State of the art de-essing in 2017?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm getting more and more very sibilant vocal tracks to mix lately, due to rampant chinese condensers and overcompression inflation. I'm still on the Waves Rennaissance Deesser, but sometimes it doesn't quite cut it.

What's the current state of the art plugins/workflow? Any tips for tracking as well?

pro-DS is very good but I must admit I still tend to do a lot of manual automation

Always depends on in which shite position I've managed to put the mic in this time, but I do like the TB one in the plug-in pack - Sibilance.

Also like TDR Nova (although it tend to take a bit more tweaking) and sometimes, good old Spitfish will do a great job on it's own. As always, a bit of automation required here as well.

Singing, who said it was the glamorous role?

Eiosis De-esser is well worth a look, very nice and intuitive deesser. Works well, give it a whirl.

I've got Pro-DS and Eiosis E2. For my money, Pro-DS gets better results faster. However, the E2 is more flexible and tweakable allowing you to EQ just the transient signal, or add some shelving to the main signal. However, I find the release times a little strange at times. I think either are great, but if I could pick just one, it'd be Pro-DS.

Even though I have Pro-DS I still end up using FabFilter Pro-MB most of the time. It's insanely flexible and to my ears better at taming Esses. Sometimes I use both in series, usually Pro-MB first to take the "edge" off, then Pro-DS to reduce the overall Ess sound further.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

I should probably add, if I were only doing vocals, I'd start with Pro-DS. If a mix, cymbal overheads, or even guitar squeaks, I'd probably start with E2.

And forgot about TDR Nova GE. A very capable wideband deesser when needed!

Keith99 wrote:pro-DS is very good but I must admit I still tend to do a lot of manual automation
Same here. I knock the worst sibilants down a bit with automation, then use Pro-DS or E2 to smooth them out the rest of the way.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

bmanic wrote:Even though I have Pro-DS I still end up using FabFilter Pro-MB most of the time. It's insanely flexible and to my ears better at taming Esses. Sometimes I use both in series, usually Pro-MB first to take the "edge" off, then Pro-DS to reduce the overall Ess sound further.
Same workflow

Oh by the way, forgot one "secret weapon", especially good on Esses that "whistle". Oeksound Soothe. It can be a real life saver sometimes (and not just for esses).

DMG Audio Desser is worth a look and Eiosis

Believe it or not, Ren Deesser is still quite effective.

http://www.waves.com/plugins/renaissance-deesser

Oh it's on sale too it would seem.

Outside that the Eiosis Deesser is fully featured and quite impressive. I don't have it though, so I can't testify to it.

http://www.eiosis.com/e2deesser

RX has a new Deesser. I'm looking forward to trying that one out. I do have to say that RX is NOT cheap.

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/rep ... e-ess.html

Jax Pok wrote:DMG Audio Desser is worth a look and Eiosis
Indeed! Completely forgot about the DMG De-esser. It's amazing! Especially when the source is within a subgroup or in a fully mixed song.

They all do one thing, compress high frequency. The more the lookahead the better. a multi band compressor can do that.

Return to “Effects”