Behringer UFX1604 - audio routing issues

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
I just bought a Behringer UFX1604 to replace my old Mackie onyx 820i (I wanted a firewire one, and this provided that). I'm having, however, some trouble getting audio routed like I want it. This is probably because I'm not 100% certain what buttons do what, and as I am blind I can't look at it to see what the buttons do. Hopefully someone here has a similar/same mixer and/or can look at the guide and tell me what to do.
First of all, I need to be able to listen to channels 9/10 and 11/12 through my headphones, but not through the main outs. I figure I can press the alt3/4 and then route alt 3/4 to my headphones. However, when I press (what I think is the alt3/4 button on the headphones section -- the second button from the top of the routing section farthest to the right), it doesn't change anything. However, when I turn up the master fader and then a bit of the phones knob, I *do* get the output. This even happens when no buttons are pressed on the phones section, so I think I'm pressing the wrong button for those channels. I'm pressing the button right above the volume fader for the channel. I *thought* this was solo, so possibly that's why I'm hearing it. However, when I press the button above that (which I think is mute/alt3/4, and then press any or all buttons on the phones routing section), I get no output.
Secondly, I can't seem to listen to the main mix through my headphones. Again, pressing any/all buttons on phones routing sections doesn't give any output. I'm having my DAW output through firewire output 1/2, so I'm pretty sure I need to press the third button down in the phones section, but as mentioned that doesn't do anything.
Thanks for any help,
-Michael.

Hi,

I don't have experience with this specific mixer, but let's see whether I can shed some light on your issues.

The button right above the channel faders is Solo, and above that is Mute which doubles as Alt3/4.

The Alt3/4 bus has it's own volume knob. Maybe this is currently turned down. This is located a bit left & above the master volume fader. You'll find two knobs there: the top is for Alt3/4, the bottom is the TalkBack volume knob (with a weird mic socket at its left) Located left from the Alt3/4 volume knob are two buttons labelled Solo and Mute (same order as on channels: top = Mute, bottom = Solo)

Further upwards in the Master section on the right you'll find two vertical rows of four knobs. These are the aux send & returns.

The next block upwards consists of (from right to left) two led bars which is the VU meter, a vertical row of four buttons that control the sources that go to the Main mix and a vertical row of five buttons that control the sources for the Control Room & Headphones outputs. Both these button rows have a volume knob underneath.

The phones volume knob is located above & slightly right from the Send knobs, and directly at its left is the Control Room volume knob. The extra source button on the Control Room / Phones row at the top switches the Main Mix on & off. I guess you have that switched off currently.

The other buttons in this section are from to to bottom:
* CD - Tape
* Alt3/4 (I guess this is the one you were looking for)
* FW 1/2
* FW 3/4

So if you take the third counted from the bottom, that's Alt3/4. Press it on the left to receive it on headphones, keep it depressed on the right so it won't go to the main mix.

I hope that helps... Good luck!
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Hey,
Thanks a ton! That was so helpful :-). Yep, now I've got it working on alt3/4 :D
Once again, thanks a ton for helping look over the pictures (I would get my parents to look, but unfortunately my mom isn't tech savvy at all, so it's hard for her to describe it to me, and my dad doesn't understand music gear very well either, even if he is a bit more tech savvy than my mom).
-Michael.

No problem, glad I could help you out. If there's anything else, just let it know and we'll be here for you, ok?

Hey,
Actually I'm running in to another issue (due to my lack of knowledge with the mixer):
First off, my end goal is to listen to channels 9/10 and 11/12 with their own volume controls, and volume controls for both of them at the same time. This should be routable to both the headphones/control room, and the main mix /main out. Also, I should be able to listen to the 1/2 out of my firewire connected computer, but -- and this is the key -- not always send this to speakers.

So far this is what I have:

alt 3/4/mute is pressed on 9/10 and 11/12, thus allowing me to control them individually and with the alt 3/4 gain/volume control. It also allows me to be able to send them either to phones, main mix, or both. I also have the phones/control room set to listen to alt 3/4 and firewire 1/2. This checks all boxes on the headphones/control room side, but the problem is that, in this setup, the gain/volume knob on the main mix side, *not* the phone side, seems to control the headphones volume. Turning it makes my output of 9/10, 11/12, and main mix *all* turn up and down, but turning the knob under the phones section does *absolutely* nothing. I can have it fully maxed, or 100% at 0, and there is still the same amount of output coming out of my headphones.
Now, however, if I try a separate approach, and press the main mix button and the alt 3/4, but *not* the firewire 1/2 button on the headphones side, then the knobs *seem* to control the proper outputs, but if I press the firewire 1/2 and depress the main mix, then the volume becomes *much* louder, apparently because I had to turn up the main mix to hear it louder with the main mix button pressed.
Any tips?
-Michael.

I'd love to help, but alas can't. Behringer only published a Quick Start Guide and this lacks a full block diagram that should reveal the nescessary details.

Ah. Thanks anyway :-). Perhaps I can try contacting them to see what they might have to offer in regards help :-).

-Michael.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”