Overestimated synths?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

MadBrain wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:I think that there is a big difference between talking about a synth vs a product. Even in the 80s, the DX7 WAS overestimated as a synth. The belief that it could recreate any sound, in theory, simply didn't hold up in practice. It would have been a much better synth with analog filters, although, that would most likely have limited its success as a product.
ghettosynth wrote:Not relevant. I simply said that it would have been a better synth with filters and that since it did not have filters, it was overestimated as there was a common belief, as you so clearly articulated, that they weren't necessary. Chowning's goals were academic, I understand that POV, it has jack all to do with whether or not a hybrid architecture is a better tool. It clearly is "as a synthesizer."

The fact that you aren't aware of the FS1R simply speaks to your own ignorance of the development of FM.
I don't think adding filters is the #1 most "effective" thing you could add to the DX7 to improve the sound... The problem is that filters are really something you use for controlling brightness, and FM already does that, so it's kinda redundant on most FM sounds (although you get resonance which is otherwise very hard to do).
First, I never said it was the "number one thing" so don't put words in my mouth. In fact, I said that it would have probably made it an unsuccessful product, although a much better synthesizer. Talking about effects is silly, integrated effects weren't really possible in the very early eighties whereas analog filters were. So you aren't even in the realm of practical possibility. Digital effects were very much in their infancy and the vast majority of products were analog. Even synths that did have effects had a very limited set. Mostly chorus until, AFAIK, Korg packaged digital delay into the DW series.

Second, you can't elevate FM and dismiss the qualities of filters in the same breath. The shitty filters on my JD800 and the SSM2040 in my Octave CAT are both low pass filters, but I assure you that they are vastly different in terms of quality and this matters quite a bit in obtaining interesting sounds. In any case, both sound more like an actual resonant filter than the overwhelming majority of weak efforts that you hear in many FM patches.
In fact, the whole point of how the DX7 is designed is to be able to control brightness without having to add another separate chip for each and every voice.
Yeah, I think that we all understand here, some more than others, Chowning's original intent and how Yamaha capitalized on that. What it seems many don't seem to understand is that FM does "filter emulation", if you want to call it that, very badly. You can reduce harmonics and you can try to add the harmonics that resonance adds, and you can even try to make this all frequency dependent in your modulation structure, but, you'll fail to make it sound like it would with a great filter and that's assuming that you have the complexity in the FM engine to begin with. In practice, in point of fact, you don't. If it were so easy, we would have lots of VA synths today that were FM under the hood. So, it absolutely makes a better synth to have great filters to make up for FM's implementation shortcomings.

The "point" of how the DX7 was designed was to take advantage of large scale integration and to dispense with per/voice hardware which dramatically reduced the costs over time of synth production. Incorporating any per voice logic would have caused the costs to balloon because you would have to do that processing in the analog domain which means 16 DA converters. If you still wanted to do stereo processing after the fact then that would mean additional complexity. So no matter what Yamaha actually felt about FM's capabilities were rather moot because the technology to implement digital filters just wasn't there and analog was out of the question from a cost point of view. Given that, of course they are going to sell this idea that you don't need filters.

If you don't think that the cost of technology drove the design of the entire DX line then you're just being naive. When it became cheap to add filters, i.e., in the digital domain, that's exactly what Yamaha did.

ghettosynth wrote:Talking about effects is silly, integrated effects weren't really possible in the very early eighties whereas analog filters were. So you aren't even in the realm of practical possibility. Digital effects were very much in their infancy and the vast majority of products were analog. Even synths that did have effects had a very limited set. Mostly chorus until, AFAIK, Korg packaged digital delay into the DW series.
Yeah, I was thinking of an analog chorus like on the Yamaha CE-25 and CE-20 (which came out before the DX7).
ghettosynth wrote: Second, you can't elevate FM and dismiss the qualities of filters in the same breath. The shitty filters on my JD800 and the SSM2040 in my Octave CAT are both low pass filters, but I assure you that they are vastly different in terms of quality and this matters quite a bit in obtaining interesting sounds. In any case, both sound more like an actual resonant filter than the overwhelming majority of weak efforts that you hear in many FM patches.
I'm not dissing filters, I'm just saying that they don't combine all that well with the DX7 specifically, sound wise. On other synths, they can be quite brilliant yes (even other FM synths with more interesting waveforms, which gives you more high end buzz to filter).

