Edit: Let's revive the analog vs. digital debate once and for all

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

V0RT3X wrote::shrug: Some ppl just make music with this stuff too
That is incorrect.
It is clearly something done for sexual pleasure.
The first question everyone asks about a hardware synth is "how do the knobs feel?"

You know what would kill the whole debate? If developers spent time with all the most common controllers and mapped all their software to them with the idea that you would be able to effortlessly control all parameters with the standard 8 knobs and 8 buttons.
The problem with software IMO isn't the sound, it sounds great, it just requires too much mousing to get a sound compared to hardware <--(obviously).

I look at the Xpander and it really hits you how well thought out the controller is, it's not too much work to call up the way more than 128 parameters available to you, so it's obvious to me that you could do it, but everyone is going in for their own game, and it's mostly 8 parameters mapped to 8 knobs to tweak an existing sound. You could as a developer very obviously map out a soft synth to facilitate menu diving in 8 mapped knobs so that say the 8 buttons represented the main parts then in that part the buttons called up sub parameters etc. For an end user this is a lot of work, and maybe impossible since you wouldn't be able to assign the same GUI knob to to scroll through submenus etc.

I mean it's possible to at the factory map soft synths to a controller for total menu diving with the ease of working with and Xpander, I've never know why some developer didn't team up with a good controller company and just do it.

Beyond that there is no debate IMO, both have their advantages and disadvantages, why settle for either if you don't have to?

Let's Bury The Hatchet

Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

V0RT3X wrote::shrug: Some ppl just make music with this stuff too
Hey how dare you make sense in this type of thread? :lol: :D

I have changed my mind. Let's revive the analog-digital debate once and for all. This to support Urs. That is a noble cause.

Besides, if you are into emulations, as dev or customer, you have aleady accepted the premise that analog initially sounds better than digital and has to be emulated, so what is there to discuss anyway? *

* :troll:

Digital emulations will NEVER be 100% accurate. Close, but not 100%.

99% is good enough for some ppl, not for others.

Some ppl dont care, a lot of ppl havent a clue what they are talking about.

Digital stuff that isnt an emulation doesnt enter into the argument.

All analog isnt great, i had some really crap stuff over the years.

Does that cover everything?

IncarnateX wrote:I
Besides, if you are into emulations, as dev or customer, you have aleady accepted the premise that analog initially sounds better than digital and has to be emulated, so what is there to discuss anyway?
What if a million ppl want a CS80, they didnt make a million. Price comes into it too.

What if you have a sore back and are unable to carry your hardware synth?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

AnX wrote:Digital emulations will NEVER be 100% accurate. Close, but not 100%.
Agree. If something sounds better than the real deal, it can't be 100% accurate.

Urs wrote:
AnX wrote:Digital emulations will NEVER be 100% accurate. Close, but not 100%.
Agree. If something sounds better than the real deal, it can't be 100% accurate.
:lol:

I just wanted to pop in and express my suprise, that you changed the senseless title. Now it's far better. :clap:

I have reconsidered again. Behringer is obvioisly going to overflow the market with several version of Deepmind and further with budget copies of classics like Minimoog. So do you still think there is any future for analog emulations? The answer is of course yes if you work with software only but what about Roland's boutigues, will such a concept survive? And since analog synths still will become more and more affordable (apart from the rediculously priced classics at ebay) will the analog hysteria cease and thus the interest?

Will analog emulations be relevant to a few elitist sound designers only who never intented using their synths for other than listening to musically insignificant variations of way outdated patches like a "Prophet brass" and "JP 8 strings"?

Personally I like analog style sounds too, but frankly I can reproduce those to a musically satisfactory result on plain romplers or a VAs, sometimes to a more satisfactory result if I made them on my minilogue.

So are we getting close to the end of the emulation era in favor of the real things and more intelligent approaches to music making?
Last edited by IncarnateX on Sun May 28, 2017 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beating a dead horse to death, until it dies, and kills over, which is fatal, and causes it to cease living, which means it's no more, because it's not living.

I'd like to introduce you all to a place we have in Utah. It's called Dead Horse Point.

Does "I don't give a rats-ass anymore" count?

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”