to Dune. It's easier to make agressive, cutting tones with it.

But in right hands it can sound very gentle too, listen to the demos from this thread, I think it's as smooth and warm as Serum can be in principle

viewtopic.php?t=424785
Nice! :tu: Thanks

Happy Dune 2 owner here now. My quest for replacing my old Albino has ended. I went & fully dive for Dune 2. After demoing few nights in a row and worked my own synthesis from an init patch, I really enjoyed the smooth silky sound of its wavetable synthesis in particular and the general workflow as well, which really clicked for me.

Tried Serum too, very very powerful and bold sound. WT synthesis is quite deep and limitless. Generally sounds a bit too bold & edgy for my needs though. I found it easier to make Dune 2 sounds like a warm velvet blanket… In most aspects Dune 2 clicked more for me and I can easily see it as a replacement for Albino.

You guys can keep the thread alive with more suggestions though! Might interest other people in the same situation as me.

Thanks again all for the great input.

I bought Dune2 some time ago just to use this skin -> http://www.satyatunes.com/web/glacier-white.php :love:

Return to “Instruments”