Best Virtual Big Muff and Blues Driver Plugin version?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi I am looking for your opinion on what is the best Big Muff and Boss Blues Driver plugin.

I use Logic Pro X and I don't have UAD.

I do have Logic Pro X Guitar pedal Board, Waves GTR, Guitar Rig, and I open to try some freeware and buy a fuzz or blues driver third party if its better than what I have already.

I never used the real Big Muff or Boss Blues Driver so I am not sure how accuarate the Logic X Pedal, Waves GTR and Guitar Rig Version are of the Big Muff and Blues Driver are.

The reason I want these 2 effects is because I watched a Youtube video that had these 2 actual hardware pedals and I loved the tone of the hardware Big Muff and Blues Driver.

I want to know what is the best Plugin version out there you tried excluding the UAD version since I don't have a UAD card.

Thank you! :tu:

Get a real Big Muff. Electro-Harmonix makes all sorts of variations, some of which are in the same price range as lower priced plugins. The response of your guitar to an actual Big Muff is going to be MUCH different than going into a plugin. I've A/Bed several hardware Big Muffs with the Triangle Muff plugin from Universal Audio (going into an Apollo Duo), and the real things blow away the plugin.

The best Muff that I have is a Stomp Under Foot Violet Ram's Head. Long name, but it NAILS those late 1970s Fripp tones.

Sean Costello

Hi Sean, Thank you for the great reply. I love your company. Keep up the great work!

I am looking to play similar guitar to the band "Muse".

'Thank you again.
Last edited by Undiscovered on Sat May 20, 2017 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Logic pedal board is pretty good as are the amp sims. That said I now use Scuffham Amps far more they are about as close to playing through a real amp, in the box as it gets.
You could find the best Big Muff or Blues Driver pedal out there but it also needs to go through a good amp plugin.
In terms of pedals the Plugin Alliance greenscreamer and yellowdrive are currently available for $9 each. Worth trying them out.
Also Cytomic The Scream, not exactly what your looking for.But with the mods available within in the plugin it has a hell of a range. Might need a bit of tweeking and trial and error though.
Don't really know of any Big Muff or Blues Driver plugins though. I'll be intrigued to see if there are any.
Maybe suggest to Andy at Cytomic that he makes a Big Muff emulation next.I am sure he would do a great job.

Lazylefteye wrote:...Maybe suggest to Andy at Cytomic that he makes a Big Muff emulation next.I am sure he would do a great job.
Letting know Andy about it is defenitely a good idea.
I'd really like a Big Muff emulation from him.
Already told him.

Well...for what it's worth, there's a free one from EFM. Probably not very accurate, though.
http://untidymusic.com/vst-plugins/free ... st-plugins

And Mokafix had one. But that is of course missing in action since he closed up shop.
Demo/soundtrack work: https://soundcloud.com/antaln
My post/prog rock band: http://www.sylvium.com

Try Kazrog's big muff pedal. I'm not familiar with those type of pedals but his HM-2 and tubescreamer pedals are miles ahead of everything else out there.

http://kazrog.com/products/thermionik/

Yep, Kazrog.

Best? That would be Mokafix (32bit SE discontinued)
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

I am not a fan of the extended gain and level range that Kazrog's pedal emulations offer. Some folks like that feature for the versatility it offers, I find it a little confusing. But apart from that I agree with the users that recommended them.

Just chiming in to second Sean's take on it. Best to find a real Muff that sounds good to you. If you don't want to commit to a certain setting when recording, you can split the signal to two tracks, then re-amp the clean one if need be.

I have a 70's red-and-black Pi and I've never found ANY software, whether it's an attempt to emulate a Muff or whatever, that will unleash the glorious rock 'n roll rage and passion that the Big Muff offers.

... Kinda takes it to eleven if you're running it into a Marshall stack, of course... :P

This thread pushed me to try the BM I have with my Kazrog collection. I got instant joy from using it. Although to me there needs to be a lot more range in the gain knob. I have a hardware BM here as well and the the Kazrog unit appears to have much less range.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

You have all that gain and more. Use input gain knob to extend the gain range by 24 more dB, which should be plenty enough!

Note that Kazrog modelled a particular BM unit (Ram's Head, version 2 of Big Muff pi). You got the exact same one? :)

And even then:

"THE SOUND - It should be clearly stated that there is no 'one' Ram's Head Big Muff tone. Basically the V2 is just a new box for the V1. As with the V1 Big Muffs, the bass, treble, gain, and fuzziness of the tone varies slightly from unit to unit, sometimes wildy, due to constantly changing the schematic to work with component supply. "

http://www.kitrae.net/music/big_muff_history1.html

It's not a lack of gain as much as a lack of the more subtle distortion, but thanks for the tip. I have not really used the latest Kazrog plugins until now. Scratch previous comments. In the zone now. Mine is an EH but one of their more recent mutant versions, the Little BM.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

sometimes wildy, due to constantly changing the schematic to work with component supply.
Yep, older muffs do vary wildly but not just from constantly changing parts. Back in the day, the same parts could vary a lot as manufacturing tolerances were not as tight as they are today.
Then, add to that the fact that component values can drift with age. This all means that finding any two vintage Muffs that sound exactly alike is near impossible. Even back in the day, top players would often go through dozens of them before they found that "magic" one.

That being said, I'm a fan of both EFM's and Mokafix's muff emus.
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

Return to “Effects”