Need help with velocity curve for Roli Blocks, on iPad

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm trying to change the MIDI velocity curve of my Roli Lightpad Block (MPE controller) to make it more sensitive with the Roli Noise app. I tried downloading Midibridge, routing the Lightpad input to the Noise outputs, and setting a constant velocity of 127 on the input and all of the 3 Noise app outputs, but it seems to have no effect.

What am I doing wrong?

I don't know what you're doing wrong, but I agree the blocks need way too much pressure.
Instant human just add coffee

the blocks need way too much pressure
Pressure or velocity?

Velocity = how sensitive it is to trigger the note
Pressure = continuous pressure modulation after you trigger the note.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

I mean pressure in the conventional English sense

I.e. You have to press very hard.
Instant human just add coffee

Well, I had to ask what you meant because the OP talks about velocity but you moved the subject to 'pressure'.

How 'pressure' behaves in NOISE is all depended on each individual sound. Some sounds are tuned to be very pressure sensitive, others have pressure set to a deeper exponential curve to prevent modulation being triggered too easily. The actual BLOCKS hardware (silicon and sensors) are very sensitive but this sensitivity is often too much for certain sounds, so appropriate settings are used in software to tune each sound to (hopefully) an optimal response.

himalaya wrote:Well, I had to ask what you meant because the OP talks about velocity but you moved the subject to 'pressure'.

How 'pressure' behaves in NOISE is all depended on each individual sound. Some sounds are tuned to be very pressure sensitive, others have pressure set to a deeper exponential curve to prevent modulation being triggered too easily. The actual BLOCKS hardware (silicon and sensors) are very sensitive but this sensitivity is often too much for certain sounds, so appropriate settings are used in software to tune each sound to (hopefully) an optimal response.
I'm not sure if my issue is with the velocity or pressure, but from my playing with it, it seems like velocity is the issue.

I've noticed that some sounds in Noise are much more velocity or pressure sensitive, so yeah, the hardware is definitely capable.

But how can I actually apply a scaling or curve of the velocity or pressure on my iPad? At least one person has said they've done it with a MIDI plugin, but I'm still trying to figure out how they did it.

Their software is really annoying buggy....On my Seaboard Rise as well.
After months and saying they will work on it and whatever, nothing happens.
I will never buy anything again from them.
Hope i can soon replace the Seaboard with an iPad with 3D touch (not sure if that ever comes to iPads).
I also tryed the blocks and it´s still a big marketing blob for me rather than a good optimized hard- and software.
They just want to make money and seems not care much about software issues and missing features.
I hope there will be more competition since i´m not sure to trust them anymore also for future products.
I mean the support is super nice and will help but that dooesn´t change the problems i have with my (already once replaced) Seaboard with their own software. Dashboard and my Rise don´t like eachother. Settings getting not saved most of the time. The Equator synth is full of bugs too when i use it together with my Rise.
But since they anyway don´t care much about the Rise and focus on blocks i had hoped they will do it better there.
I love this company but it´s gone a worse way.
This is of course just my experience but i couldn´t recommend their tools anymore.
For many others all seems fine.

Their software is really annoying buggy....On my Seaboard Rise as well.
Hope i can soon replace the Seaboard with an iPad with 3D touch (not sure if that ever comes to iPads).
I also tryed the blocks and it´s still a big marketing blob for me rather than a good optimized hard- and software.
They just want to make money and seems not care much about software issues and missing features.
I hope there will be more competition since i´m not sure to trust them anymore also for future products.
I mean the support is super nice and will help but that dooesn´t change the problems i have with my (already once replaced) Seaboard with their own software. Dashboard and my Rise don´t like eachother. Settings getting not saved most of the time. The Equator synth is full of bugs too when i use it together with my Rise.
But since they anyway don´t care much about the Rise and focus on blocks i had hoped they will do it better there.
I loved this company but it´s gone a worse way.
This is of course just my experience but i couldn´t recommend their tools anymore.

What bugs have you noticed in Equator?

himalaya wrote:What bugs have you noticed in Equator?
The same as in Dashboard. Sometimes settings don't getting saved and/or if i switch trough presets the Rise sliders show other values as Equator.
Next is that often if i change the value to zero (from the glide f.e.) it shows zero on my rise (the single led is in the middle) but in Equator i see i still have a small value from 1-3 or so. The same with aftertouch and the other sliders. I need to slide up and down several times until i really get zero. No way for a live performance/recording.
I already contacted support months ago, send them videos and they wanted to investigate....lol.
They even send me a file to manually update and whatever but it doesn't solve it.
All i get now is annoying blocks promotion :D
The good thing is that this seems to happen only with their own software.
Since the beginning there are ongoing problems for me, especially with their software.
But i gave up that they can solve this.
I tryed to sell my Seaboard Rise 25 but no one will buy it. Even for the half.
So i regret the buy a bit. I really love the hardware itself and the tactile feedback combined with a touch surface but in the meantime i have iOS apps which works much better for slide, glide and pressure (still get these quantized steppy sound).
For velocity/velocity release the Rise is still better. But that could change too in the future.
So i anyway use it mostly just as normal keyboard.
There are too many limitations to customize the software and a few other things.
Roli is not a thing for me to look in the future anymore while i was very amazed at the beginning. They are like Apple.

