It's That Time Again...I Need A Synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Don't have the strength to read all this thread with its lengthy posts.

But KBSoundSmith had it right early on imo.

His suggestion was to analyse where the best sales come from then approach that synth from a fresh perspective.

This is how businesses do it. Play from proven strength. But with a fresh twist.

I'd like to add to that:

I'd make less presets for a pack - or at least not 200. Focus on quality, the way Manuel Schleis does with Avenger.

Kevin Schroder - another byword for quality - has only released 64 patches in his latest soundpack for Dune 2.

I'd also pick a synth that was up and coming, and not an old lag with a crap GUI that happened to have good sales because it'd been around for so long.

And I'd put lots of effort into sequences, arps, controller options, as instant music is what people like to buy. This shouldn't be difficult for a self-confessed tunesmith.

And I'd add plenty of bleeps and ooh-aah sound effects, as these short things are fun to programme as they're v quick and experimental, and people desperately need them to make otherwise repetitive loops become interesting & varied. They only take 5 minutes apiece to do, and they're worth a giggle every time. I love making them. Such fun.

imho the above will make you money.

btw for anyone reading, I'm not the anonymously mentioned mod in earlier parts of this thread. I don't see a problem in a dev or designer engaging a KVR audience. If people weren't interested they'd boycott the thread.

Since Day One, KVR has been like a second home for devs & designers who want to talk to their customers. This is part of what makes KVR special & different :)
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

Every time I see this thread title,
Pat Benatar singing the John Mellencamp song starts playing in my head.
:hihi:

And don't confuse hatred with simply not being overly impressed Wagtunes.
We get what we pay for and KVR is free.

kevvvvv wrote:btw for anyone reading, I'm not the anonymously mentioned mod in earlier parts of this thread. I don't see a problem in a dev or designer engaging a KVR audience. If people weren't interested they'd boycott the thread.
In a way I think you are right.

The OP is not really at fault, it is the users who actually bother to cater to every little pathetic point here.

If a monitor is 24 or 24.5 inches, if a monitor is placed a meter in front of user, or 1.2 meter :dog:

When will the discussion turn to lenght of USB cables, 1 m better than 1,5 m :hihi:

DJ Warmonger wrote:
If I get a larger monitor and keep the same resolution, what happens to the size of the plugins? Do they become bigger or smaller or stay the same? If bigger, how much bigger? Enough so that something like Hybrid 3 becomes easy to work with?

See, that's the problem with all of this. Nobody really knows for sure
Everybody knows for sure. Maths is easy :D

Larger monitor with same resolutions means larger pixels and everything larger, in fact. No matter if plugins scale or not, you can always check the actual dot size of a monitor.
Right now, I am on 1280 x 960
Well I could quickly go blind if I worked in such resolution. Smaller pixels are easier for an eye.
I'm confused. Doesn't working in something like 1920 or whatever it is, make things smaller?

If I change my resolution to say 800 x 600, less fits on the screen but everything becomes larger. Conversely, if I go to like 1600, everything becomes smaller. So the bigger the number, like 1900, the smaller everything becomes in order to fit more on screen. The smaller the number, like 800, the larger everything becomes but less fits on screen. At least that has been my experience with PCs and monitors. I can't speak for everybody else.

Right now, what I work in, 1280 x 960, is just perfect for my bad eyes. So I don't see how working in that resolution would hurt your eyes.

Totally confused.

kevvvvv wrote:Don't have the strength to read all this thread with its lengthy posts.

But KBSoundSmith had it right early on imo.

His suggestion was to analyse where the best sales come from then approach that synth from a fresh perspective.

This is how businesses do it. Play from proven strength. But with a fresh twist.

I'd like to add to that:

I'd make less presets for a pack - or at least not 200. Focus on quality, the way Manuel Schleis does with Avenger.

Kevin Schroder - another byword for quality - has only released 64 patches in his latest soundpack for Dune 2.

I'd also pick a synth that was up and coming, and not an old lag with a crap GUI that happened to have good sales because it'd been around for so long.

And I'd put lots of effort into sequences, arps, controller options, as instant music is what people like to buy. This shouldn't be difficult for a self-confessed tunesmith.

And I'd add plenty of bleeps and ooh-aah sound effects, as these short things are fun to programme as they're v quick and experimental, and people desperately need them to make otherwise repetitive loops become interesting & varied. They only take 5 minutes apiece to do, and they're worth a giggle every time. I love making them. Such fun.

imho the above will make you money.

btw for anyone reading, I'm not the anonymously mentioned mod in earlier parts of this thread. I don't see a problem in a dev or designer engaging a KVR audience. If people weren't interested they'd boycott the thread.

Since Day One, KVR has been like a second home for devs & designers who want to talk to their customers. This is part of what makes KVR special & different :)
Thank you Kev. These are excellent suggestions. I actually DO seek out new synths. That's the problem. Almost everything that's new I have. I mean I've done 41 libraries. That's not exactly a drop in the bucket. When I owned very little, it was easy to just keep buying things. Now, it's not so easy. There's not as much left to buy and the small GUIs of the old stuff makes it hard for me to make use of them.

