Zebra 2 oscillators lack significant ammount of high frequencies?

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EvilDragon wrote:Who cares about apparent lack of high frequencies when it still sounds bloody great? Are a lot of dogs going to listen to your sounds?
I'd like to decide for myself how much "air" my mix has. I tried hard to get the frequency curve straight with EQing the hell out of Zebra's GeoBlend saw wave, but you can not come close without increasing the bad part of the frequency spectrum (aliasing often sits there as well). And a little dash of gain at 15-16kHZ sometimes opens the mix quite nicely, even if it is barely audible.

I just spend two hours to replicate the clean high-end of Serum on an unfiltered OSC, and I am very glad and surprised that Zebra has the means to do so, at least for saw and square waves. You have to draw a full rectangle in the Spectromorph editor - one line all on the top - that creates a saw with 1023 partials that sounds much brighter than the Geomorph/Geoblend approximations, which have a visible drop after 15khZ even on crisp mode.

But I suspect that this is not obvious to many sound designers - it certainly was not to me -, which may be the reason why this undeserved "Zebra sounds dull, Zebra sounds too soft" comes up from time to time, especially when compared to newer synths or the king of aliasing, Massive.

Best,

K

ZaBong69 wrote:this undeserved "Zebra sounds dull, Zebra sounds too soft" comes up from time to time
Won't happen in Z3 anymore, promised :ud:

Zebra's oscillator code is from 2005, I think "crisp" came in around 2008. Computers have come a long way since, and so have methods to make things brighter while retaining sonic quality. We have recently invented a few more nifty things that I hope will push the envelope of wavetable synthesis again. Crazy shit coming up, can't wait to finish this...

ZaBong69 wrote:I am very glad and surprised that Zebra has the means to do so, at least for saw and square waves. You have to draw a full rectangle in the Spectromorph editor - one line all on the top - that creates a saw with 1023 partials that sounds much brighter than the Geomorph/Geoblend approximations, which have a visible drop after 15khZ even on crisp mode
Great tip, thanks

I run my soft synths out of my interface into a Tube Mixer by Radial.
Not that it's really needed, but caused me to make Zebra2HZ my Lead synth and my hardware as my polyphonic.
It's extremely powerful and because of separate glide and Duo/Legato being so well done the dirty leads are awesome. Sounds fantastic adding DSP FX post Tubes.
Z2HZ with poly VCA and external FX is big and punchy.

Cant wait for Wavetable treats.
I could dig Tubed Waldorf sounds.
My ancient SSM Waldorf died a year ago.
I'm still in mourning.

Return to “u-he”