Welcome back Cobalt.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cobalt

Thanks!
Last edited by studio4 on Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

Last edited by studio4 on Wed May 23, 2018 10:40 am, edited 10 times in total.
Image Image

studio4 wrote:@Cruba: Nice designs.
Ty mate!

Here is my ultracompact "Tweakedition" skins. I always wanted a gui with separate functions to see how the workflow changes. Maybe it's a total silly idea, but I've fun to play around with the Cobalt skins... lol

Leslie: Is it possible to use more than 3 button variations? It's not a must, but I would like to have a 4th button for the legato/retrigger in this skin.

Maybe I've just to add a 4th one, but without knowing if it's an open system, don't want to crash Cubase. ;)

Hi all,

Apologies for the late reply. I have a new beta version of Cobalt ready:

[EDIT]
I just realized that I needed to update the readme file. New download here:

http://www.lesliesanford.com/Temp/Cobalt8b.zip

Changes:

- Supports up to four different buttons, sliders, and switches
- Can use global Cobalt.ini for specifying skin

That last change deserves explanation. Rather than having to copy the INI file that you want to use to the directory where Cobalt lives in and renaming it, you can have one Cobalt.ini file that specifies which skin to use. It's a simple file that looks like this:

[skin]
file_name=MyCobaltSkin.ini

Then your skin INI file will have the data for the actual skin.

Your skin INI file must reside in the same directory as the Cobalt dll.

The previous way of renaming files should still work.

If everything goes ok, this will be the last beta version before making an official release.
Last edited by Leslie Sanford on Sat May 06, 2017 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hi, thanks for Cobalt update.
Love this little gem, :)
Cheers

Cruba wrote: Image

Is there a way to get ahold of this beautiful work of art?

Here's my little creation and contribution, in a vintage style. Hope you'll enjoy.

Nice !

Perhaps the green is a little bit too "flashy" compared to the rest of the surface. But very nice skin!
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

You think so? It's looking like backlighted LCD to me so quite OK and "vintage" as described :)

Here 's a Version 2.
In version 1, I tried to reproduced my MPC's Green Lights :wink: .

Peace

miklan wrote:Here 's a Version 2.
In version 1, I tried to reproduced my MPC's Green Lights :wink: .

Peace
Wow ! Splendid !
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

Kumi_27 wrote:You think so? It's looking like backlighted LCD to me so quite OK and "vintage" as described :)
Yes, I think so. But don't mistake it, it is not a drawback. I just find this green a bit too flashy, that's not a negative critic, just a proposition to try a green just a bit darker.
:)

And if we want to try to stick with the green background of the displays of the old hardware devices, look quite closely at some of them... and you'll see that the green background of these old display devices was always with a bit of grey. It was a dose of grey which was wanted by the labs of the producers themselves to prevent some wrong visual fatigue when the eyes have to frequently watch the values shown by these displays. I personally know very well this aspect of the design of the LCD displays, because I have worked a lot with these kinds of displays in geology and biology since the end of the 70's. The green used for the displays had always that dose of grey to prevent the visual issues. And it was not the LED themselves which provided that dose of grey (they were of pure green, yes) but it was the plastic transparent cover of the display which was a bit smoked, grey tinted in the mass. And all the designers and factories respected this requirement specification because it was a very important criteria in the usability of the display along the hours of use.

(it's perhaps off-topic, but it is in the industry of the LCD displays a historical fact which is good to know for everyone, I think)

Just check it, see some old green LCD displays... and you'll always see that they have a dose of smokey grey, discrete but always present to attenuate the pure green. And imagine what would have been the result for the fatigue of the eyes if the green was a pure green as in this skin above.
Last edited by BlackWinny on Mon May 29, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brainzistor wrote:
studio4 wrote:New versions of my black and white skins:

http://ge.tt/5FN3iWi2

Awesome :tu:
These are really nice. :clap:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

BlackWinny wrote:
Kumi_27 wrote:You think so? It's looking like backlighted LCD to me so quite OK and "vintage" as described :)
Yes, I think so. But don't mistake it, it is not a drawback. I just find this green a bit too flashy, that's not a negative critic, just a proposition to try a green just a bit darker.

And if we want to try to stick with the green background of the displays of the old hardware devices, look quite closely at some of them... and you'll see that the green background of these old display devices was always with a bit of grey. It was a dose of grey which was wanted by the labs of the producers themselves to prevent some wrong visual fatigue when the eyes have to frequently watch the values shown by these displays. I personally know very well this aspect of the design of the LCD displays, because I have worked a lot with these kinds of displays in geology and biology since the end of the 70's. The green used for the displays had always that dose of grey to prevent the visual issues. And it was not the LED themselves which provided that dose of grey (they were of pure green, yes) but it was the plastic transparent cover of the display which was a bit smoked, grey tinted in the mass. And all the designers and factories respected this requirement specification because it was a very important criteria in the usability of the display along the hours of use.

(it's perhaps off-topic, but it is in the industry of the LCD displays a historical fact which is good to know for everyone, I think)

Just check it, see some old green LCD displays... and you'll always see that they have a dose of smokey grey, discrete but always present to attenuate the pure green. And imagine what would have been the result for the fatigue of the eyes if the green was a pure green as in this skin above.
Good point BlackWinny, you're right. I find light more realistic now.
Version 1.2

miklan wrote:
BlackWinny wrote:

Good point BlackWinny, you're right. I find light more realistic now.
Version 1.2
Now it's great! We could almost say that this skin is a photograph of a real hardware of the 70's-80's! Splendid!
:love:

Return to “Instruments”