the big - merry go round in the sea (Slow indie rock )

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://soundcloud.com/user-867576262/m ... in-the-sea

i used kontakt - abbey road drums, damage,strings

air music technology xpand and minigrand

bass trillian

real guitar

all comments welcome

thanks
phil

I liked it. I like the sound of the vocals a lot. I really couldn't hear any guitar though. Also there's about 40 seconds of ocean fade out after the merry go round music fades out. I just question if everyone is going to stick around that long. You don't wait people running off...you want them to listen to your next track.

I meant to say:
You don't want people running off...you want them to listen to your next track.

(I'm not sure if there is a way to edit posts...I couldn't find it if there is.)

hey thanks for the comments MBCDs

the guitar is plucked and with tremolo effect. (think maybe "the smiths - how soon is now")

yeah the ocean fade out is too long (unless put at the end of an album) and should use a good field recording (i live 500 m from the beach- i used something from xpand 2)

i'm happy you made it that far through the song without running off. (you can run but you can't hide?)

cheers
phil

Interesting, sort of 80s goth meets early New Order. In my view you're perhaps missing a chorus (or a bit of high/low in your arrangement -perhaps strip back some of the instrumentation to manufacture a verse?) and the instruments could possibly do with a bit of eq-ing individually to create some space and carve a spot for the vocals (even I succumbed eventually :hihi: ) and also a bit more use of the stereo field would make it sonically more interesting.

thanks for the comments donkey tugger

yeah there's no chorus, it was meant to slowly build and build and then just drop off. (Didn't quite work). Might make a different version.

yeah i need to do some more eq- ing to give each new sound and vocals some room and to stand out more. (i didn't do any except some low cuts). Maybe that will help the build up as well.

What do you suggest for the making more use of the stereo field? (I can only hear in one ear and nothing much above 8000hz. So as i can't hear stereo i just approximate and give each sound its own pan position.)

cheers
phil

Stanevie wrote:thanks for the comments donkey tugger

What do you suggest for the making more use of the stereo field? (I can only hear in one ear and nothing much above 8000hz. So as i can't hear stereo i just approximate and give each sound its own pan position.)

cheers
phil
Sorry to hear about that, mixing is hard enough as it is!

I was thinking that the guitar is quite central at present, and as you're using a tremelo effect why not go for one that'll do l/r panning at the same time for a bit of movement (or of course the oldalternative of doing another take and panning them hard left and right)? Also, the string sound is quite upfront and central so you could either use a stereo widening plug-in, or perhaps use a sound that's a bit more spacious, or even a reverb with a wide stereo field.

i'll try some of these suggestions

thanks

phil

Hi Phil,
Your track pulled me in and I enjoyed it. The vocals are cool and I like the guitar. Donkey Tugger has some great suggestions for your mix.
Like the ocean myself...
Well done.
:)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Return to “Music Cafe”