MadBrain wrote:
ghettosynth wrote: Second, you can't elevate FM and dismiss the qualities of filters in the same breath. The shitty filters on my JD800 and the SSM2040 in my Octave CAT are both low pass filters, but I assure you that they are vastly different in terms of quality and this matters quite a bit in obtaining interesting sounds. In any case, both sound more like an actual resonant filter than the overwhelming majority of weak efforts that you hear in many FM patches.
I'm not dissing filters, I'm just saying that they don't combine all that well with the DX7 specifically, sound wise. On other synths, they can be quite brilliant yes (even other FM synths with more interesting waveforms, which gives you more high end buzz to filter).
Why not? Beyond the practical issue polyphonic voicing, I don't think that you can articulate a technical reason why they wouldn't. They absolutely WOULD have, if they were a part of the design. Of course, you can't really use them with the DX7 in a per/voice context because there's no way to separate the voices of a DX-7. So, only monophonic sounds can be really had, and even then you need to provide filter modulation independent of the DX. Have you ever actually used a proper FM synth with high quality filters? FM8 is not that BTW.

There can be no valid technical argument for not appreciating the sound of a filter with any production FM synth. Either filters have an interesting sound that adds value beyond their ability to reduce harmonics or they don't. To argue that an SSM filter sounds glorious with filter FM in a VA but then suggest that it wouldn't elevate FM pads in the same way completely misses what the filter is doing to the sound.

Sorry, there isn't a soul here that can reproduce that sound with a DX7 and no filters. You won't even come close. You simply do not have the complexity in the engine to achieve the complexity and interest imparted by the filter. Similarly, you will not get that sound out of a VA or a real analog without a complex FM engine either.

There is this wonderful intersection of sounds that uses FM as a source and filters to tame and add character that is unachievable with either FM or subtractive architectures alone.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

phace wrote:sylenth1.. yes it's possible to get a good sound quickly out of it but it lacks features and the layout sucks

How and why did that synth ever become so popular?
Well its quite an old vsti, at the time of its release there weren't as many soft Synths available to choose from. Cpu wise it was always very efficient which can often factor into things, there's also the huge amount of Soundsets available and that makes it a popular choice for producers.

Sometimes less is more when it comes to features. I mean Sylenth is more than capable of producing a very wide range of sounds and timbres without too much effort.
I wouldn't say the layout sucks, perhaps the default skin wasn't to everybody's taste but that has been taken care of.

Having said that it does seem a bit over-priced as of today especially up against Synths such as Spire which take things to the next level but Sylenth is still a classic imo.

EnGee wrote:FM and Additive synthesis (as Wendy Carlos said) are like sewing (or painting, I can't remember now) with a fine needle and thread and you begin to 'add' till you reach what you want. It's the opposite process of Subtractive which you start 'raw' and subtracts (by filters) till you reach the desired sound.
She's talking about implementation in a simplistic sense. There is no reason whatsoever why any task cannot be approached from two directions at the same time, least of all synthesizing a sound.

In any case, it's oversimplified. Subtractive synths have additive and FM components and the process of creating a sound absolutely comes from both directions. Every time you add a sub, you are not taking something away, you are ADDING a sound. Every time you modulate one VCO with another, you are ADDING harmonics. You are building up the sound to later take some, all, or frankly, sometimes none of it, down with a filter.

Just because the early FM synths didn't have filters doesn't mean that one cannot find benefit in a similar process.
So, in the case of FM and Additive (and PD), no filter needed. But, because people found it not as easy to program their sounds, some developers begin to use FM, PD and Additive oscillators the way the subtractive synths do (filters) like Bazzile Bazille and Razor.
Nonsense. Filters are necessary if you want to achieve the sound of the filter with any practical FM synth. While being too challenging to program is true for a certain subset of the population in terms of a basic lowpass sound, this is not what you're getting with any high quality filter.
I believe that the sounds can be reached with FM, PD and Additive are not possible with subtractive synthesis (with its saw, pulse, sine, ...etc waves) due to the complexity of sounds those syntheses allow.
Subtractive is not a term that necessarily means VA. You can use any source you like. Applying a filter is then simply a subtractive process on that source. It doesn't matter whether that source is harmonic rich VA oscillators, a sample, or an FM oscillator.

