Padshop (Pro) sample location? Steinberg sucks and feels so old... extra offensive :)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i have 2 preset libraries from HGS but where shall i put the SAMPLE folder in?

Steainberg sucks so much a** with their stupid locations.... i found the preset folder itself which is just burdened and cannot be moved (lol) but i couldnt find the samples folder yet. cause when i load a user preset it doesnt find the sample itself. and i dont want to import for every preset its sample manually!
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

From readme for my Excursions bank
This is the path on Mac

Users/yourusername/Documents/Steinberg/Padshop/Samples

Note from Steinberg Forum re Windows 7

To install for Windows 7-users that has installed Padshop Pro with the default path settings:

Place the PRESET-folder here:
C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Documents\VST3 Presets\Steinberg Media Technologies\Padshop\

Place the SAMPLES-folder here:
C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Documents\Steinberg\Padshop\Samples\

(notice that Windows shows the "Documents" folder as "My Documents" when using Explorer or GUI).

NB User folders for Padshop are only created if you have already saved a preset before. So if you have never created your own preset before, using your own wav's/samples, the folders will not exist. You have to create a preset with a new wav/sample manually, before copying/moving the above folders - Or you could just make the folder yourself

aMUSEd wrote:From readme for my Excursions bank
This is the path on Mac

Users/yourusername/Documents/Steinberg/Padshop/Samples

Note from Steinberg Forum re Windows 7

To install for Windows 7-users that has installed Padshop Pro with the default path settings:

Place the PRESET-folder here:
C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Documents\VST3 Presets\Steinberg Media Technologies\Padshop\

Place the SAMPLES-folder here:
C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Documents\Steinberg\Padshop\Samples\

(notice that Windows shows the "Documents" folder as "My Documents" when using Explorer or GUI).

NB User folders for Padshop are only created if you have already saved a preset before. So if you have never created your own preset before, using your own wav's/samples, the folders will not exist. You have to create a preset with a new wav/sample manually, before copying/moving the above folders - Or you could just make the folder yourself
wtf, maybe next time please make more subfolders and more fiel locations steinberg :D

thanks, imma check!
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

found, just stupid locations + so idiotic you cannot move the preset&sample folders. steainberg is such a crap company for this, and no you cannot defend this shit! even if they have good produucts, this needs to be shouted at and attacked. i begin to think to sell padshop.

Steinberg is the absolute worst when it comes to organization of content, especially user-related content, and their policy on factory content is from the dark ages.

Cubase is the only DAW on the market, afaik, that restricts / blocks use of factory audio content outside of the program itself. In ableton, for example, any drum hits (.wav files) used in a Drum Rack can also be freely grabbed, copied, moved, used elsewhere. Steinberg, otoh, apparently fear that their paying user-base will be ripping them off and selling their samples as packs online or some other nefarious behavior, so they lock and hide these content folders. Like that groove agent drum? Well, it's useable only from Groove Agent, yay, and how dare you think about finding it to use elsewhere! (As if we don't know how to just sample it, anyway if we REALLY wanted to....)

It's a weird, old-school, fear-based approach that values the Company over the (paying) User at every turn.

And it's a huge part of why I ditched Cubase a long while ago and use Live now for everything.

(and to be fair, I'll note that my knowledge of this goes back to Cubase 6 or 7 at latest, I haven't touched it since then, but I doubt much has changed in this area, knowing Steinberg!)

-M

You can always move those folders out on a different drive then symlink it back to the locations that Steiny requires...

EvilDragon wrote:You can always move those folders out on a different drive then symlink it back to the locations that Steiny requires...
sure but we have 2017 and so many other companies/products moved forward. such fundamental things shouldnt be an issue anymore.

if you build your own library with samples your C:\ drive will be full very fast...... stupid steinberg whose support sucks a** and never got back and leaves forum topics unreplied too. a company where you see how they dont give a f**k about customers as far as the money flows.

i know there are many fanboys but this cannot be discussed away, it'S simple facts.

mholloway wrote:Steinberg is the absolute worst when it comes to organization of content, especially user-related content, and their policy on factory content is from the dark ages.

Cubase is the only DAW on the market, afaik, that restricts / blocks use of factory audio content outside of the program itself. In ableton, for example, any drum hits (.wav files) used in a Drum Rack can also be freely grabbed, copied, moved, used elsewhere. Steinberg, otoh, apparently fear that their paying user-base will be ripping them off and selling their samples as packs online or some other nefarious behavior, so they lock and hide these content folders. Like that groove agent drum? Well, it's useable only from Groove Agent, yay, and how dare you think about finding it to use elsewhere! (As if we don't know how to just sample it, anyway if we REALLY wanted to....)

It's a weird, old-school, fear-based approach that values the Company over the (paying) User at every turn.

And it's a huge part of why I ditched Cubase a long while ago and use Live now for everything.

(and to be fair, I'll note that my knowledge of this goes back to Cubase 6 or 7 at latest, I haven't touched it since then, but I doubt much has changed in this area, knowing Steinberg!)

-M
Exactly the same impressions here and one reason i ditched Cubase with 6.5.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Caine123 wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:You can always move those folders out on a different drive then symlink it back to the locations that Steiny requires...
sure but we have 2017 and so many other companies/products moved forward. such fundamental things shouldnt be an issue anymore.
Hey I presented a solution YOU can be in charge of, and for which you don't need to wait Steinberg to get their shit together. Now you can go back to your whining, or do the solution and go happy about your life. Your choice.

EvilDragon wrote:
Caine123 wrote:
Hey I presented a solution YOU can be in charge of, and for which you don't need to wait Steinberg to get their shit together. Now you can go back to your whining, or do the solution and go happy about your life. Your choice.
i didnt offended you or was meant to offend you, thanks for the solution ;), maybe i should have made it clearer to split my post not quoting you ;). sorry for the misunderstanding....

The trick is to make sure the option "install for all users" is checked.

EvilDragon wrote:
Caine123 wrote:
I have a feeling that it is all about the whining.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 5#p6709115

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9#p6735019

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4#p6744904

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 5#p6748055

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4#p6749064

This is not consistently reliable in Windows.

ghettosynth wrote:
Its true that a few vendors have installation packages that will delete the hard links.
Its never been a problem for me, I just have a text file with the commands saved in it,
copy them, fire up the powershell, press ctrl-v... Fixed...

BTW its a necessity for me to use them, no choice really. Without redoing my entire
system.

-Cheers

pekbro wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
Its true that a few vendors have installation packages that will delete the hard links.
Its never been a problem for me, I just have a text file with the commands saved in it,
copy them, fire up the powershell, press ctrl-v... Fixed...

BTW its a necessity for me to use them, no choice really. Without redoing my entire
system.

-Cheers
Yep, and it has caused me issues. I used to do a lot more than I do now and I use them extensively in linux, but I'm very careful about it with Windows, especially when it comes to dealing with companies like Steinberg. IMO, OP has a point, Steinberg is rather old school about this stuff.

Return to “Instruments”