Next Propellerhead Reason upgrade (9.5) to include VST support

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reason 12

memyselfandus wrote:Can someone confirm if drag n drop midi works? Lots of people asking
It doesn't work like you want it to work :(.

Grum.

Grumbleweed wrote:
memyselfandus wrote:Can someone confirm if drag n drop midi works? Lots of people asking

Grum.
Oh, brother... :roll:

Grumbleweed wrote:

Grum.
It either works or it doesn't?

This VST thing got me theory crafting about using Reason again. That led me to my two main wishlist items for Reason 10

-A nice freeze track function that really disables all devices in a chain and allows to minimize them in the rack/make them back&white/greyed out (minimize into a single wrapper?). Easy accessible freeze/unfreeze toggle button in sequencer/rack view? This would be great for users with limited machines such as macbooks. When using bounce in place one either has to combine a chain and save it and then remove it (to be able to restore it later, very tedious), or manually disable devices and hope that they dont drain the cpu, which is tedious. Im assuming this function would want to identify situations where cables are patched into other channels such as sidechains?

- Super combinator, user can now add buttons and sliders freely to the combinator frontpage and map them to stuff inside the patch. This will eliminate the need to mentally untangle patches just to tweak a parameter, by allowing to expose all tweakables instead of only 4 dials + 4 buttons. This makes them more self contained/black box type of thing. Ability to load comb patch inside another comb patch. Possibly also a scratchpad that can open up where the layout of devices is not 1 dimensional but instead 2D, where items can be laid out according to logical function, this is more of a nice to have.

memyselfandus wrote:
Grumbleweed wrote:

Grum.
If by dragging midi onto the device's track results in the creation of another unrelated track with an ID8 device strapped to it is your definition of working then, yes it works.
If you expect the midi to sit where you put it and drive the plugin you dragged the midi from (or anywhere else) then you'll be disappointed.

As no-one wants the first method I'd say it doesn't work like you'd want it to work.

Grum.
Last edited by Grumbleweed on Mon May 01, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Also prop's annual May sale starts next week, jiggery pokery confirmed but said other devs may start earlier, so maybe with this announcement there could be some huge reductions on some RE's with their incoming competition of thousands of vsts

Grumbleweed wrote:
memyselfandus wrote:
Grumbleweed wrote:

Grum.
If by dragging midi onto the device's track results in the creation of another unrelated track with an ID8 device strapped to it is your definition of working then, yes it works.
If you expect the midi to sit where you put it and drive the plugin your dragged the midi from (or anywhere else) then you'll be disappointed.

As no-one wants the first method I'd say it doesn't work like you'd want it to work.

Grum.
Oh no! Gotcha. That will have to change because the whole point of having something like ezdrummer on a track is to be able to drag midi patterns from ezdrummer to the track! I hope they are aware of this..

Like I said, PDC and some remedial stuff like the mentioned drag/drop midi are paramount. VST support is not.

Cart before the horse imnsho.

ezelkow1 wrote:Also prop's annual May sale starts next week, jiggery pokery confirmed but said other devs may start earlier, so maybe with this announcement there could be some huge reductions on some RE's with their incoming competition of thousands of vsts
Jiggery poker stuff is on the top of my list of RE's to get as soon as they support midi drag n drop to selected track and add midi effects. The jiggery stuff is awesome!

incubus wrote:Like I said, PDC and some remedial stuff like the mentioned drag/drop midi are paramount. VST support is not.

Cart before the horse imnsho.
Agreed. Now that they support vst's it's a must to allow them to work properly including drag n drop.

memyselfandus wrote:
ezelkow1 wrote:Also prop's annual May sale starts next week, jiggery pokery confirmed but said other devs may start earlier, so maybe with this announcement there could be some huge reductions on some RE's with their incoming competition of thousands of vsts
Jiggery poker stuff is on the top of my list of RE's to get as soon as they support midi drag n drop to selected track and add midi effects. The jiggery stuff is awesome!
His stuff is usually good on sale, was better when they had more bundles, but still good. You can pick up his whole modular setup of ammo+utils pretty cheap during the sales along with his BBD and other stuff. Id also recommend lectric panda's stuff like korde, shape, propulsion, since we wont have midi routing between vsts they do provide some interesting alternatives

memyselfandus wrote:
Grumbleweed wrote:
memyselfandus wrote:
Grumbleweed wrote:

Grum.
If you expect the midi to sit where you put it and drive the plugin your dragged the midi from (or anywhere else) then you'll be disappointed.

Grum.
Oh no! Gotcha. That will have to change because the whole point of having something like ezdrummer on a track is to be able to drag midi patterns from ezdrummer to the track! I hope they are aware of this..
They have been aware for a Very. Long. Time.

And in fact, during the Reason 8 beta test, a Prop guy said it would be fixed in an 8.x upDATE!

Bloody hell, more ID8s again. :(
Last edited by festeringheap on Mon May 01, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

:lol:

Man, it's SO f**king annoying :x

Give them some time, hell, they've just come out with VST support. Even though I use some of those kinds of tools, not having midi drag and drop is certainly no big deal to me. I'm hugely excited to be able to use the Reason sequencer with some of my favorite plugins for certain kinds of music.

Now damn it, give me the beta already!

ghettosynth wrote:Give them some time, hell, they've just come out with VST support. Even though I use some of those kinds of tools, not having midi drag and drop is certainly no big deal to me. I'm hugely excited to be able to use the Reason sequencer with some of my favorite plugins for certain kinds of music.

Now damn it, give me the beta already!
Some time? It was an issue 2 and a half years ago. Time? Countries have risen and fallen in that time (literally)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”