Korg Gadget comes to Mac...also as AU, VST, AAX, NKS support!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Gadget

The visual design of these gadgets are very well done, but I get a bit of a vibe where it's a bit hard to judge the sounds because the visuals are so juicy, It definitely gives off more of a "for consumers" vibe rather than "for pros". I know that the synths I already have covers everything this package offers so I'll probably hold off, but I do like the idea of getting all of them in a single bundle to use in logic. I just doubt that I'll use 75% of them, might only end up using 2-3 of them that offers some unique creative way of working/creating sounds. I might end up demoing it if the impressions over here are raving enough.

Saw the same announcement on Music Radar.... Oh well. I'm happy that they're focused on releasing a solid product! It also fits better into my budget, just in case I do end up picking this up. Got some traveling to do before then!

mrj1nx wrote:The visual design of these gadgets are very well done, but I get a bit of a vibe where it's a bit hard to judge the sounds because the visuals are so juicy, It definitely gives off more of a "for consumers" vibe rather than "for pros". I know that the synths I already have covers everything this package offers so I'll probably hold off, but I do like the idea of getting all of them in a single bundle to use in logic. I just doubt that I'll use 75% of them, might only end up using 2-3 of them that offers some unique creative way of working/creating sounds. I might end up demoing it if the impressions over here are raving enough.

Yeah they aren't the deepest synths in the world, especially when it comes to modulation. The so-called modular one in particular is rather laughable (but I use it for bass). They're probably on par with TAL-U-No-LX though, which has a good reputation. And I don't know why there's 3 sample-based drum machines... seems redundant.

There are a couple of gems that I like. Changmai is a good phase modulation synth for bell sounds, and Helsinki's great for pads -- I'm looking forward to running this one through some beefier effects for sure.

None of this applies to the Odessey emulation by the way, which is the real deal from the app. Maybe the Wavestation too but I can't be bothered to figure out how that synth works.

They are a great collection on IOS (albeit expensive) but even on IOS they are a little dated, they are very very poor compared to similar priced VST, this will either struggle to sell or there are some extremely stupid consumers out there.
Duh

It's out now

Not going to buy it right now as it's the end of the month but I'll probably hop on in April.

For those with the iOS app, they did a 3.0 update with the three new Gadgets (two audio recording ones and a sample-based drum machine), all included for free.

I hoped for an additional discount for people with the iOS app, sadly no!
I mainly want Lexington (Arp Odyssei) and Milpitas (iWavestation) as AU/VST.
But for €199 or even €299 after sale it is a bit expensive.
For €99 i would bite.
But then i like the ArpOdyssei much more than Oddity 2 which is not cheap too.
Sadly Lexington has not all of the ArpOdyssei features (like the Arp you can use for modulation f.e.).

Korg Shop is down, apparently due to heavy Gadget traffic… ;-)

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Spitfire31 wrote:Korg Shop is down, apparently due to heavy Gadget traffic… ;-)

/Joachim
Then they did everything right :D

Will those gadgets be usable directly as vsti, too?

Hanz Meyzer wrote:Will those gadgets be usable directly as vsti, too?
Yes, they can be used as AU/VST inside your DAW of choice...at least Korg says that.
I really would like to demo it with Logic and how it goes with automation and with some of my extern FX etc.
But no demo, no buy yet. I think also there is no license transfer, refund possible if you don´t like it. But i have time until the end of April to think about it and hope some people doing a few demo videos to show some stuff.

The shop is back up: https://korg.shop/software/korg-gadget-for-mac.html

I have a fairly large shopping list for end of March/April so I don't know that I'm jumping in on this, despite the 30% off intro price.

I do have the iOS version for the iPad Pro, but I still use it more for messing around when traveling as opposed to serious projects... I haven't even tried the export to Live feature yet, but I suppose I should try that out too.

Plus I'm still hoping to hear how well it works, or doesn't work as there's no demo available!

If I didn't have so many other options, I'd be all over this because its a great deal especially with the Live-like workflow (Session view).

I'd only really be getting this for the Arp and updated Wavestation and tbh I really think for the latter they should do the right thing and update the KLC version. They have no excuses for not doing this really.

aMUSEd wrote:I'd only really be getting this for the Arp and updated Wavestation and tbh I really think for the latter they should do the right thing and update the KLC version. They have no excuses for not doing this really.
But beware that the Gadget´s are not like the "full" updated iOS versions. They have limited editing options.

I was suffering from terrible GAS last night...they looked so shiny...I couldn't resist :D

This morning I felt a little guilty succumbing so easily, but first impressions are good—I think a big chunk of the cost can be offset by the very impressive Odyssey gadget (Lexington)—seems as good as any other VA I've used. While the gadgets are limited, they are varied enough, and hit so many sweet spots, that as a collection I think will make a very useful set of tools.

Return to “Instruments”