Cinebient wrote:Their software is really annoying buggy....On my Seaboard Rise as well.
I loved this company but it´s gone a worse way.
I've played with the Rise and Equator in the store... and it was clearly buggy.

So I purchased the Linnstrument 128. 4 Octaves and easily fits in a backpack.

It just works as expected. Very expressive and playable. It does not need any dashboard type app. All settings are configured on the Linnstrument itself (brilliant really). I did not need a manual to figure out the essential stuff within a few minutes. Also, does not need a computer at all. Can be plugged right into a hardware synth as it has midi ports as well as usb.

I've been so occupied marveling at how amazing Bazille is with the per note X/Y/Z control (and making a bunch of presets) that I have not yet touched the more complex functions like arpeggiator and step sequencer modes. There are also options like a strum mode where you can hold some notes with one hand and strum them with the other hand like a guitar. Haven't tried that yet either.

Of the stuff I have tried, I have not encountered a single issue or problem with the Linnstrument. It is exactly what it should be and is a solid mature product.

I have encountered some problems/bugs/limitations in Bitwig, but that is Bitwig, not the Linnstrument. In Logic, it does exactly what I expect. Basically, just plug and go.

The other thing I really like about the Linnstrument, is that Roger said that the construction is modular and he is not planning any sort of Linnstrument 2. If he makes any upgrades to the hardware, existing users will be able to also add those upgrades. No planned obsolescence. That really sold me.

Cinebient wrote:
The same as in Dashboard. Sometimes settings don't getting saved and/or if i switch trough presets the Rise sliders show other values as Equator.
This needs some elaboration as I don't think you have encountered a bug here.
If you are using the Equator plugin (that is, not the standalone version) you may need to remember that when you select a preset, the state of the RISE faders will not be updated. Imagine a scenario where you tweak the faders during play and set them all to the maximum level. Then you select another preset, which has the CC faders set to zero (you know that because maybe you have saved that preset with the faders set to zero on a previous occasion).
So now, going with what you wrote, you expect the new preset with the faders saved at zero, reset the hardware faders on the RISE so that they are also set to zero. But instead you see them set to the max value. You see them set as you left them from the previous tweaked preset, at the max settings. And this is correct. The Equator plugin does not update these values, and it's not a bug but how the MIDI communication works with the plugin and the hardware.

If you notice, pretty much all the factory presets are saved with the CC faders set at zero and the XY pad set in the lower left corner. This is so that when using Equator in a DAW, the user can have a reliable and quick way to reset the faders to the default position (since Equator will not do it. This is not a bug, but how plugin in a DAW works with a hardware controller).

So you load a preset, tweak the CC faders and maybe add lots of reverb with fader 3. Now you load another preset and you also hear it with lots of reverb (since the 3 faders is up). How do you reset it to default? Simply pull the fade down. Job done.

If you try the standalone version, the situation is different, and each new selected preset will update the state of the hardware faders, so you will see the lights on the RISE CC faders match the values on the CC faders on Equator's GUI. However, this only concerns the CC-faders and not the expression faders, since Equator does not show the values for the expression faders on its GUI. It recalls them correctly, it's just it does not show them, which leads me to the next part:
Cinebient wrote: Next is that often if i change the value to zero (from the glide f.e.) it shows zero on my rise (the single led is in the middle) but in Equator i see i still have a small value from 1-3 or so. The same with aftertouch and the other sliders. I need to slide up and down several times until i really get zero. No way for a live performance/recording.
This can not be for the simple reason that the Equator GUI does not show the values for the expression faders, the press, slide and glide faders. They are simply not shown in the GUI. What you do see, are the values for the assignable CC-faders and the XY pad. So going with your description, this is not a bug but a misunderstanding of how the feature works.

However, if I may give a tip on how best to reset the faders in a reliable manner, it's this:
When you move the fader down to set it to zero, or switch one of the dimensions off, you may need to press-in right at the bottom of the faders. So, slide down and press-in. This will always set the fader to the intended position (off).

By the way, I use Equator and RISE (and blocks) extensively and have not come across these bugs, which from your descriptions seem to be based on a misunderstanding of how the features work. I might be wrong, so apologies in advance, but that's how it appears from your descriptions.

himalaya wrote:
Cinebient wrote:
This needs some elaboration as I don't think you have encountered a bug here.
If you are using the Equator plugin (that is, not the standalone version) you may need to remember that when you select a preset, the state of the RISE faders will not be updated. Imagine a scenario where you tweak the faders during play and set them all to the maximum level. Then you select another preset, which has the CC faders set to zero (you know that because maybe you have saved that preset with the faders set to zero on a previous occasion).
So now, going with what you wrote, you expect the new preset with the faders saved at zero, reset the hardware faders on the RISE so that they are also set to zero. But instead you see them set to the max value. You see them set as you left them from the previous tweaked preset, at the max settings. And this is correct. The Equator plugin does not update these values, and it's not a bug but how the MIDI communication works with the plugin and the hardware.

