Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Diva Mini V4 Minimonsta Monark The Legend

:hyper:

Very nice Urs. Please do it. :)

chk071 wrote::hyper:

Very nice Urs. Please do it. :)
:cry: Please...nooo! i would rather like to see the latest analog component modeling combined in a Diva 2 with a modulation matrix like Dune 2.
Of course if U-he could add OSC´s as modulation source for all Zebra 3 destinations i would be in heaven. But i know it might be better to market several emulations instead of a slightly more expensive synth which can do it all. That´s the bad part if a company grow. Often it looks more like a marketing decision rather than the pure love of creating a unique new synth.
I hope that doesn´t came out too harsh since i´m a U-he fan and will be for a long time.
I know it was said several times already but i have to repeat that i could live with all the emulations better if they all would get an extended modulation matrix with at least 8 slots (and most important the OSC´s as modulation sources).
I can dream.......

chk071 wrote:Please do it.
Cinebient wrote:Please...nooo!
Yeah, I feel the exact same way as both of you, all the time, every day.

Want, can't, when, instead, of, what.

Urs are you dreaming or...let's see...its Repro-5 next month, the Cat by November, Zebra3 @ Superbooth 2018 and SEM by June next year. Perfect! :tu:
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

Cinebient wrote:But i know it might be better to market several emulations instead of a slightly more expensive synth which can do it all. That´s the bad part if a company grow. Often it looks more like a marketing decision rather than the pure love of creating a unique new synth.
Frankly, i would personally favour a dedicated emulation, than to integrate it into something i might not use to full extent. And, IIRC, Urs also stated that they have to release new stuff to keep the ball running, so, why not? I probably would buy this in an instant, when it'd be released. Just my opinion.

chk071 wrote:
Cinebient wrote:But i know it might be better to market several emulations instead of a slightly more expensive synth which can do it all. That´s the bad part if a company grow. Often it looks more like a marketing decision rather than the pure love of creating a unique new synth.
Frankly, i would personally favour a dedicated emulation, than to integrate it into something i might not use to full extent. And, IIRC, Urs also stated that they have to release new stuff to keep the ball running, so, why not? I probably would buy this in an instant, when it'd be released. Just my opinion.
I know and understand that. But that is what i meant that while companies grow they have to release stuff regulary to feed their employees and makes the "crowd" happy.
But also things can get lost. I would much prefer to pay a lot more for one synth which could emulate all these vintage synths but also could combine their different filters, envelopes and more to experiment with.....like a few independent developers have/will done/do.
So i still wait for that mystical Berlin Modular :D (i know that will not happen in my lifetime).

Urs wrote:
chk071 wrote:Please do it.
Cinebient wrote:Please...nooo!
Yeah, I feel the exact same way as both of you, all the time, every day.

Want, can't, when, instead, of, what.
Here is question: how much more CPU would you like you have than what is currently available? Would something like what the Bricasti guys are doing, having 16 ASICs for just one plugin - ok bit of software that they run on the platform, would that be helpful?

nevernamed wrote:Here is question: how much more CPU would you like you have than what is currently available? Would something like what the Bricasti guys are doing, having 16 ASICs for just one plugin - ok bit of software that they run on the platform, would that be helpful?
I would not need to care much about CPU if people weren't chanting "poly! poly! poly!" all over an emulation of a classic mono synth :tantrum:

As for the M7, I love it - it is the best algorithmic reverb I know -, but I don't think its quality needs that much computing power. Funny enough, I just worked on a processing concept for the Zebra3 reverb which uses a trick to get a lot more processing out of the CPU without sacrificing quality.

Urs wrote:
nevernamed wrote:Here is question: how much more CPU would you like you have than what is currently available? Would something like what the Bricasti guys are doing, having 16 ASICs for just one plugin - ok bit of software that they run on the platform, would that be helpful?
I would not need to care much about CPU if people weren't chanting "poly! poly! poly!" all over an emulation of a classic mono synth :tantrum:
:D

Since FL Studio 12.5 (beta), their patcher is a multithreaded capable beast. I've loaded my 6 voice Repro-1-thingy in there and it only uses 14% (core i7, 4790K) with HQ mode on (all 6 voices playing at the same time). Without the multithreading, it was around 50%. So it is possible for sure.