I really don't understand these silly little silos that some of you seem to like to put synthesis technologies in. FM is a technique for synthesizing a waveform that gives you complex waveforms with a few control inputs. That's it friends, that's the point! There is no simple map from those control inputs to the output sound of any practical implementation of a high quality filter. Trying to reproduce that sound with control inputs not designed for that is a waste of time.

In fact, in practice, research has shown fairly well that matching of parameters of real instruments tends to far exceed any manual ability to program an FM synthesizer. This fantasy that filters aren't as absolutely beneficial as they in a VA synth is based on a very outdated understanding of what FM brings to the table and how it can be best leveraged. To the best of my knowledge there isn't any research on matching sounds of low pass filters with nonlinear saturation against an FM model.

Chowning's work was very early in the process of understanding FM for sound synthesis, obviously, and as an academic, he absolutely had an appropriate and constrained point of view with regard to its value and what would prove useful in the future. The gain wasn't about the ability to synthesise sounds with sine waves, we already knew that from Fourier, it was about being able to synthesize complex spectra with few parameters. That's really all his paper is about, seriously, read it. Those of you elevating FM to something more holy simply have a product driven and misguided perspective of what it was all about and how it fit into synthesis history.

What you SHOULD learn from the past forty years of research is that as a method for generating a complex spectra, FM is very useful, but, as a method for synthesizing a particular sound, it is MUCH more useful when combined with subtractive methods and especially so when combined with high quality analog modeling.

Back on topic, clearly, the entire DX line, overestimated, as many of you have decidedly demonstrated!
Last edited by ghettosynth on Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

ghettosynth wrote: Why not? Beyond the practical issue polyphonic voicing, I don't think that you can articulate a technical reason why they wouldn't. They absolutely WOULD have, if they were a part of the design. Of course, you can't really use them with the DX7 in a per/voice context because there's no way to separate the voices of a DX-7. So, only monophonic sounds can be really had, and even then you need to provide filter modulation independent of the DX. Have you ever actually used a proper FM synth with high quality filters? FM8 is not that BTW.
Nah, it's not a technical argument. It's just my personal feeling over the sound of FM synths, and you can totally disagree with it, of course (especially if you've done FM+filter patches that sound really good that motivates your line of thinking).

From a technical point of view, adding filters to the DX7 actually would have been possible, with a rise in price and probably a cut in polyphony from 16 to 8, using the kind of techniques you see in stuff like the Ensoniq ESQ-1.
ghettosynth wrote: There can be no valid technical argument for not appreciating the sound of a filter with any production FM synth. Either filters have an interesting sound that adds value beyond their ability to reduce harmonics or they don't. To argue that an SSM filter sounds glorious with filter FM in a VA but then suggest that it wouldn't elevate FM pads in the same way completely misses what the filter is doing to the sound.

Sorry, there isn't a soul here that can reproduce that sound with a DX7 and no filters. You won't even come close. You simply do not have the complexity in the engine to achieve the complexity and interest imparted by the filter. Similarly, you will not get that sound out of a VA or a real analog without a complex FM engine either.

There is this wonderful intersection of sounds that uses FM as a source and filters to tame and add character that is unachievable with either FM or subtractive architectures alone.
Just curious, what synth are you doing those sounds on? I'm not aware of any synth with both a full blown Yamaha-style FM section (as opposed to the "VA" style of FM where it's just an extra osc modulation rather than your main sound crafting tool) and an analog VCF.

