Tone2 Electra v2.5

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Aiynzahev wrote:Also really happy with this update. I suppose it's difficult to say without doing a direct comparison, but it does sound better, particularly the hypersaw algorithms which were OK before are now excellent.
+1
Great free update and unexpected from Tone (I think I have paid for updates with less new stuff than this from Tone2 so this is an appreciated gesture)

I am note sure my old ears can hear any difference, but them I always though it sounded really good anyway (Or I would not have bought it!)

As a beta feedback- no issues (Beta 6 as of today) on windows 10 X64, been on it about an hour :tu:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Demoing it right now. I think the demo is v.2.1 or something, not the latest revision? Anyway I like the sound, there is quite a bit of that fatness and roundness I love about my Virus. I have a crazy idea about getting it together with Icarus to cover the advanced wavetable stuff and then I may even consider getting rid of the Virus, the instability of the Virus Conrol plugin does get on my nerves.

The lack of real unison and weird restrictions about the amount of effects are a downer though. Also I'm not exactly mad about this four independent layers thing. The most impressive presets utilize two or three layers, I think they were a bit tedious to progam.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Benjamin923 wrote:Electra2 doesn't have stereo supersaws does it?
No, but what you can do is program a patch the way you want it then go into the center menu and there's an option to convert it into a 2 layer stereo program, or 4 if you want. It automatically pans and detunes each layer for you too.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

recursive one wrote:Demoing it right now. I think the demo is v.2.1 or something, not the latest revision? Anyway I like the sound, there is quite a bit of that fatness and roundness I love about my Virus. I have a crazy idea about getting it together with Icarus to cover the advanced wavetable stuff and then I may even consider getting rid of the Virus, the instability of the Virus Conrol plugin does get on my nerves.

The lack of real unison and weird restrictions about the amount of effects are a downer though. Also I'm not exactly mad about this four independent layers thing. The most impressive presets utilize two or three layers, I think they were a bit tedious to progam.
I really liked the sound of Electra2. Unfortunately, what you describe holds true too though. For stuff which is easy to achieve in other synths, you need workarounds in Electra2. For me, it was a game breaker. Icarus is better in that regard, yet some things are a bit weird too. It doesn't have "true" stereo oscillators either, something which Tone2 really, really should think about implementing in their future synths.

P.S.: Ultimately, that layer based programming in Electra was too much of a pain for me. I prefer things simple, not tedious.

Actually I see ho wlayer concept may be useful. Sylenth essentially has 2 layers, Rapid has 8 of them. It may be used for creating complex timbres with 2 or 3 independnet singalflows, provided that there are common controls and common effects. When you need layers to do basic things like stereo unison, the whole thing becomes unnecessarily complicated imo.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Exactly. :) Nothing wrong with layers per se, but, the way it is laid out in Electra, for me, it was too tedious. They even implemented stuff in Electra2, because they realized some things, like copying settings between layers, weren't possible, or too complicated. Icarus is much more straight forward, which is good for me. I liked the Hypersaw, and JP-8000 waves in Electra2 though.

Actually, if it wasn't for the complicated programming, i'd probably still own Electra2 now. They made some progress with the filters in Saurus 2 though (i think), so, the filters in Icarus area also better.

Strange, the Electra 2.5 upgrade is listed at the top of the news box today, but it has been out for at least a month it seems...

I think their dog has died, it is no longer listed on their site :?

I think it was a Beta, and it's the final release now.

I see.
Found this item on the change log interesting 8)
"No more missing frequencies above 13 kHz"

So, still only a single insert effect per layer?

I just noticed the update and gave it a spin. Really love it so far. It still has that tone 2 sound but its possible to program around it so to speak. Still kinda new to Electra2, though I've had it for a while, and I'm kind of blown away with all the possibilities in this thing. Amazing really :D
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

fluffy_little_something wrote:I see.

Yep. 1 fx insert per layer

exmatproton wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:I see.

Yep. 1 fx insert per layer
So weird. They make so many changes and improvements, but forget about the old FX limitation.
All major synths are much more flexible in that respect.

---

Return to “Instruments”