Next Propellerhead Reason upgrade (9.5) to include VST support

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reason 12

Numanoid wrote:
DubLifeSD wrote:It's Interesting they release this in a .5 update. Makes you wonder what they have in store for Reason 10?
Just goes to show how vital this addition is for Props, they can't wait for Reason 10 to implement it.

Reason 9 was released late June last year. So 11 months between 9 and 10 would be too short, even for Props, I guess.
It was smart to release it as 9.5 with a partial implementation. That way all of those people on the fence with older releases will update to version 9 just to get basic VST compatibility, but then, will most likely upgrade to 10 as well to get a refined and enhanced VST compatibility.

keel wrote:
mholloway wrote:
keel wrote:So. I've been playing around with Reason whole night. I dont normally use loops, but now I tried if some loops would fit to my beat. And what, there is no "browser preview sync to project"...?!? I can't sync my loops to my beat? Is this real? in 2017? O.o
Reason has a perfectly good warping algorithm and can sync your loops to tempo just fine (not sure about in the browser, though, but in the arrangement it can be done very easily).
I mean that if I have song playing and I preview loop in browser, it doesn't sync with the project in realtime. You know... :roll:
At what point it should start to play a loop though, immidiately? Also, would your tempo match the loop etc.

incubus wrote:
machinesworking wrote:
superscan wrote:Please take the ReWire tech you developed, and enable Reason to leverage it's full capability and/or extend the ReWire tech more. Just like Ableton Link, the industry will quickly adopt and leverage great tech. You have that opportunity.
Well said.

Developing Rewire into the modern era, with both Reason and the other DAW hosting VST, they will gain sales, no doubt about that.
But people have made music perfectly fine w/o this (snotty tone)

As for "the modern era" they won't. VST isn't enough of an excuse to use it. What was great about reason was the fast self-contained music making experience. VST's = more crashing and cpu issues. They are still not optimized well any longer as it is. Not hard to get crackles and for the engine to quit because if you go over 3 bars in the meter, that's more than it can handle for a huge portion of users.

Well, it damn sure is for me! I much prefer reason for getting my dance tunes off the ground. I still prefer Cubase and Reaper for everything else that isn't so pattern oriented and pretty much all mixing and mastering, but this is going to be great for me.

Are they going to update the size of the rack? It is postage stamp sized tiny on currently modern displays...

That is the main thing that has kept me from Reason over the years. UI way too small.

It would be interesting to have the ability to zoom in and out with the middle mouse wheel on the rack and have the rack maintain a sharp graphical level. Vectorized? That and pan/scroll around by dragging the cursor up, down, left, right around in the rack frame.

Wish someone owed me money because unless Reason at version 10 is half off I can't afford it. If I had self control I could save up for it but meh, at $400 for another daw, not appealing. I only own studio one and got that for $200 pro version. So much crap on my need to buy list.

deep'n'dark wrote:
keel wrote:
mholloway wrote:
keel wrote:So. I've been playing around with Reason whole night. I dont normally use loops, but now I tried if some loops would fit to my beat. And what, there is no "browser preview sync to project"...?!? I can't sync my loops to my beat? Is this real? in 2017? O.o
Reason has a perfectly good warping algorithm and can sync your loops to tempo just fine (not sure about in the browser, though, but in the arrangement it can be done very easily).
I mean that if I have song playing and I preview loop in browser, it doesn't sync with the project in realtime. You know... :roll:
At what point it should start to play a loop though, immidiately? Also, would your tempo match the loop etc.
I would think you would expect it to act like other daws, i.e. live will start playing your loop at the start of the next measure and matches the loop to the project. However you have adjustable settings, warped/unwarpped, raw, you can easily cover whether or not your want your loops start immediately or not and sync'd or not
Last edited by ezelkow1 on Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

machinesworking wrote: Developing Rewire into the modern era, with both Reason and the other DAW hosting VST, they will gain sales, no doubt about that.
incubus wrote: But people have made music perfectly fine w/o this (snotty tone)
Of course, people made music before computers, crazy. :hihi:
As for "the modern era" they won't. VST isn't enough of an excuse to use it.

Total disagreement here, I bought Reason a 1.0, used it until I found VSTs that sounded better than the included plug ins in v2.5. I like Reason, like the new instruments, like the approach, but I like DAWs like DP and Logic, Pro Tools, etc. big cumbersome or whatever... I own DP, Live, and soon Logic again, Reason sits at 2.5 and I see no rational to upgrade another DAW that doesn't play nice when ReWired. It's the reason I don't use Bitwig, it's the reason I mostly don't compose in Live anymore, at some point I want some DP9 feature, and having to port all plug ins and MIDI tracks over is a royal PITA.
I do not believe for a moment I'm alone. Say you start a project in Reason, and want to use some feature of Pro Tools, without being able to play or even use the VST tracks in Reason, you're very unlikely to want to start the project in Reason if you can do OK in Pro Tools with it. Plenty of users now own more than one DAW, and the DAWs that have unique features and full ReWire will come out ahead, just like Reason was ubiquitous in 2002 or so when VSTs could crash if you looked at them funny.

My take on this is Propellerheads is suffering from the same ego tripping that happens at Bitwig and Ableton HQ, they think they should be your only DAW, (At least Props think that now) therefore they put no effort into how their DAW will work with 'studio' DAWs like Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, Dp etc.

Full ReWire implementation with VST hosting on both master and slave would put Reason ahead of the pack IMO, it's a comfortable, easy to create electronic music in environment, and if they do this then more people who have vested interests in Pro Tools etc. will buy it or upgrade their copies for the first time, in my case in about 12 years!
What was great about reason was the fast self-contained music making experience. VST's = more crashing and cpu issues. They are still not optimized well any longer as it is. Not hard to get crackles and for the engine to quit because if you go over 3 bars in the meter, that's more than it can handle for a huge portion of users.
? Are you talking about Reason 9 as it stands? or some beta of the VST implementation.

