Behringer D Synth - Full Analog, Eurorack compatible, No Keys, 400$

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Don't get the Youtube comments. This sounds absolutely Moogish. Lots of "golden ears" once again. I'm sure someone does a A/B comparison once it's out.

transmetropolitan wrote: Does anyone have any thoughts on the eurorack/cv integration?

Looks more than originally planned but a LOT less than something like Moog Mother 32.
Junk, right?

Reissued Model D doesn't have any eurorack/cv integration at all and it costs 3749 USD right now, which is almost 10 times more. :shrug:
Don't get the Youtube comments. This sounds absolutely Moogish. Lots of "golden ears" once again. I'm sure someone does a A/B comparison once it's out.
But it's The Moog - which read backward says "good" or even "god". To question god is a blasphemy!
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote:
transmetropolitan wrote: Does anyone have any thoughts on the eurorack/cv integration?

Looks more than originally planned but a LOT less than something like Moog Mother 32.
Junk, right?

Reissued Model D doesn't have any eurorack/cv integration at all and it costs 3749 USD right now, which is almost 10 times more. :shrug:
I think the Moog model D is a different kettle of fish even if it sounds incredibly similar.

Leaving the price differential to one side, I'm interested in how eurorack lovers would view this as a modular entry point vs something like Moog Mother 32.

Same ol same ol

Synth zealot idiots will only want/need the moog, it will stay well cared for (IE boxed and never used) will retain its value in future years, and is a piece of synth heaven.

The Behringer will be bought by the rest of us A holes who rip the box apart, use it everyday, make a ton of music, not take particularly good care of it because it was cheap, then complain that Behringer sucks because it breaks after ten years and 500 tunes made.
Duh

bungle wrote:Same ol same ol

Synth zealot idiots will only want/need the moog, it will stay well cared for (IE boxed and never used) will retain its value in future years, and is a piece of synth heaven.

The Behringer will be bought by the rest of us A holes who rip the box apart, use it everyday, make a ton of music, not take particularly good care of it because it was cheap, then complain that Behringer sucks because it breaks after ten years and 500 tunes made.
Funny post. :) Even though i don't think it bears reality really. I don't think people who buy a Moog don't end up using it. And i don't think the people who'd buy the Behringer use the shit out of it, and complain after years that it didn't uphold. I don't know how acribic Behringer were in rebuilding the original hardware, but, for that price, you just have to see that there have surely been made compromises, otherwise they wouldn't be able to offer it that cheap, especially with a fair amount of knobs on it too. So, i don't think that it'll be quite as good as a Moog rebuild, still, it's surely a pretty good device, and what i heard from the sound demos so far sounds very good really. If you're into analog synths, for that price, i think it's pretty much a no-brainer.

On the Behringer side there is some truth in your post. I have had some of my Behringer gear fail but it was in almost daily use. I think you have made a very fair point.

bungle wrote:Same ol same ol

chk071 wrote:I don't know how acribic Behringer were in rebuilding the original hardware, but, for that price, you just have to see that there have surely been made compromises, otherwise they wouldn't be able to offer it that cheap, especially with a fair amount of knobs on it too. So, i don't think that it'll be quite as good as a Moog rebuild, still, it's surely a pretty good device, and what i heard from the sound demos so far sounds very good really. If you're into analog synths, for that price, i think it's pretty much a no-brainer.
They probably make compromises somewhere, but I think Uli has mentioned many times that the main reasons why they could offer their stuff for cheaper are the purchase volumes (as they buy large quantities of parts from suppliers, thereby getting large discounts) and having their own manufacturing facilities in China. Moog, on the other hand, are more boutique in comparison, so they don't have such advantages that Behringer have. Their operational and part costs per unit could be a lot higher.
Peace, my friends. I'm not seeking arguments here. ;)

The Moogs are great instruments. They have a much larger form factor, solid wood case, quality keybed and are largely hand-built in America. It's a reissue so they've used original components irrespective of price where a new synth they would make more pragmatic choices (without compromising sound quality).

I'm certainly not someone that argues Moog is overcharging or anything like that. They will continue to sell Model Ds just fine. As a fully formed performance instrument it surely beats the Behringer comfortably.

Behringer is just doing something for a different market with completely different production methods. Small form factor, larger quantities and economies of scale, more automated production. Components chosen with value in mind (again, this does not necessarily mean compromising on things like sound quality).

transmetropolitan wrote:The Moogs are great instruments. They have a much larger form factor, solid wood case, quality keybed and are largely hand-built in America. It's a reissue so they've used original components
To me it reads: The Moogs are expensive piece of furniture that don't really fit on a desk. They are manufactured using legacy components and ineffective assembly lines. In fact they are built by Americans who are paid 4 times more than Poles :borg:

The keyboard is the only advantage, if you don't have several already.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote:
transmetropolitan wrote:The Moogs are great instruments. They have a much larger form factor, solid wood case, quality keybed and are largely hand-built in America. It's a reissue so they've used original components
To me it reads: The Moogs are expensive piece of furniture that don't really fit on a desk. They are manufactured using legacy components and ineffective assembly lines. In fact they are built by Americans who are paid 4 times more than Poles :borg:

The keyboard is the only advantage, if you don't have several already.
Well we'll wait and see. The different form factor will require a different physical layout internally, sometimes this can affect the performance of a unit even if component values and schematic are identical.

I'd also add that the performance controls (mod + pitch wheels etc) will need to work in a different way if they are to be implemented.

These are probably not major issues, I'd agree, but nonetheless...

I would wager that for most musicians, if you were to give them both units they would wind up doing quite different things with the two synths.

The Behringer D is now $300!!!

Preorders are up, due in September...
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BehringerD

Geez, at $300 I am almost tempted even though I don't really care about getting the Moog sound.

NEOREV wrote:The Behringer D is now $300!!!

They quickly took it off the net again. When they saw this post. :P

[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

chk071 wrote:
NEOREV wrote:The Behringer D is now $300!!!

They quickly took it off the net again. When they saw this post. :P
Sold out already?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”