Although it is a classic monophonic emulation (point taken), i love the 6 voice possibilty :D
Last edited by exmatproton on Fri May 26, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

As for black box stuff - pretty much everything in Diva was black box analysis. We're pretty used to it and we developed a plethora of tests that tells us a lot about the inner workings of any analogue filter/osc/env IC. Sticking an oscilloscopes etc. into the CEM-based stuff was essential due to the extreme CV levels, but it's not as necessary for "safe" designs which are catering for sweet spots.

Urs wrote:

As for the M7, I love it - it is the best algorithmic reverb I know -, but I don't think its quality needs that much computing power. Funny enough, I just worked on a processing concept for the Zebra3 reverb which uses a trick to get a lot more processing out of the CPU without sacrificing quality.
Mono, Poly, then MPE :D
I really love some mono synths like Repro-1 and Dagger and you already explained why it´s not easy to make a poly switch without loosing the "magic" behinds a real mono optimized synth.
Most patches i create with a mono synths sounds like a terrible mess when i use them poly.
(but playing a mono synth polyphonic via a Seaboard or an app like Polymer is great).
But you know whatever mono synth you will do.....how it ends :D
About cpu. I don´t know. I just use mainly my macbook with an old i7 quadcore and i can run a lot of Repro-1 or Dagger, Dune 2 and several B2 reverbs (my favorite algo reverb) etc.
I also can run some similar impressive sounding synths on my freaking smartphone, so i think it´s also a matter of optimzed software.
I´m also more in the boat of running 1-2 instances and bounce it if it´s worth the sound rather than wanting 50 instances running in realtime before rendering.
You also don´t need always just the best sound quality, filters etc. to achieve great and unique sounds.
I know, no one will hear it but you can do sometimes better things with an simple app like with a 10-20 times more expensive cpu and RAM demanding super hybrid synth.
However, we live in great times where we can get some great tools most people (me included) couldn´t had bought in the past because it costs more than a car.
The bad side is these things will lost more and more value (like music itself due to all the streaming) since people getting use to get all kind of things and software for a few bucks or even free, like they don´t think about how there water or electricity comes from.
Maybe Google create a next generation real A.I. synth in some years :D

Urs wrote:

Ok so more efficient code would be preferable over more CPU? Or balance perhaps of both?

I suppose you're guessing about the M7's hardware requirements? (16 ASICs is a lot.) But there isn't much in software that is like it.

Urs wrote: As for the M7, I love it - it is the best algorithmic reverb I know -, but I don't think its quality needs that much computing power. Funny enough, I just worked on a processing concept for the Zebra3 reverb which uses a trick to get a lot more processing out of the CPU without sacrificing quality.
These little teaser posts about Z3 make me anticipate it even more...
Feel free to call me Brian.

bmrzycki wrote:
Urs wrote: As for the M7, I love it - it is the best algorithmic reverb I know -, but I don't think its quality needs that much computing power. Funny enough, I just worked on a processing concept for the Zebra3 reverb which uses a trick to get a lot more processing out of the CPU without sacrificing quality.
These little teaser posts about Z3 make me anticipate it even more...
Indeed.....i´m just scared this "unicorn" will never be released.
Did i read something about superbooth 2018? A year?
If i could bet i say 2-3 years.
I hope it is worth the wait (for sure since i own Zebra HZ and get it for free).
But if that helps U-he i will buy a few follow emulations. Mono or poly, whatever.
I think what they do is quality and i wish them a great future.
There are just 3 brands from which i will buy maybe any synth...U-he, Synapse Audio and PulsarModular (maybe i could add Beepstreet if he would release his new child not iOS only).
I totally forgot about the topic:
So i was not very interested in the Minimoog emulation and demoed most of them.
But now i think i will also buy The Legend soon since it seems to be the clostest and i like the extras like the poly, unison mode and a FX version. So i could play Dune 2 trough the Minimoog filter. Oh, oh.....G.A.S. incoming again.....gone for a beer......

Cinebient wrote:
chk071 wrote:
I know and understand that. But that is what i meant that while companies grow they have to release stuff regulary to feed their employees and makes the "crowd" happy.
But also things can get lost. I would much prefer to pay a lot more for one synth which could emulate all these vintage synths but also could combine their different filters, envelopes and more to experiment with.....like a few independent developers have/will done/do.
So i still wait for that mystical Berlin Modular :D (i know that will not happen in my lifetime).
Also don't forget, Urs has said that he is 'training' his team how to create synths (don't think it was worded quite like that but same difference) so in time progress may be quicker.
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

Return to “Instruments”