High pitched noise

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello everyone,

I need some help with my sound setup... I recently bought the Hercules 2.0 60 DJ set speakers. I've had no problem with the sound whatsoever, but ever since I plugged them in I've been hearing a high pitched noise protruding from the speakers. Even when they're not connected to anything.

Just to paint a picture, here's my 'setup'. I've got a HP Spectre laptop/tablet connected to a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 sound card, which is connected to the above mentioned speakers with a tulip thingy. The Hercules set itself is connected to a power bar, on of those things that gives you more outlets. I personally think it has something to do with the power supply, as it keeps making the sound even when it's not connected to the computer.

Problem is, I hardly know anything about this stuff, it took me 3 cables to find the right cable to connect my monitors to the sound card.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

get one of those things you plug into the outlet that light up if it's grounded. inexpensive.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

MrRevex wrote:it keeps making the sound even when it's not connected to the computer.
So you have disconnected it from the audio interface and it still makes noise? Even when the volume, bass & treble knobs are at the 12 o'clock position? Does the volume knob influence the noise?

Anyway, I think this is not normal. I read over 50 customer reviews and only one complained about noise, but only when messing about with the bass & treble controls.

Since you still have warranty, I'd send them back. If the next ones have the same issue, then it's a design fault and you either learn to live with it, or save up for a better set.
xoxos wrote:get one of those things you plug into the outlet that light up if it's grounded. inexpensive.
I'm looking at the back of a European model, and the power chord is not grounded. So that should make no difference.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote:So you have disconnected it from the audio interface and it still makes noise? Even when the volume, bass & treble knobs are at the 12 o'clock position? Does the volume knob influence the noise?
Yes, it only does it when the power is on. Turning the knobs doesn't change anything. Switching it off with the switch on the back of the main monitor also works, but y'know...can't use it then.
BertKoor wrote:Since you still have warranty, I'd send them back. If the next ones have the same issue, then it's a design fault and you either learn to live with it, or save up for a better set.
Thanks for the suggestion, I sent an email to the customer service of the website where I got them. Hoping for a solution from that.
xoxos wrote:get one of those things you plug into the outlet that light up if it's grounded. inexpensive.
As English isn't my main language I don't really know what "grounded" means, could you elaborate on that? I did read a few forum threads on similar problems who all suggested the grounded thing.

Thanks for the help :D

MrRevex wrote:As English isn't my main language I don't really know what "grounded" means, could you elaborate on that? I did read a few forum threads on similar problems who all suggested the grounded thing.
See eg wikipedia and switch to your language at the left bar.

This is a power plug as used in Europe for stuff that does not need ground:
Note it has only two "prongs" (electrical connectors). Simple apparatus like light bulbs need only two conductors for their electricity. I saw on an image on a European web shop that your monitors are equipped with a power plug just like this one.

Now this is a power plug as used in the UK for stuff that does need ground:
Note the third connector, which is for the electrical ground. This third connector is mandatory for machines installed in wet environment. In case the chassis gets a short-cirquit with mains power, then the electricity gets diverged to ground instead of into you. Also modern fuse systems will notice leakage and shut off power.

Grounding is very good for your safety, but it is a nightmare for audio because throug this ground there is an extra electrical path between all your equipment. It causes "ground loops". Usually that sounds like a low hum (50 or 60 Hz) but high pitch is also possible.

It is impossible to get a ground loop if either:
1) the speakers are not connected to anything else
2) the power cable has no ground connector

Thank you very much, that was a great explanation, easy to follow in English :P

So that kind of shuts out the possibility that it's because of the grounding issue?

BertKoor wrote:So you have disconnected it from the audio interface and it still makes noise? Even when the volume, bass & treble knobs are at the 12 o'clock position? Does the volume knob influence the noise?
So, I got home, read your comment once again and I tried the knobs again. Turning the Bass & Treble knobs doesn't do anything, the volume knob however does change the sound. As I increase volume, the volume of the noise increases as well (although it's still not extremely loud). And now that I think about it, the speakers make the sound during songs as well (I just listened to a lower volume/slower song than usual and I hear the sound clearly audible above the song.

Does this change anything?

EDIT: The right monitor (that's the one without the power cable in it) is making noises as well. But it's more of a prickly kind of noise. Like disturbance of the signal. Any ideas how to fix that?

BertKoor wrote: Now this is a power plug as used in the UK for stuff that does need ground:
FWIW, that's not a UK plug, though UK plugs are indeed 3-pin plugs with ground.

my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Thx 4 the correction, Whytherabbyt.
I only realised it wasn't a UK model (actually USA? ) long after I posted it.

Has the problem been corrected?
If not, you can do this;
- Plug the speakers into power somewhere else in your house. If same noise, try them at another house.
- If noise is always there, exchange them as defective.
- If noise becomes less or disappears, still exchange, but you can also try filtered AC power strip[bar]. There are many types of possible AC noise. The bars have filter for switching noise[motors] and radio frequency[RF] interference noise. If I could hear the noise, I would be better able to identify it. There is one single AC to DC power supply for both speakers. If the defect is in the DC conversion section, it can sound more like a high pitch[switching] then a buzz[AC noise].
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”