Linux interest

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If your preferred daw and plugins were available on linux, would you be interested in trying it as an os?

Writing this from Mint Cinnamon. :tu:

There's hardware side too, not just software...
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Sure, why not? But I'm afraid I already locked myself in with buying licenses for several Windows programs (non audio related), DAWS and plugins. It would be a shame to just ditch them all and start all over again. Well, perhaps in a few years.. I'm still on Windows 7 and not interested in upgrading to Windows 10.
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Nielzie wrote:None are so hopeless enslaved as KVRians with GAS.
:lol:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

I would use Linux...

if it was as good as Windows. ;)

If my daw and audio editor, my plugins (at least most of them... those I really care) and my hardware (audio and midi interfaces... and editors for some hardware) were supported, I would try it for studio use and I'd probably switch. I'd keep my Macs for "legacy" software, but my main daw would be a Linux desktop.

But it really must work straight out of the box (well... almost) because I don't want to spend my free time doing computer work instead of making music (I write software for a living, so I need to do something else than dealing with computer issues even in my spare time) and it must support my hardware.

I really hope Linux would grow soon and fast as a viable option for audio. I don't like Windows, that's a given, but I'm very afraid especially of that "compulsive update" route started with Windows 10 (while I think updates are really important, I want to have full control on when to download and install them). And, at the same time, I'm afraid of the route Apple could take in the next years (storage memory soldered to the mainboard, so it's next to impossible to upgrade/service? or another platform migration, this time to ARM architecture?).

I think there's a big need for an alternative.
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

sin night wrote:I think there's a big need for an alternative.
Totally agree! :tu:

That would be a NO, been there, done that, brought a T-shirt (literally) never again, never again want to be sucked into that mind set. I'll stay where I am, and use whatever hardware, programs, plugins I want, not have it dictated to me (to that degree) again by the OS, or have to use those novel, quaint little feature poor, buggy replacement options for things that are far better in Windows. I'd rather enjoy using my computer, and actually use it for things other than surfing and Email etc, rather than forever trying to fix things and going through endless setups trying to make things work, that in Windows is just double click and enjoy. I'd rather use an OS that is actually supported by the majority of Hardware and Software manufacturers than have to just pick up the scraps that are tossed my way.

Is Winblows perfect? no, but it's a lot closer than Linsux
chk071 wrote:I would use Linux...

if it was as good as Windows. ;)
Plus infinity :clap:
Say NO to CLAP!

Yep, I would

I wish Linux was a real alternative regarding audio stuff. I can't stand Mac OS and Windows 10, very narrow minded and invasive Os's.
Right now I use Windows only for Audio stuff (for everything else I work on Linux)

hard to imagine something more uninterestingly time-consuming just to do a thing than setting up linux for a DAW situation. I do music

For msyelf, there are a number of benefits to using linux as a daw os.

It's open source, which means that any inclined invidual or team can dig in and start shaping things to their liking. That can't be done with a proprietary os. And since the os is the foundation for everything, other than the hardware, it is a very important component of the overall system. As an invidual regular user, I appreciate the transparency of linux, even if I don't go deepdiving into the guts. At any point where I might have an interest in getting a better idea of how things work with linux, I can find out because it is open source.

Linux isn't controlled by any one company. And that is a big deal to me. Users and developers are free to shape it and influence it's development, as is evident by the many distributions of linux. And whether any one company likes it or not, linux is a cooperative effort by design. A big pro of linux for me is that the dominating wishes of a single company aren't being shoved down my throat, such as privacy invasion. When a company starts to creep into that kind of territory, such as Ubuntu did, users and developers actually have the power to check it. Where with windows, you are just stuck with whatever Microsoft sees fit to push on you, with linux you can hop to a similar distro which fits your ethics and needs without much pain.

As an os and a computing environment, linux has loads of command line tools which are useful for all sort of users. I feared using the command line until I started using it. I am definitely no grey beard guru at it, but there really isn't anything to fear about it. You learn to use it the same as any other tools, through time and effort.

As a daw os, linux has support for many audio devices through ALSA, without having to rely on manufacturers for drivers. And ALSA supports many very old devices as well, which indicates that current devices will continue working for a very long time. There is also Jack, which acts as a system audio patchbay. Every os should have something like this, but linux has it right now. And there are session managers for saving and recalling complex setups, which every os should also have, in my opinion. And Jack and session managers allow for applications to work together, where for other paradigms, audio applications don't really work together.

Sure, there are some cons to using linux, too. First is getting comfortable with using a different os. Do you remember what it was like when you first used a computer? It wasn't easy. And there is some aspect of that when switching your os, but it isn't nearly as difficult as starting from scratch. And command line tools are used heavily with linux, which requires users to at least get somewhat familiar with a command line. And there are applications used on linux which have been developed by amateurs and which are under-developed. But keep in mind, that these applications aren't the os. And as more devlopers port applications from other os's to linux and develop new ones, these amateur applications will fade from prominence for the majority of users.

Let's talk strictly audio here, I wouldn't use anything than Mint for my personal computing, but audio, well, I don't care really, would use anything that gives me best experience for it, what are you saying have really less thing to do with audio, but more with other stuff, which is fine for your desktop OS choice, but not your DAW.

I want support for my software and hardware from their vendors, proper fixes and drivers, goal is making music the easiest way possible without much limitations, right now, Linux isn't fitting that description.

Zexila wrote:I want support for my software and hardware from their vendors, proper fixes and drivers, goal is making music the easiest way possible without much limitations, right now, Linux isn't fitting that description.
That very much depends on you, what the important factors are for you, how you work, your hardware, and your software. For some people it makes perfect sense to allow audio applications to work together. For others, everything should be running within the same host application and if it doesn't, then that is that. For some people, only technical considerations are deciding factors, and for others, multiple factors must be considered, including privacy, ethics.

On a technical level, there are many audio devices supported by ALSA. http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Main And there are some good daws and plugins available on linux right now, more to come with time.

It's not a black and white issue. Every person must decide what is most important on a personal level.

sellyoursoul wrote:Every person must decide what is most important on a personal level.
Exactly, plenty folks around here find their music making experience most important, so Linux, Windows or OS X, whatever works the best for it. :tu:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”