If you notice, pretty much all the factory presets are saved with the CC faders set at zero and the XY pad set in the lower left corner. This is so that when using Equator in a DAW, the user can have a reliable and quick way to reset the faders to the default position (since Equator will not do it. This is not a bug, but how plugin in a DAW works with a hardware controller).

So you load a preset, tweak the CC faders and maybe add lots of reverb with fader 3. Now you load another preset and you also hear it with lots of reverb (since the 3 faders is up). How do you reset it to default? Simply pull the fade down. Job done.

If you try the standalone version, the situation is different, and each new selected preset will update the state of the hardware faders, so you will see the lights on the RISE CC faders match the values on the CC faders on Equator's GUI. However, this only concerns the CC-faders and not the expression faders, since Equator does not show the values for the expression faders on its GUI. It recalls them correctly, it's just it does not show them, which leads me to the next part:
Cinebient wrote: Next is that often if i change the value to zero (from the glide f.e.) it shows zero on my rise (the single led is in the middle) but in Equator i see i still have a small value from 1-3 or so. The same with aftertouch and the other sliders. I need to slide up and down several times until i really get zero. No way for a live performance/recording.
This can not be for the simple reason that the Equator GUI does not show the values for the expression faders, the press, slide and glide faders. They are simply not shown in the GUI. What you do see, are the values for the assignable CC-faders and the XY pad. So going with your description, this is not a bug but a misunderstanding of how the feature works.

However, if I may give a tip on how best to reset the faders in a reliable manner, it's this:
When you move the fader down to set it to zero, or switch one of the dimensions off, you may need to press-in right at the bottom of the faders. So, slide down and press-in. This will always set the fader to the intended position (off).

By the way, I use Equator and RISE (and blocks) extensively and have not come across these bugs, which from your descriptions seem to be based on a misunderstanding of how the features work. I might be wrong, so apologies in advance, but that's how it appears from your descriptions.
Sorry, but no. Like i said i send Roli videos and they said that they working on it........months later......maybe they just don´t know their own software? Whatever.
So you say i´m holding it wrong......lol
Like i also said.....it works fine with my other plug-ins but not with their own software (putting sliders to zero).
It´s anyway my second one because the first had a hardware fault (one keywave was faulty).
I just gave up on it. There are better options out there these days. :D
But thank´s for your answer and help. I really appreciate it.

I really want to help you so, you can send me the video too (via PM). I still think you are misunderstanding the issues and not using it correctly. This is an example:
Next is that often if i change the value to zero (from the glide f.e.) it shows zero on my rise (the single led is in the middle) but in Equator i see i still have a small value from 1-3 or so
This simply can not happen, since Equator does not show the values for the glide slider (nor the aftertouch or slide faders) on its GUI. So my question is, what are you seeing? If you set the glide slider to zero, and then look at the same slider on Equator's GUI you will see the CC-slider values, and not the 'glide' slider values. Can you see?
it works fine with my other plug-ins but not with their own software (putting sliders to zero)
Which other plugins are you working with? I'm interested.

himalaya wrote:I really want to help you so, you can send me the video too (via PM). I still think you are misunderstanding the issues and not using it correctly. This is an example:
Next is that often if i change the value to zero (from the glide f.e.) it shows zero on my rise (the single led is in the middle) but in Equator i see i still have a small value from 1-3 or so
This simply can not happen, since Equator does not show the values for the glide slider (nor the aftertouch or slide faders) on its GUI. So my question is, what are you seeing? If you set the glide slider to zero, and then look at the same slider on Equator's GUI you will see the CC-slider values, and not the 'glide' slider values. Can you see?

it works fine with my other plug-ins but not with their own software (putting sliders to zero)
Which other plugins are you working with? I'm interested.
Omnisphere, Kontakt.....everything else.....
I mean while i use my Seaboard with Equator (it also happens if i set it up in dashboard) and set f.e. the glide, slide etc. to zero it isn´t at zero sometimes. I still can pitch bend notes while the Seaboard shows me zero (the single led in the middle). So it looks more like a visual feedback fault.
But that just happens with Roli´s own software. So it can´t be a hardware problem in this case.
Thank´s again but like i said i gave up and looking forward. Anyway i find the Seaboard software too limited and there are other little quirks i don´t like after about 1 1/2 year i own it.
While i really can´t replace the tactile feedback i find my iOS devices much better and versatile for these kind of MPE things.
In general i´m not happy with Roli´s roadmap etc. So i just let it go at this point.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”