Ardour-Is it legal to grab this DAW from torrents?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi
I do not know if it is good place to ask my question but I have a problem
Now I am trying to use only legal DAW and free plugins. I thought Ardour will be the best for my music. Unfortunately from official site I can grab only source code for free. It wont be a problem to donate and get full installer but I am 17 and I do not have a Paypal account so I have to ask
Will it be legal to download Ardour bulid from torrents?

Why not get an adult with a paypal account to buy it for you?

Ardour is licensed to GPL2, which quite explicitely names free software - not only free of charge, but also free to distribute and modify.:

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html

SO IMO it means yes - but the task to get Ardour running is up to you. Subscription options should be rather considered donationware.

Still, devs ask for support. 45 USD is not that much, is it?
I thought this was free software

Ardour is free in the following ways:

You are free to do anything with it that you want (including use it on as many machines as you wish, make copies of it for friends).
You can get the source code without charge, and build (and modify) the program yourself.
Some people like to explain this with the phrase "Ardour is free as in free speech, not free as in free beer".

If you want the convenience of using our ready-to-run version and/or for support from Ardour developers and experienced users, we ask that you pay something for this.

If you don't want to pay for a ready-to-run version, then you'll need to get the source code and build it yourself. We do not provide assistance with this process and particularly on Windows and OS X this can be challenging and take a long time.

This is a big, complex software project, and without revenue to support its development, it will almost certainly grind to a halt. Our download system is one way that we try to raise revenue. Please consider being a part of the wonderful group of people who help to make this continued development of Ardour possible.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Have you considered Reaper? I heard it's a far better host than Ardour. Last time I looked the demo version is fully functional without limitation. It will show a nag screen and that's it. Pay for it when you saved up for it and you're convinced it's worth it.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

No parents? Uncles? Older friends? Nobody? Can i call you Robinson? :D
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=best+free+daw

Tracktion T5 is fully free.

Ok
Thank you so much for help
I'm testing Tracktion now and I have a question ( I know it is probably not good place for that so sorry )
Is it possible to sequence midi drums in tracktion ? I mean FL Style programming where I can make loops based on my own wav samples and I can send each one drum to separate tracks and after everything render all drums to separate WAVs ( you know for example Kick-one wav Hihat-second etc ) to mix them in another DAW
It's important for me becouse I am hip hop maker :D

Most likely yes ..... Tracktion5 would probably​ be the better free DAW right now that's unlimited tracks and effects ... Now Mulab Free is 4tracks limited , it has a sampla , Drum sampla and multi sampla , might be better for midi beat making because the included drum sampler plugins and routings .. you could make 4 track drum beat , kick snare high hat to separate tracks like you said ,using your own. You could use both for different needs ..

mario995 wrote:I'm testing Tracktion now and I have a question
I suggest that you make a new thread here http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7

mario995 wrote: I mean FL Style programming
I think you should check out LMMS(http://lmms.io). Its stated aim is to be a clone of FL Studio. IMHO, it's not really a 100% clone, but the overall workflow is same, so it should be very familiar if you are accustomed to FL. And it's totally free.

Yeah Lmms it actualy pretty good in my opinion.
But Realy the free Reaper option is almost a no brainer.

:P

why not use reaper
damm stable and damm flexible and a huge community
plus no feature limitation only a nag screen of 5 sec at start and comes with its own 32-64 bit vst host
and it may become the next industry standard (i know pro tool is the std but i saw reaper being used in the recent COD WW2 game and trailer also.)
Win 10 x64 with specs enough to run DAW without bouncing any track
KZ IEM,32-bit 384Khz dac running at 32bit 48Khz
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

Whenever i tried LMMS, it was quite buggy (plus it uses a VST wrapper, which will be negative on the performance). I think learning Tracktion is the better option TBH. At least, it's Windows native, unlike LMMS. And it supports ASIO, which LMMS only supports third party wise too.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”