Komplete update. Will I get a virus through Native Acess without antivirus software?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If you don't go to the shady side of the internet and you avoid downloading anything that is not by a well known company you are pretty safe. Also avoiding opening suspicious emails and attachments.

AV software sucks quite a bit as it sucks up resources, I use the one included with windows which is very light and I have not got a virus in years.
dedication to flying

do_androids_dream wrote:No 3rd party antivirus software here and no viruses ;)
Same here :tu:

Doubtful that you would get a virus using it, but it does give me a headache every time I attempt using it. (So I directly download from my account whenever it's possible. And Service Center works fine for authorizing.)

Native Access (and that joke of an installation drive) has 'ruined' Komplete for me.

The only virus i wouldnt mind to get is Access Virus :D

fgimian wrote:
Kinh wrote:I just want to update Form but my Norton antivirus has expired so my PC isn't protected.
If I connect it and dont launch web browsers or anything, just update using NI software do you think I'll get a virus? Just dont wanna spend $40 for AV just to download a few minutes of an update.
Assuming you're on the latest Windows update of a supported Windows OS, then I wouldn't worry at all. I was on Windows for years without any dedicated AV and never had one problem. Most such viruses come from dodgy websites and pirated software anyway, so steer clear of those and you should be good.

On the other hand, there are many free AV solutions (Avast, AVG .etc) which might be worth considering.

Good luck
Fots
This. Don't worry. Or opt for one of the free solutions. I use Avast Free with the game mode, and i'm really happy with it.

C-note wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote:No 3rd party antivirus software here and no viruses ;)
Same here :tu:
Me too. :)

You will get a virus. That virus is Native Access.

Well at least in my case, it exhibited all the behaviour of malware. My memory is somewhat hazy, but this is what I remember. I installed Native Access and noticed a number of products had updates. So I merrily clicked on the update options and off we went.

First NA trashed my existing installation of Komplete Ultimate, removing all the VSTs (i.e. DLLs) from my VST folder. Any attempts to rectify the installations from within Native Access failed miserably, as you can only set your VST path up once. If like me you just clicked through the process assuming it would be smart enough to use the old install paths (why on earth not?), you are totally screwed as you can't change the paths or add an additional path later.

I ended up having to first manually uninstall all the VSTs in Komplete Ultimate in Window's Control Panel. Then I was able to reinstall most of the VSTs from within Native Access (after setting the path correctly). Some of them (Absynth I think) took multiple attempts to install successfully for unknown reasons. Guitar Rig steadfastedly refused to install properly after multiple attempts; it was constantly in demo mode. Because of the genius design behind Native Access, each uninstall and reinstall seems to necessitate the installer to be downloaded anew. As you can imagine, this entire process took hours. In the end, the only way I could get Guitar Rig to install was by using the old Service Center to download the installer.

I am not the only one who has had a terrible experience with Native Access. It might work fine for others, but overall it is still inferior to the old Service Center.

I was also extremely unimpressed by NI's support, or lack thereof, as they have still failed to respond after 3 months or so (during which time I have managed to fix the mess they made of my working system).

Just get Bitdefender Free. I use it on one of my computers, it has automatic updates and it has an easy button to switch real-time protection on/off. I keep it switched off for 0% performance impact, unless I am going online with it. Easy! It's a light, set and forget solution that works! :D
https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html

Bitdefender Internet Security scored 100% on the most recent Real-World Detection Tests in Feb 2017. The free version shares the same detection engine with its big brother. :tu:
https://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php
Windows 10 and too many plugins

sjm wrote: First NA trashed my existing installation of Komplete Ultimate, removing all the VSTs (i.e. DLLs) from my VST folder.
Well yeah- that's the way installers work. They delete the old stuff before installing the new.
Any attempts to rectify the installations from within Native Access failed miserably, as you can only set your VST path up once. If like me you just clicked through the process assuming it would be smart enough to use the old install paths (why on earth not?), you are totally screwed as you can't change the paths or add an additional path later.
The key word here is assume. Let me correct the last sentence for you:

If like me, you just clicked through the process realizing that as a new application, it would need to be told what the install paths were but ignoring that minor fact, the .dlls and libraries installed to the default locations. As I'm unwilling to take personal responsibility for making such a dumbass move, I proceeded to blame the tool instead of the one using it.

Fixed. You're welcome :)

ew
A spectral heretic...

fgimian wrote: On the other hand, there are many free AV solutions...AVG
While we're on (off?) the topic, my recommendation would be to steer way clear of AVG (free version). I used it for years until it suddenly turned into nagware a year or two ago - possibly the most annoying POS I've ever installed on a computer. I'd rather have a virus than put up with that annoyance again.

And, I'm certainly not alone: https://support.avg.com/answers?id=906b0000000DA01AAG
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

zzz00m wrote:Bitdefender Internet Security scored 100% on the most recent Real-World Detection Tests in Feb 2017. The free version shares the same detection engine with its big brother. :tu:
https://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php
Wow. 100%. Not too shabby.

I've used Avira free on my daw for several years now and it's transparent as well. I only use it cuz I do occasionally download the odd freebie VST or... er... custom Android ROM every now and again. :hihi: Only 99.2% coverage on that chart, but if you don't really surf on your daw it should be fine.
You need to limit that rez, bro.

Kumplete IS a virus. it eats your HDD. uninstall immediately!
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Small tip, to increase security ALWAYS run browsers and 'non-productive' software (mediaplayers, viewers, etc.) from within a Sandboxed environment

If you'r on win7 get security essentials.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... s-download
:borg:

Return to “Instruments”