Studio One 3.5 Released.

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

This seems like an excellent update. If CPU usage is as good as indicated and stability is good I'll probably convert from Cubase to SO. Im sure this will attract many more users to. Presonus had to finally do something about CPU usage because users were population the top of the feature requests with CPU optimization requests. Nice to see that they have attention on the feature requests and the buzz in the forums/communities. But man, it took some time. Anyway, thumbs up! :tu:

jtrake wrote:This seems like an excellent update. If CPU usage is as good as indicated and stability is good I'll probably convert from Cubase to SO. Im sure this will attract many more users to. Presonus had to finally do something about CPU usage because users were population the top of the feature requests with CPU optimization requests. Nice to see that they have attention on the feature requests and the buzz in the forums/communities. But man, it took some time. Anyway, thumbs up! :tu:
I switched from Cubase 8 and have no regrets at all, particularly when we get awesome FREE .5 upgrades! I recon 60 new features and enhancements and the new fat channel (its seriously good) would have been a major paid release for most DAWS....

The CPU issue did take some time, but what they have achieved (for free) is pretty amazing, not just a quick fix or a knee jerk reaction, a total rewrite and something of a paradigm shift in low latency monitoring- they may have gone from 'jogging along at the back' to a sprint finish for the win!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Passive EQ sounds amazing and not to say that it uses really really low cpu power. Actually I like whole new Fat Channel XT, but Passive EQ got my attention on how good it sounds on kick/bass, dunno how a pultec should sound but this is really good, me like it! Let those low freq be free!

It's seems like there is a demo reset too for those interested in trying, I demoed 3 and I have a demo for 3.5. I did a few tests and hasn't crashed yet, some strange behaviour though when scanning VST plugins, couldn't get past Softube vst 3 channel without crashing . Had to remove them from plugin folder to continue , also AD drums failed scan. Kept having to restart before it got there. Had a crash on opening linked to Fabfilter Proq 2 ?
That being said feels solid in operation and opened old v2 without issues. Good to see them back on track after what seemed like a continuous downward spiral, on Mac at least.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

I have a license for 3 but havnt been using it. Tried today and it crashes before even starting , crashes on the VST scan . It does not even bypass the plugin it just crashes . Tried taking the plugins out but it's doing it for a lot of them . Looks like they are using a different scan mechanism . Anyway I gave up , too much time wasted . I'll wait for a new version and try again .

If you're on Windows, try to start Studio One as administrator. Maybe you installed your plugins into user folders which require admin rights to write to.

SLiC wrote:
jtrake wrote:This seems like an excellent update. If CPU usage is as good as indicated and stability is good I'll probably convert from Cubase to SO. Im sure this will attract many more users to. Presonus had to finally do something about CPU usage because users were population the top of the feature requests with CPU optimization requests. Nice to see that they have attention on the feature requests and the buzz in the forums/communities. But man, it took some time. Anyway, thumbs up! :tu:
I switched from Cubase 8 and have no regrets at all, particularly when we get awesome FREE .5 upgrades! I recon 60 new features and enhancements and the new fat channel (its seriously good) would have been a major paid release for most DAWS....

The CPU issue did take some time, but what they have achieved (for free) is pretty amazing, not just a quick fix or a knee jerk reaction, a total rewrite and something of a paradigm shift in low latency monitoring- they may have gone from 'jogging along at the back' to a sprint finish for the win!

Seems almost to good to be true. If this works out well I'll abandon Cubase. So tired of their "on the rail" paid updates.
This SO update would for sure have been a paid upgrade if it was for Cubase. They would have probably even released undo and low latency optimization in two separate paid upgrades.
I like Cubase but well.. as already mentioned.
Will dig in to this 3.5 update and have high hopes to be able to finally start using the DAW with the best workflow! :) :tu:

popskull wrote:I have a license for 3 but havnt been using it. Tried today and it crashes before even starting , crashes on the VST scan . It does not even bypass the plugin it just crashes . Tried taking the plugins out but it's doing it for a lot of them . Looks like they are using a different scan mechanism . Anyway I gave up , too much time wasted . I'll wait for a new version and try again .
I know it is a bit annoying when you have plenty of plugins which are not up to the standard or never been updated. on mac I have installed GVst collection and they failed several times so I have to restart studio one several times and every time it does, it was replacing them on blacklist those which they crash Studio one. From my understanding Studio one doesn't like to collect junk. junk in a standard way. Not as a plugin. The plugin might be useful and great but the code maybe not that much. It does on me and I understand the frustration but that is only for crappy plugins which I haven't paid a dime. Again crappy as a code not usability. I'm saying this cause I use free stuff when I need them and they are worth buying.