MadBrain wrote:
ghettosynth wrote: Why not? Beyond the practical issue polyphonic voicing, I don't think that you can articulate a technical reason why they wouldn't. They absolutely WOULD have, if they were a part of the design. Of course, you can't really use them with the DX7 in a per/voice context because there's no way to separate the voices of a DX-7. So, only monophonic sounds can be really had, and even then you need to provide filter modulation independent of the DX. Have you ever actually used a proper FM synth with high quality filters? FM8 is not that BTW.
Nah, it's not a technical argument. It's just my personal feeling over the sound of FM synths, and you can totally disagree with it, of course (especially if you've done FM+filter patches that sound really good that motivates your line of thinking).
I think that your feeling is biased by the sounds that people create with FM synths which is circular reasoning. If you create a sound with the intent of using FM to remove all unwanted harmonics, then you will end up with the kinds of sounds that people program in the classic FM synths, since, you have no other way of removing unwanted harmonics.

If you instead program the FM synth to create interesting and evolving complex spectra and allow a filter to tame some or all of the unwanted harmonics then you get the advantages of FM as well as the value of the filter.
From a technical point of view, adding filters to the DX7 actually would have been possible, with a rise in price and probably a cut in polyphony from 16 to 8, using the kind of techniques you see in stuff like the Ensoniq ESQ-1.
Reducing the voices wouldn't be a technical requirement, simply a product requirement. Having only eight voices would have certainly rendered it a less interesting "product. The ESQ-1 just uses a multiplexed DAC so there's not really any secret sauce there. It would still require not summing the voices in the digital domain, filters per voice, and then post processing the filters for panning.
ghettosynth wrote: There can be no valid technical argument for not appreciating the sound of a filter with any production FM synth. Either filters have an interesting sound that adds value beyond their ability to reduce harmonics or they don't. To argue that an SSM filter sounds glorious with filter FM in a VA but then suggest that it wouldn't elevate FM pads in the same way completely misses what the filter is doing to the sound.

Just curious, what synth are you doing those sounds on? I'm not aware of any synth with both a full blown Yamaha-style FM section (as opposed to the "VA" style of FM where it's just an extra osc modulation rather than your main sound crafting tool) and an analog VCF.
There aren't any until recently. Modular synths have had this ability for a long time however. Like I said earlier, I used the Nord G1 quite a bit to pair DX style FM with VA modeled filters and I've used my TX-802 with my modular as well. It was also easy enough to do four voice polyphony with the Nord along with the modular.

As far as other early digital synths the K2000 has simple FM with filters although you won't hear me touting the K2K filters.

These days I do most of my work like this in Reaktor.

There is one possible difference between FM8 and the DX7 algorithms. I haven't touched FM8 in quite a while so I kind of forget, but does it support ring modulation between operators? That was an important part of some of the DX algos.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:There is one possible difference between FM8 and the DX7 algorithms. I haven't touched FM8 in quite a while so I kind of forget, but does it support ring modulation between operators? That was an important part of some of the DX algos.
Ring mod is more like Casio CZ and VZ and Roland D50... DX7 doesn't have ring mod in any algorithm that I know of :3

Some people will never grasp the difference between a list of features and an instrument.

Most of these people have an account on KVR.

FM as a technique has certainly stood the test of time -- as an ideology, not so much. That's all I have to say on the matter.
Makin' Music Great Again 8)

FM à la Yamaha had certain never seen features that has barely been mentioned here ( I read the thread quickly though), so I'll just try to underline a few points here : Plethora of oscillators AND plethora of 'advanced' envelopes to control them. Allowing some fast changes in the spectral content in a way that was simply not possible before. Also allowing some minimal 'additive like' synthesis, or 'multi-layering' techniques possibilities, again not available before. But, yes, the conjonction of -many- oscillators, each having their own envellope was certainly a definitive break in synthesis. ( Not counting the stacks you could invent with a full TX-816 for example)

Then, dismissing DX series because they have no filters (FM7/8 have a somewhat 'minimal/average' filter seems to me equally narrow minded as dismissing the Jupiter 8, because it lacks features the DX 7 have (especially all those ... 'enveloppes' and oscillators.

