2017-composer's wishes

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Michael L wrote:A composition-related feature I would find useful is a midi buffer. When you improvise on an armed track, the midi is recorded to the clipboard. When you play a phrase you want to keep, you paste the clipboard to the track. Would that be useful to many others?
I tried that yesterday evening and think, that MuLab almost behaves this way. Almost. I set two markers (start and end), enabled loop and started recording. As long as I recorded, I saw nothing. But after stop MuLab showed me a phrase and asked with a popup what to do with the second one. I choosed "new track" and MuLab created a new sub-track containing that phrase. So maybe it would be enough to set that choice by default in the preferences (that's missing). Then MuLab would create a number of tracks containing all your tries and you can choose later, what to keep. Is that what you meant?

nenneb wrote:Is that what you meant?
Thanks so much, nenneb. The looping/sub-track idea works, but I would prefer fewer key commands when improvising so I can stay in the flow.

Perhaps an 'opposite' approach: A Project-level preference that when one records midi in a part and presses Rewind (midi CC or Shortcut), it returns to the beginning and also erases the last take. That way you can keep on exploring a phrase until you like it, MuLab automatically records it, and you can add it to a stack of good sub-tracks.

I tried different Shortcut combinations, but can't find one that clears the 'midi buffer.' If I could Shortcut the Spacebar to a Rewind and a 'Clear-Midi' function together, that would make a fast workflow, but it seems we can't have one Shortcut to two functions.

Also, I prefer a Project-level preference because it fits well with a 'Sketching' project template that can open as an extra project window, to give more flexibility to try beats-per-bar/ grids/ synths etc without messing up the main project.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Michael L wrote:nenneb, when you select notes and R-click to the context menu, in Function> Change Velocity you can Add, Percent, Set, Limit and Random. Does that do what you want?

A composition-related feature I would find useful is a midi buffer. When you improvise on an armed track, the midi is recorded to the clipboard. When you play a phrase you want to keep, you paste the clipboard to the track. Would that be useful to many others?

Absolutely!

I very much support this request :)

One more:
Is there a possibility to let the ruler in the audio-editor show bars and ticks (1:0:0) instead of min:sec?

Concerning the chord/text/info-pads I found an old thread from 2015 where I asked for that and some others agreed:
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=452293&p=6322004#p6322004

So as today's summary we ask for four issues:
1) A text carrying track visible in composer as well as in key-editor to be able to show chords or lyrics or text-memos.
2) The ruler in the audio-editor should offer selection of showing bars:beats or min:sec
3) The logical selector should allow selection within a single bar (e.g. all between 1:0:0 and 2:0:0 in all selected 16 bars)
4)A Project-level preference that when one records midi in a part and presses Rewind (midi CC or Shortcut), it returns to the beginning and also erases the last take. That way you can keep on exploring a phrase until you like it, MuLab automatically records it, and you can add it to a stack of good sub-tracks.

A note to 1)
I often make the song structure using Band-in-a-Box, then generate a MIDI-file and finetune it with MuLab. BiaB does store the chord data within the MIDI-file using some sort of a table. Every chord is determined by two bytes only. It would be top of the top if MuLab could read that. And it would make MuLab unique, as actually only PGmusic's software can handle this data.

nenneb wrote:One more:
Is there a possibility to let the ruler in the audio-editor show bars and ticks (1:0:0) instead of min:sec?
Not yet, but it's on the wishlist.

A new one:
Sometimes it would be useful, to open two tracks at one time in the editor to see, what is happening in another track while editing one of them.
I know, that I can open floating windows and position them above each other. But changing tracks is quite difficult then.
So it would be great to open multiple tracks in editor window by simple shift- (or ctrl-) clicks.

What do you think about a "end-of-song"-marker making the play-cursor stop?
I'd like it for not having to stop the song manually as well as a known song-length should optimize the composer's screen usage.

Good idea! :tu:

+1

+2
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

++ :tu:

In edit-mode MuLab remembers for all tracks the zoom-setting. That's useful sometimes.
On the other hand I'd prefer seeing the same area when selecting another track. When entering notes it's important to know, what is played on the other tracks. So I stay in edit-mode and simply select track for track to see what's going on there. In case, there is no sequence at the actual time-position, the edit window should simply stay empty instead of jumping back to the composing-window.

Would it be possible to get a tracks MIDI-channel-setting visible beside the Solo/Mute-Buttons to have a quick overview?
And a click on that indicator should open the channel-setting-dialogbox.

nenneb i advise you to switch daw because none of those things are happening any time soon :hihi:

Return to “MUTOOLS”