I see most here that experience crashes relate it to VST's.....Funny thing is I am trying to use the free version which is not VST enabled so it does no scan and it crashes when I start a project. As soon as I try to load one of the included instruments BAM lights out!! I'm on Win 10 and I get similar crashes with the Edge browser. I have to use Chrome or the old IE to surf the net. I think some DAWs access the internet (other Apps do too) if they try to use Edge as the default browser they crash on my machine. Anyone else have the Edge problem? It may have a connection to Studio One's problems.

Hi,

Studio One Pro 3.5 is a wonderful update :tu:

Thanks Presonus :clap:

I notice that the Performance Meter in Studio One Pro 3.5 usually indicates a higher CPU usage than what the what my Windows Resource Monitor is showing.

i.e. The Presonus Performance meter will show 15% CPU usage, where as the Windows Resource Monitor shows 8% (big difference) !

So, I'm not using the Presonus Perf. Meter as a realistic indicator of CPU usage on my system. You might want to check on this, and compare the two readings. They are very different.

I wonder if Presonus can fix their Performance meter reading, to more accurately reflect the actual readings I get when checking the Windows Resource CPU meter reading.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

is CPU performance and DSP performance are the same?

Karma_tba wrote:I see most here that experience crashes relate it to VST's.....Funny thing is I am trying to use the free version which is not VST enabled so it does no scan and it crashes when I start a project. As soon as I try to load one of the included instruments BAM lights out!! I'm on Win 10 and I get similar crashes with the Edge browser. I have to use Chrome or the old IE to surf the net. I think some DAWs access the internet (other Apps do too) if they try to use Edge as the default browser they crash on my machine. Anyone else have the Edge problem? It may have a connection to Studio One's problems.
I was a pro PC and network tech for many years - the first thing I'd do is have my RAM error checked. If the RAM is fine, then deep malware/spyware/virus scans in "Safe Mode".
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite | Facebook

Muziksculp wrote:i.e. The Presonus Performance meter will show 15% CPU usage, where as the Windows Resource Monitor shows 8% (big difference) !
I think they are showing the CPU usage of the busiest core, perhaps. Something to that extent.

I've come to learn not to rely to CPU readouts in any DAW. Just use your OS monitoring as that's the most correct figure you'll ever get. In W8 and above with separate graphs per core, even (which is even more useful).

For those using Windows 10, and trying Studio One for the first time, or are existing users having trouble with plug-in scanning:
Try using compatibility mode. Right click on the S1 icon (or exe) and choose Windows 8 mode under the compatibility tab. It's also a good idea to run "As Administrator" as well. Once the VST scanning is completed, you can return to normal application launch. Hope this helps . . . ;)
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite | Facebook

EvilDragon wrote:
Muziksculp wrote:i.e. The Presonus Performance meter will show 15% CPU usage, where as the Windows Resource Monitor shows 8% (big difference) !
I think they are showing the CPU usage of the busiest core, perhaps. Something to that extent.

I've come to learn not to rely to CPU readouts in any DAW. Just use your OS monitoring as that's the most correct figure you'll ever get. In W8 and above with separate graphs per core, even (which is even more useful).
Hi EvilDragon,

If the Studio One Performance meter is showing the activity of the busiest core, that is surely not an accurate reflection of the performance of a multi-core system. So, yes, I'm using the Windows 8 Performance monitor, which shows the graphs showing the load on each core in real time, and the overall accurate CPU usage.

It will make sense if Presonus can improve their Performance Meters reporting criteria. It surely will be in their favor :wink:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”