It's quite easy to make some very lively, superb and expressive presets on a DX7 without any filter, ie presets that definitely can't be replicated with a strict substractive engine, and it's even more easy on a soft synth like the FM8. Fact is : You don't always need a filter to create interesting instruments or presets. I take and enjoy synths for what they are. Not for what they 'should' or 'could' be/havebeen. All this imho etc ...
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

kurodo wrote:
phace wrote:sylenth1.. yes it's possible to get a good sound quickly out of it but it lacks features and the layout sucks

How and why did that synth ever become so popular?
Well its quite an old vsti, at the time of its release there weren't as many soft Synths available to choose from. Cpu wise it was always very efficient which can often factor into things, there's also the huge amount of Soundsets available and that makes it a popular choice for producers.

Sometimes less is more when it comes to features. I mean Sylenth is more than capable of producing a very wide range of sounds and timbres without too much effort.
I wouldn't say the layout sucks, perhaps the default skin wasn't to everybody's taste but that has been taken care of.

Having said that it does seem a bit over-priced as of today especially up against Synths such as Spire which take things to the next level but Sylenth is still a classic imo.
Alright.. good points. It has a clean sound overall, but it is thin when comparing the sound to a virus. I guess many people are using it somewhat like a rompler with all the soundbanks available for it. I always rather use other synths though, for example.. Predator is similar to Sylenth but has more features (minus the fourth osc), and sounds good if not better. I also dislike when the oscillators are not all visible on one page. But sylenth does have a good clean character with good quality onboard effects, so I'll give it that.

There is always a room for Sylenth in my tracks (and I have Virus and Spire too). Some things it just does better than Spire, and it is much easier to handle than Virus but at certain kinds of patches, like supersaws, plucks or acid it sounds almost just as good.

Actually it does have certain "hardware vibe", fat and alive sound like Diva or Lush but unlike those it has "virusy" rather than "analogue" character which makes it one of a kind among software synths.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

phace wrote:
Alright.. good points. It has a clean sound overall, but it is thin when comparing the sound to a virus. I guess many people are using it somewhat like a rompler with all the soundbanks available for it. I always rather use other synths though, for example.. Predator is similar to Sylenth but has more features (minus the fourth osc), and sounds good if not better. I also dislike when the oscillators are not all visible on one page. But sylenth does have a good clean character with good quality onboard effects, so I'll give it that.
Indeed
the Virus is a very hard act to follow, perhaps the new Synth from Adam Szabo may bridge the gap?

As you say a lot of producers are probably using Sylenth somewhat like a rompler
having said that I have no empirical evidence to back it up.

I agree with you about Predator which also has some very cool presets as well
as excellent Sound design possibilities.
Especially Predator 2, the x/y on it can add so much movement to a sound without resorting to host automation.

Actually I think Predator is a very underestimated Synth perhaps let down by its skins?
I wouldn't be at all surprised if it had shipped with something more neutral
it would gain much more respect.
But then again I am only basing that assumption on my own taste.
recursive one wrote: Actually it does have certain "hardware vibe", fat and alive sound like Diva or Lush but unlike those it has "virusy" rather than "analogue" character which makes it one of a kind among software synths.
Never really clicked with the Uhe selection of Synths which come across more like
a technical exercise in how much cpu power they can drain from my computer. :)
and then there's the placebo thing going on where everyone swears
that anything they make sounds infinitely better than anything else.
For reasons I can't explain that gets my goat :)

Take Hive for example, I am not even sure it stacks up well against Sylenth considering the era they were created in. Certainly not the Sylenth killer some have suggested.
I have a feeling I am going to regret saying that especially here on kvr :D

kurodo wrote: Take Hive for example, I am not even sure it stacks up well against Sylenth considering the era they were created in. Certainly not the Sylenth killer some have suggested.
I have a feeling I am going to regret saying that especially here on kvr :D
They will come for you :borg: :D

I think Hive is an OK synth but it misses certain qualities in its sound which I appreciate in Sylenth. Unfortunately I can't explain this in precise technical terms (if I could I think i could code my own synth). The other U-He synths, such as Diva or Bazile sound great but have limited use in my music as i don't make 80's disco or experimental ambient. I have high hopes for Zebra 3 since I expect that there will be some improvements in the sound (filters and stuff, i think Urs said something like that at least once).
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Return to “Instruments”