Chord voicings

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello ! I'm trying to figure out if there is an option for chord voicings. Is there ? I can't find anything in tutorials.
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

Do you mean the chord preview? I am making improvements to it, but if you'd like some special voicing, please let me know.
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

I was thinking about the arrange view. When chords a splitted individually you could select one and play different voicing.
The way I was thinking it, by right clicking the chord, in the options there could be a voicing tab or where there are the scales, chords, prog., etc. buttons on top left one extra for voicing.

Let's say you have a 3 notes chord. You tell if you want one bass, one mid and one note in the high register.If we could choose each of these individual zones it would be awesome. Then you could hit the 'random' button and listen to the various voicings so this way no need to implement different voicings. If we could lock notes individually in place a big plus. Or maybe you could do presets too and let us save/load voicings it would be nice but personnaly random and definite zones I would probably use more, actually zone presets would be quite awsome.A few presets like More bass1-2-3-4-5 More mid1-2-3-4-5 More Treble1-2-3-4-5, or Distant voicings mix of very low and high notes 1-2-3-4-5, or Balanced voicings 1-2-3-4-5...etc. And then an option to change the positions of all those notes in the chord. Swap certain notes or all notes.

Let's say you have a 5 notes chord. You could tell 2 notes in zone1, 2 notes in zone2 and 1 note in zone3. Because it's going to be so different for various instruments to get a good voicing, some have limited range also the predefined voicings might not work so well unless you have tons of it.

I don't know of any software that does voicing that would definitly put you ahead IMO.
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

This is a good idea, I am thinking about it for some time. Not because it is difficult to add, no, but I am not sure if this should logically belong to the master track.
Each track may interpret the master track chords differently. E.g. an acoustic guitar track translates a major chord into a 6-note guitar chord (maybe with selection from different fingerings), but this does not mean that all tracks should use the guitar chord. Or a "slow strings" track may duplicate chord notes in lower registers, e.g. you can use the "Spread Out Chord Notes"* variation which has several voicing patterns included. Again, other tracks should not be forced to use the same voicing.

Therefore I think that inversions and voicings should be specified per track, not globally for all tracks. What do you think?

At the moment it is possible to use the small magnet icon below the "Master Track" label. It automatically inverts the master track chords for smooth voice leading. I realized that was not a good idea, such functionality should belong to the tracks.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Attila

* for a long time I am planning a visual editor for these voicings

musicdevelopments wrote:
Therefore I think that inversions and voicings should be specified per track, not globally for all tracks. What do you think?
Absolutely. I'd say even more precise per clip or chord or all 3.

Thank you!

Boone777 wrote:
musicdevelopments wrote:
Absolutely. I'd say even more precise per clip or chord or all 3.
Total agreement !! :wink:
Rob van Hees

Thanks, Rob! :)

Return to “MusicDevelopments”