The droves of Reason users who have never used hi quality plug ins are going to get a quick re-education here in the next few months.

Ableguy1 wrote:The droves of Reason users who have never used hi quality plug ins are going to get a quick re-education here in the next few months.
Right, LOL!

I left for a while. I come back and Tracktion has a mixer, and Reason has VST. Getting pumped for the windows version of Logic X!

Reasons Rack and VST , FrankensteinDAW... I just wonder how stable this will be(Reason9.5)and if it'll be ready at the end of May like they say it will .... Wonder if they release there Reason stuff as seprate VST ? Like Thor , Malstrom , Dr Octorex , etc etc ? Will Blocks work with VSTi ? ... What about multi output VSTi ? Wonder how it'll handle that routine to tracks ... I wonder if this VST thing will be Full on or Half baked ???? I wonder if they drop the price of the program $399 is pretty steep still. .. I guess I may demo 9.5 at the end of May .... I wonder if Reason Essentials 9.5 will have unlimited access to VSTs or will it be like LiveLite and limit the number of tracks and VSTs on tracks you use boy would that suck. If Reason Essentials 9.5 would be similar to let's say Studioone2producer that'd be a pretty cool starting point for getting me on board to try it again .. just saying .

incubus wrote:
machinesworking wrote:
superscan wrote:Please take the ReWire tech you developed, and enable Reason to leverage it's full capability and/or extend the ReWire tech more. Just like Ableton Link, the industry will quickly adopt and leverage great tech. You have that opportunity.
Well said.

Developing Rewire into the modern era, with both Reason and the other DAW hosting VST, they will gain sales, no doubt about that.
But people have made music perfectly fine w/o this (snotty tone)

As for "the modern era" they won't. VST isn't enough of an excuse to use it. What was great about reason was the fast self-contained music making experience. VST's = more crashing and cpu issues. They are still not optimized well any longer as it is. Not hard to get crackles and for the engine to quit because if you go over 3 bars in the meter, that's more than it can handle for a huge portion of users.
This is what's wrong with Reason people and what will quickly get corre4cted in the next couple months.

Buddy, if you honestly believe that, just quit music production = Because you don't know what you're talking about.

VST is not going to make Reason more "crash prone" = You sound like a child saying that. You're just a prime example of a Reason user trying to talk about something they don't know anything about.

SO glad people like you are about to get a LONG OVER-DUE education.

The irony of watching ignorant and arrogant people keep repeating that VST crash when we're all hanging out in a forum that wouldn't even exist if VST was an unstable format is truly a marvel.

Really glad people like that are about to get schooled once and for all.

It does slow things down a bunch. Especially if you have a ton of plugins.
Looking for non-existent presets and what not. At least from what I've seen so far. Hopefully, they'll work all that out. Due to the way the browser works, they'll likely need some special handling. Certainly seems that they are off to a good start. And, like was said before, all you have to do, is not use them. Reason will carry on just as it had before them.

*You could definitely customize which plugins are available to Reason quite easily, as you can control where they are to be found.

machinesworking wrote:
machinesworking wrote: Developing Rewire into the modern era, with both Reason and the other DAW hosting VST, they will gain sales, no doubt about that.
incubus wrote: But people have made music perfectly fine w/o this (snotty tone)
Of course, people made music before computers, crazy. :hihi:
As for "the modern era" they won't. VST isn't enough of an excuse to use it.

Total disagreement here, I bought Reason a 1.0, used it until I found VSTs that sounded better than the included plug ins in v2.5. I like Reason, like the new instruments, like the approach, but I like DAWs like DP and Logic, Pro Tools, etc. big cumbersome or whatever... I own DP, Live, and soon Logic again, Reason sits at 2.5 and I see no rational to upgrade another DAW that doesn't play nice when ReWired. It's the reason I don't use Bitwig, it's the reason I mostly don't compose in Live anymore, at some point I want some DP9 feature, and having to port all plug ins and MIDI tracks over is a royal PITA.
I do not believe for a moment I'm alone. Say you start a project in Reason, and want to use some feature of Pro Tools, without being able to play or even use the VST tracks in Reason, you're very unlikely to want to start the project in Reason if you can do OK in Pro Tools with it. Plenty of users now own more than one DAW, and the DAWs that have unique features and full ReWire will come out ahead, just like Reason was ubiquitous in 2002 or so when VSTs could crash if you looked at them funny.

My take on this is Propellerheads is suffering from the same ego tripping that happens at Bitwig and Ableton HQ, they think they should be your only DAW, (At least Props think that now) therefore they put no effort into how their DAW will work with 'studio' DAWs like Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, Dp etc.

Full ReWire implementation with VST hosting on both master and slave would put Reason ahead of the pack IMO, it's a comfortable, easy to create electronic music in environment, and if they do this then more people who have vested interests in Pro Tools etc. will buy it or upgrade their copies for the first time, in my case in about 12 years!
What was great about reason was the fast self-contained music making experience. VST's = more crashing and cpu issues. They are still not optimized well any longer as it is. Not hard to get crackles and for the engine to quit because if you go over 3 bars in the meter, that's more than it can handle for a huge portion of users.
? Are you talking about Reason 9 as it stands? or some beta of the VST implementation.
I probably shouldn't have said anything as people think my comments mean I don't have an optimized computer or don't know the difference, but what I mean is that reason has gotten progressively worse in CPU use from version 8. I don't think I have to be a MIT professor to assume that adding VST will simply make this worse.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”