MOK Waverazor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Waverazor

Ah yeah thanks, I forgot there's that subfolder of basic wave form presets - That's done the trick :)

Marty Dibergi: The review you had on Waverazor which was merely a two word review. Just said "ShitRazor."
David St. Hubbins: Where did they print that?
Derek Smalls: That's not real, is it?

Can someone confirm something for me, please? I've watched a couple of videos of this thing and it seems to be lacking any kind of modulation ability. I can't see any envelopes or LFO on it anywhere, which means all you get is a single tone that goes on forever. Is that right? Seems like a complete waste of time if that's how it is.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote:Can someone confirm something for me, please? I've watched a couple of videos of this thing and it seems to be lacking any kind of modulation ability. I can't see any envelopes or LFO on it anywhere, which means all you get is a single tone that goes on forever. Is that right? Seems like a complete waste of time if that's how it is.
The envelopes and LFOs are currently buried and directly accessible only to the MOK sound designers. You can to a limited extent access different envelopes through templates but you've got little control over them other than the basic shape. There is host automation available for the macros that the sound designers provide (but no MIDI learn unless you can map MIDI to automation in your host).

At some point, the synth is meant to be updated to include the controls you'd expect - but it hasn't happened yet.

Yep final version release should be here ... I am a litle bit affraid because the piece of synth we actually have is good but totaly unusable...

If it is totally unusable then it can't possibly be good, just frustrating or downright annoying.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Gamma-UT wrote:
BONES wrote:Can someone confirm something for me, please? I've watched a couple of videos of this thing and it seems to be lacking any kind of modulation ability. I can't see any envelopes or LFO on it anywhere, which means all you get is a single tone that goes on forever. Is that right? Seems like a complete waste of time if that's how it is.
The envelopes and LFOs are currently buried and directly accessible only to the MOK sound designers.
They did the same stupid thing with Biotek, what on Earth makes them think anyone really interested in 'cutting edge synthesis' is going to then be interested in something so limited?

It's not "totally unusable" but it's a ridiculous compromise. It doesn't really need a lot of modulation since there's a crapton of movement going on in the thing, but to have no control even over the basic volume envelope is absurd.

I still think they should have released this as a Eurorack oscillator module -- just concentrate on the new tech, and make that as accessible as possible. For instance, a switch to lock it into clean ratios, or to allow access to the vast wastelands of screaming grinding hell in between those sweet spots. As it is, the clean stuff is hard to dial in and that limits its scope even if all the normal synth features weren't missing.
aMUSEd wrote:what on Earth makes them think anyone really interested in 'cutting edge synthesis' is going to then be interested in something so limited?
I was interested. I still think it has potential, but at this point I think it's going to take another company to make good use of it. Which probably means it won't happen.

Planned release of full version in the autumn, apparently:

'Thanks for asking and breaking up the quiet here! The next update, v1.0.3 is primarily intended to support AAX and v1.0.4 after that is planned to support Linux. There are a few choice improvements that are getting lumped into those updates along with some really great Preset sound additions Taiho has been doing. I do have some early prototypes running now on AAX and on Linux, but my progress in getting the kinks worked out has been slower than hoped. Largely, this past month I have been really busy with my regular day-job (coding MIDI/Audio things on some exciting non-MOK projects)...

In any case, there is NO worry about this getting trashed... Waverazor is a result of our love for synthesis, no way at all we're gonna abandon that!
answered Jul 12 by rob (4,670 points)

Indeed, we are in this for the long haul. Sorry for the lack of communication lately! I've had my head down, buried in GUI design work for the editor version, which is currently planned for a Fall release, by the way. I know I said "April" at NAMM 2017, but I definitely underestimated the amount of work we could reasonably accomplish. Hopefully, I'm in the ballpark this time! Seriously, I can't wait to share the full sound editor with everyone because I know people are going to make some really incredible and surprising sounds. I love it when that happens...

Anyway, thanks for checking in with us. Feel free to do so anytime and we'll keep you posted on how things are going.

All the best,
Taiho
commented Jul 13 by taiho'

https://shrine.mok.com/index.php?qa=320 ... -we-expect

FYI
New Patches with Envelope Controls and Various Filter Settings Available

https://shrine.mok.com/index.php?qa=327 ... -available

What is the status of this bad boy?

dandezebra wrote:What is the status of this bad boy?
From Facebook :
Taiho Yamada “...unfortunately we ran into some delays over the summer, so we're running quite late on our editor version update. Currently, I'm expecting our release to be approximately in January... I'm sorry I've been really bad at estimating the schedule this year!
...At any rate, when we get more of the editor graphics locked down in the coming months, I'll start sharing some pics of our progress. It's absolutely our number one priority at this point. Thanks for asking about Waverazor, and feel free to check in with us again at any time!”

12 October

Taiho posted 4 days ago that's it's 3 months away (which would be January): https://shrine.mok.com/index.php?qa=345 ... sappointed

It was clear from the demo anyone buying it is an early adopter for half price as seed money for a Kickstarter of sorts for a brand-new synthesis engine (and cross-platform, too). It's a deal if you believe in funding that sort of thing. If you do, check out what Airwindows is doing.

I bought Biotek under the same process (and it helped that I believe in Tracktion which backed it) and was greatly rewarded. Biotek is a modulation powerhouse of a synth. From initial release (12/26/15) to full editor (8/23/16), just under 8 months. With many updates and new content after that. But I understand people's frustration and fears especially if you don't have that experience.

We're reaching 6 months with Waverazor. January would be 9.

I was originally sticking up for this synth because I saw the potential in the synthesis method. But I've kind of passed beyond that into not really caring that much. After the first few weeks I have used it very little

I think the lack of editable volume envelopes and so on until a future update is a silly omission, and it's weird they couldn't crank something out for it in the meantime. But that's not even the biggest flaw. The biggest is the difficulty of bringing it under control and getting those nice sweet spots between oceans of inharmonic mess. That strikes me as a fundamental problem that probably should have been solved before anything was released.

37.50 US right now on the Tracktion site. The editor update is supposed to be coming in Jan/Feb. Not sure if it's worth betting the 37.50 and hoping it matures.

Return to “Instruments”