Overestimated synths?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jancivil wrote:
Etienne1973 wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:What we have learned is that when you add filters to FM you get a better instrument. That is a fact that no amount of hagiographic whining will change.
Main weakness especially of the DX7 Mk1 was/is analog synth emulation. So if you're after typical analog subtractive synthesis sounds with FM synths, then yes, filter(s) can help.
What if they're sluggish filters? Oh no, filters per se have to make a better instrument because that's what you understand better. That clothing is sheer.
Your argument here is rather stupid, no? First "sluggish filters", what's that? Which filters developed by yamaha in the 70s and 80s were "sluggish?" Second, you're now inappropriately adapting my view to try and defend your own pov in lieu of one that you have no experience with and no understanding of. The very thing that you're accusing me of is what you are representing here. You have no experience using FM with filters and so that is what you understand, poorly, and so it's better. This is Dunning Kruger. You don't actually know what I understand and you demonstrably lack the experience to assess it in any meaningful way. The clothing is only sheer in your view because you are ignorant of the very thing that you imagine yourself to be an expert on.

You can't use FM8, you don't know about the FS1R or FM in the Nord G1, you have no real understanding of the DX7 algorithms beyond a "picture" on the membrane, you dropped out of school because you couldn't hack the learning, and yet, we should all respect you enough to tolerate your shitty attitude and constantly rude behavior?

A reality check is in order here.

Of course you're not interested in my estimation of genius.
You demonstrate again and again to us all just how narrow your conception is, you lack the curiosity that people who gravitate to innovation in music evidence.

You can say whatever you like to a person and when I say frankly your conception here is intellectually lazy, it's time to make a stink about friendly conversation.

And, yes, more circular gainsaying should normally be at its end. My point of view is that the Chowning-cum-Yamaha engine is powerful in itself. I think that pointing out that <independent envelope control amounting to dynamic spectra is significant> suffices to illustrate why I feel that way. So faced with nothing more to say yourself it's time to tell me I'm "left with nothing to say". That's just projection. You try ridicule 'hagiographic whining' but, pro tip, that just looks like emotional upset.

and there you have it folks. the devil may care world of synth estimators, as free to estimate as they are to be disputed. maybe your town will become the next wild frontier in the ongoing saga of the near legendary synth! estimatooorrrrss!
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Very nice, now, back to "sluggish filters."

EnGee wrote: But this algo is easy to do in FM8! Maybe you can do all of them (the 32 algorithms of DX7) and save them for easy future recall.
All 32 of them are already in there and saved as presets. The only thing that's necessary is to RTFM.

jancivil wrote:Of course you're not interested in my estimation of genius.
We're over that, we're talking about sluggish filters and how you don't understand Dunning Kruger or projection.

Tell us more about your experience with FM and filters....and academic publication?

ghettosynth wrote:
EnGee wrote: But this algo is easy to do in FM8! Maybe you can do all of them (the 32 algorithms of DX7) and save them for easy future recall.
All 32 of them are already in there and saved as presets. The only thing that's necessary is to RTFM.
Yes, I see!
What a silly behaviour! You edit your post twice and eventually didn't get it right! Just to show that you posted the algo first! Your operators, Mister Filter, need to be enabled all of them, you need to edit it for third time now (I know you know that of course, your are genius :hihi: )

Oh, and stop teaching us! Teach yourself first and be humble man! Do you really compare yourself to John Chowning?!!
What arrogant! More than our neighbour's rooster!
Last edited by EnGee on Mon May 01, 2017 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

I was really into Dunning & Kruger back when they were making organic techno. Then they starting using sluggish filters. Yuck!

Frantz wrote:I was really into Dunning & Kruger back when they were making organic techno. Then they starting using sluggish filters. Yuck!
Totally! What WERE they thinking? The live shows were terrible. It was like watching people checking their email, very slowly.

EnGee wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
Yes, I see!
What a silly behaviour! You edit your post twice and eventually didn't get it right! Just to show that you posted the algo first! Your operators, Mister Filter, need to be enabled all of them, you need to edit it for third time now (I know you know that of course, your are genius :hihi: )
What I posted isn't a working patch, it's just the boxes filled in to show the routing. I responded and then added the algo after the fact. What are you mad about, you chose it from a preset and didn't seem to know that they were all in there already?

Seriously, what's your point here? Do we need to get out the ruler?

Oh, and stop teaching us!
I see, you're mad because you learned something.
Teach yourself first and be humble man! Do you really compare yourself to John Chowning?!!
What arrogant!
More Hagiography, yay! I'm not comparing "myself" to anyone. All of that exists in your mind. Use google scholar and teach yourself something before you think that you're prepared to teach me about being humble.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Mon May 01, 2017 12:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

ghettosynth wrote: Totally! What WERE they thinking? The live shows were terrible. It was like watching people checking their email, very slowly.
Like checking their email on dial up fer chissakes! :shock:

Frantz wrote:
ghettosynth wrote: Totally! What WERE they thinking? The live shows were terrible. It was like watching people checking their email, very slowly.
Like checking their email on dial up fer chissakes! :shock:
On very long phone cables. Like those ones that come on a big crank up roll. Watching them unroll the cable was more exciting.

ghettosynth wrote:
Learned something from 'you'? Don't be silly!
I have never learnt something useful from you! All you write is about your self esteem and the importance of the filter, then keep repeating :hihi: What can I learn from that?!

EnGee wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
Learned something from 'you'? Don't be silly!
I have never learnt something useful from you! All you write is about your self esteem and the importance of the filter, then keep repeating :hihi: What can I learn from that?!
Apparently you learned that all of the algorithms are available as presets even though it wasn't intended that way. Why would you suggest that she create them otherwise? Don't worry, nobody else noticed that you were butthurt over something so silly. It's just between us.

BTW: If you don't think the filter is important, then go ahead and try your hand at the two simple challenges that I posted earlier. There are more where those came from. Oh, or perhaps NI hires people who don't know what they're doing to create presets and they only use filters because that's all they know?

Do you think that's it? Or maybe, just maybe, if you're stuck up John Chowning's ass that maybe you missed a memo or two?

EnGee wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
Yes, I see!
Your operators, Mister Filter, need to be enabled all of them
I don't have a license to use it. This is why. I don't like it. For example, I used Absynth for YEARS and never read the f**king manual. There's the FM8 UI. There's the DX7 manual. Which I never saw before today. It isn't what I want to work with. That's me. I don't guess I'm clever enough to reimagine the FM8 Graphics into the actual DX7 32 algorithms.
AND, I actually read the part of the manual, 4.2.6 - FM Matrix. I don't see it. It's simply a different UI. The manual is shit for this. As I said, I'm good with being too stupid for it. Really.

Anyway...
ghettosynth wrote:when you rudely...
Here, dig some backstory. Following years of this kind of ad hom:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=356388

"it induces one feeling only, that of a dated perspective on "aliens." Like some bad made for TV special from the 70s."
Compare this Youtube comments remark on Zappa's Dance Me This, purportedly his last compositions: "This is like music for a bad direct-to-DVD movie". So, congrats on that quality trolling. We have so much to learn from you.

Yes, definitely intellectual laziness. People that never self-critique get stuck in their limited paradigm. This is a known issue as they say in the trade.

Sure, John Chowning is no genius. Tell us all about your estimations some more again. :idiot:
Last edited by jancivil on Mon May 01, 2017 1:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Instruments”