If Roland made a D50 vst emulation, would you purchase it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

If Roland made a D50 vst emulation, would you purchase it?

Yes, as long as it was reasonably priced.
45%
Maybe, I would consider purchasing it.
18%
No, I don't have any interest in such a product.
27%
Fish
11%

Total votes: 366

RELATED
PRODUCTS

K-Bee wrote: I don't think a plugin will happen...ever. Maybe something will come close but the real thing, no
You seem a bit too late to the party :hihi: The plug-in DID happen... already.

What we are discussing is if it worths the money asked (for the subscription of Roland Clound, since it isn't available in any other way) or not.

And the lack of demos, information, videos, etc. doesn't help either. We had the chance to get a trial of Roland Cloud for a month, a while ago, but that's gone now.
Fernando (FMR)

Well, i am interested in the D-50 emulation and wanted to subscribe at least for one month to check it. My free subscription alredy timed out a while ago.

I logged in with a different e-mail than i used for the free subscription and wanted to try the subsciption for 19.95$ per month. After entering the requested data including that for my credit card (no other payment found there...) and confirming the data i received this error message: "An error occurred and your request couldn't be completed. ". I tried again with a different internet browser with the same result.

I am in Germany and obviously the current subscription service that still seems to be in "Beta" status does not work here in Germany.

At the top of teh page this is written:
"Important: Although the Roland Cloud early access beta free 30 day trial is available worldwide, a Roland Cloud Basic subscription is currently only available in via authorized payment in USD (US Dollars.) "
Not sure what they mean with "authorized payment in USD". The only option i found is a credit card and i entred my dat for that. I did not receive an option to pay in USD instead of Euros.

I alraedy was against such a subscription model but now after i actually wanted to pay for the subscription and it failed this is really hilarious.

This makes me think about if i would actually try again after this is out of Beta and would actually work here in Germany. If i see it correctly the price will be raised to 29.95$ after the Beta ended which makes it even worse...

That would make 29.95$ x 12 = 359.40$ for 12 months that i would need to keep the D-50 plugin permanently. That's close to the price of a second hand hardware D-50 and as long as i would only be interested in the D-50 it would be more likely that i spend such amount of money for the hardware...

If Roland would offer a seperate purchase of the D-50 plugin in the future for a not too high price i would be happy about that but at the moment i do not really see that happen.

UPDATE:
Problem solved. I had tio use "none" at teh "state/province" field.
Last edited by Ingonator on Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:If i see it correctly the price will be raised to 29.95$ after the Beta ended which makes it even worse...

That would make 29.95$ x 12 = 359.40$ for 12 months that i would need to keep the D-50 plugin permanently.
20 dollars per month is not bad if you have a project you are working on. But 30? Hm. At that price I have difficulties seeing how the Roland Cloud could become a long-term hit. But maybe they will provide monthly new content in form of new patches and plugins so that you get a lot of new material each month.

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

You know what will happen right?

People won't subscribe because the price is unreasonable, and also the "have to be online when you start your DAW" restriction... and instead of adjusting their business + CP models to be more reasonable... Roland will see it as a "lack of interest" and end up scrapping all future development.

:roll:
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

Ben H wrote:You know what will happen right?

People won't subscribe because the price is unreasonable, and also the "have to be online when you start your DAW" restriction... and instead of adjusting their business + CP models to be more reasonable... Roland will see it as a "lack of interest" and end up scrapping all future development.

:roll:
Well, yeah. That would unfortunately fit the Roland MO :?

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Maybe we should start asking Roland directly "Are You nuts?", of course in more polite and convoluted way... :hihi:

I agree that this seems to be dangerously pointiung to that, unfortunately. They do things the wrong way and then they choose not to proceed, blaming the market, and lack of interest.

It seems close to what Korg did with Legacy Collection. Now they came with that silly Gadget thing. If it fails (which, IMO, will be the most probable scenario), they will bury it too (again).
Fernando (FMR)

Ben H wrote:People won't subscribe because the price is unreasonable, and also the "have to be online when you start your DAW" restriction... and instead of adjusting their business + CP models to be more reasonable... Roland will see it as a "lack of interest" and end up scrapping all future development.
The thing is, they already had the plugs for sale for a year or so, and switched *from* that model to this cloud thing.

That either means, existing sales weren't working, or this Canadian company convinced Roland, with all the "cloud" and "subscription" and "convenience" and "the future" and "everybody's doing it" that the cloud model would make them more money.

fmr wrote:
K-Bee wrote: I don't think a plugin will happen...ever. Maybe something will come close but the real thing, no

What we are discussing is if it worths the money asked (for the subscription of Roland Clound, since it isn't available in any other way) or not.

And the lack of demos, information, videos, etc. doesn't help either. We had the chance to get a trial of Roland Cloud for a month, a while ago, but that's gone now.
Sorry! :drunk: Must be a few pages back then :o I didn't notice. But then again, if it's on Roland Cloud it's largely irrelevant for me as I don't really like those subcription based ideas (which probably will be very typical in the future :( )

fmr wrote:It seems close to what Korg did with Legacy Collection. Now they came with that silly Gadget thing. If it fails (which, IMO, will be the most probable scenario), they will bury it too (again).
What do you mean by "bury". You can still buy the legacy collection and it was updated a few years ago for 64-bit... is it missing an update that I'm not aware of?
You need to limit that rez, bro.

fmr wrote:

There's only a ROMpler version, not a proper emulation.

I really don't care. The ultra glossy D50 sound does nothing for me.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: There's only a ROMpler version, not a proper emulation.
This one is a new one... and not a rompler (seeing the specs/description).

zerocrossing wrote:
fmr wrote:

There's only a ROMpler version, not a proper emulation.
You are late to the party too :wink: https://www.rolandcloud.com/catalog/leg ... ynthesizer

And we can now download the manual as PDF (which helps a little - yesterday it wasn't there): https://www.rolandcloud.com/getattachme ... S&ext=.pdf
Fernando (FMR)

Did anyone post a screen of the interface yet?
(from the manual)

Anyway, this rental thing might be something that professional studios do - but I don't care for it. I want less monthly payments, not more!

kbaccki wrote:
fmr wrote:It seems close to what Korg did with Legacy Collection. Now they came with that silly Gadget thing. If it fails (which, IMO, will be the most probable scenario), they will bury it too (again).
What do you mean by "bury". You can still buy the legacy collection and it was updated a few years ago for 64-bit... is it missing an update that I'm not aware of?
It was updated to 64-bit... and that's it. Not that I'm not grateful for that (I am, deeply, especially for Wavestation, which I use a lot to replace my Wavestatrion A/D).

But an update with bigger GUIs, namely, is much needed. Also, some optimizations in the GUI (some guys are speaking about the new GUIs in the Gadget replicas, saying they are much better) would be welcome too.
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Instruments”