You say to analyze where the best sales come from. How exactly do you do that? Do you simply go to like Plugin Boutique everyday and see what's on sale? I admit, when it comes to the "business" end of this business, I have a lot to learn. In fact, I'd say I'm pretty much clueless about a lot of it, which is why I come here for help in the first place. I figure maybe there's something I've overlooked. I'll be the first to admit that outside of actually designing patches the rest of this does not come easy to me. Thank God I don't have to do this for my livelihood.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions and, I think, confirming that I haven't done anything wrong here.

Wag, the same resolution on larger screen would make things bigger! The same image will be stretched to fill out the extra length. A monitor twice the size will make things twice as big at the same resolution. I bet you would easily be able to increase the resolution to fit more stuff on your screen and be able to make thing quite a bit larger. Buy a 40 inch hd tv for 300 bucks and call it day :tu:
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Touch The Universe wrote:Wag, the same resolution on larger screen would make things bigger! The same image will be stretched to fill out the extra length. A monitor twice the size will make things twice as big at the same resolution. I bet you would easily be able to increase the resolution to fit more stuff on your screen and be able to make thing quite a bit larger. Buy a 40 inch hd tv for 300 bucks and call it day :tu:
Except I don't have room for a 40 inch monitor. 24 inches is all I can squeeze into this space. And I'll be happy to get it as long as I am assured that it will make the smaller plugins easy to read. If so, I will then run right out and get Hybrid 3 as well as a number of other VSTs I have been avoiding up until now.

Wags above question is often one I've asked myself. Traditionally one would use something like google adwords. They changed it so the free way to access it remains hidden to me as of yet. I remember last I used it, it wasn't too helpful. If you want to search how many times soundsets were searched, it would give you an answer like 1k -20k... Very broad info.. If any has any other tips, I'd love to hear it.

It might be possible to email soundset hub sites, which sell many soundsets from many devs, and inquire with them. They have an interest in sharing this marketing info, I think.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

wagtunes wrote:
Touch The Universe wrote:Wag, the same resolution on larger screen would make things bigger! The same image will be stretched to fill out the extra length. A monitor twice the size will make things twice as big at the same resolution. I bet you would easily be able to increase the resolution to fit more stuff on your screen and be able to make thing quite a bit larger. Buy a 40 inch hd tv for 300 bucks and call it day :tu:
Except I don't have room for a 40 inch monitor. 24 inches is all I can squeeze into this space. And I'll be happy to get it as long as I am assured that it will make the smaller plugins easy to read. If so, I will then run right out and get Hybrid 3 as well as a number of other VSTs I have been avoiding up until now.
Buy a projector! You can have a 20 ft screen :lol: Seriously, it's an option and I've had two of them. It will take less space than the monitor you have now.

TTU Youtube

Touch The Universe wrote:Wags above question is often one I've asked myself. Traditionally one would use something like google adwords. They changed it so the free way to access it remains hidden to me as of yet. I remember last I used it, it wasn't too helpful. If you want to search how many times soundsets were searched, it would give you an answer like 1k -20k... Very broad info.. If any has any other tips, I'd love to hear it.

It might be possible to email soundset hub sites, which sell many soundsets from many devs, and inquire with them. They have an interest in sharing this marketing info, I think.
Like email them and ask them what their best selling libraries are?

As for Adwords, used to use the tool for my old business. Never really thought of it for this one. Been a long time since I used it.

That's something I've been meaning to do. Yes, ask what are there best selling soundsets for which synth AND which genre. I see no reason why they wouldn't share this information, especially if you want to sell through them?...

TTU Youtube

Back to the topic!

Maybe SLOO is what you are looking for, has it been mentioned here?

https://shop.timexile.com/products/sloo

New and perhaps upcoming:)

Niklashe wrote:Back to the topic!

Maybe SLOO is what you are looking for, has it been mentioned here?

https://shop.timexile.com/products/sloo

New and perhaps upcoming:)
It's Reaktor based. I don't do libraries for Reaktor based synths as I hate the preset system as do a lot of people.

There aren't too many Aalto sets and I haven't seen any kaivo.

wag
You say to analyze where the best sales come from. How exactly do you do that?
I meant analyze where your own best sales come from. It's the only baseline you've got. Everything else is speculation & risk, though that doesn't stop you using your nouse when you look around, eg:

Which synths get the most best talked about threads at KVR?

Which synths have music radar 10 ratings, or awards, or are a top 5 synth of the year?

Which synths don't have that much soundware to choose from?

Which dance synths don't have any old school sounds like you do?

Open a KVR Survey and ask

That's 5 easy-to-do ideas, plus your own sales volume analysis.

Can't fail :lol:

otoh maybe you just like any excuse for buying more synths :D But this is letting predilection get in the way of business :-?
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

Return to “Instruments”