Klanghelm SDRR 2 and IVGI 2 released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
IVGI SDRR

Fuzz alone is an improvement - that was really taxing on v1 over here if Stage 3 was engaged (Windows, i7 920)
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

How does this one compare in sound quality compared to competitor products?

tonhelm wrote:
bungle wrote:Just an FYI, the CPU usage is a fair bit higher in v2 vs v1, even when HQ is off.
Not sure what issue people are having with Reaper though ?
Are you sure you have automatically resize plugins windows up n down ticked in prefs ?
Yes, the resizing issue is only present on Windows and only when making the GUI smaller.

Re. CPU usage:
comparing each mode with similar settings and HQ on in SDRR 2 (which represents the old SDRR1)
the new version doesn't really use much more CPU here.

a few figures from Reaper on macOS on my MBP:

TUBE:
SDRR 1: 0.44%
SDRR 2: 0.39%

DIGI:
SDRR 1: 0.32%
SDRR 2: 0.35%

FUZZ:
SDRR 1: 0.51%
SDRR 2: 0.44%

DESK:
SDRR 1: 0.27%
SDRR 2: 0.31%

Tony

It is probably seeming like a lot more because it is on my MacBook Air that i am testing on at home, so probably a ton slower than your MBP.

I will test on Windows, very surprised the developers at cockos havent issued a fix.
Duh

Desk mode on SDRR2 is definitely more subtle than its v1 counterpart. After making a few like-for-like-parameter patches, it seems everything needs a boost to match the sound of the original.

Not a criticism, just an observation. If anything this is a good thing since i tend to work with low values anyway just to add colour. The new transient/compressor combo works extremely well together also.

Haven't ventured into the other modes too much yet, so can't say anything for them but I'm sure they're also subtly superior to their predecessors. :)

Compressor plugins have saturation, the saturation plugin has a compressor, are Klanghelm plugins gradually converging? Just wondering, I mean, if I wanted to buy/use only one such dynamics plugin, which would it be?

if you're interested in dynamics, MJUC or DC8C would be your best bet (depending on whether you want "analog-inspired" almost-one-knob compressor, or a compression toolbox). SDRR is no more a compression plugin than it is an EQ plugin - it has minimal controls on that front which may be suitable for a quick adjustment, but not very versatile.

(that's not to say SDRR's compressor isn't useful or musically versatile, it's just that there's no sidechaining, parallel compression, fine adjustments of attack/release/ratio/threshold and other things you might find on a typical compressor)
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

No email to licence holders?
I wouldn't have found out if I hadn't stumbled across this thread
Amazon: why not use an alternative

This update finally pushed me over, been looking at SDRR after ultra-positive experience with MJUC, and I have to say SDRR2 is easily worth it just for the Desk mode. Just incredible, fits my "vision" perfectly. Fuzz and Tube replaced two other plugins already after initial tests (surprising depth in SDRR2, will take a while to find all the sweet spots and best applications) it's really nice to have almost all the forms of distortion in one package.

I do find the graphics a bit messy (pixelation, jagged edges) though at all available zoom levels, and somewhat dark. MJUC looks much smoother and balanced in comparison

.jon wrote:This update finally pushed me over, been looking at SDRR after ultra-positive experience with MJUC, and I have to say SDRR2 is easily worth it just for the Desk mode. Just incredible, fits my "vision" perfectly. Fuzz and Tube replaced two other plugins already after initial tests (surprising depth in SDRR2, will take a while to find all the sweet spots and best applications) it's really nice to have almost all the forms of distortion in one package.
Yeah, it's surprisingly flexible. Even the individual modes can deliver a wide variety of subtlety and filth before you take there being 4 modes into account. SDRR lives in my 'distortion' folder, but it could live in 'console', 'transient shaping' and 'FSU' just as convincingly.

Could someone explain me what exactly does the IVGI 2 ASYM MIX knob does? I'm not sure if it's a "compression amount " or something else.

heavymetalmixer wrote:Could someone explain me what exactly does the IVGI 2 ASYM MIX knob does? I'm not sure if it's a "compression amount " or something else.
The site says "IVGI gives you a sensible amount of controls to manipulate the character of the saturation itself. It offers a unique ASYM MIX knob to alter the symmetry of the signal without affecting the harmonic content much."

HcDoom wrote:How does this one compare in sound quality compared to competitor products?
To pick up on this rather old post: I was on the fence about buying either the Wave Arts Tube Saturator 2, or SDRR 2. I was glad to try the demo of SDRR 2, before buying Tube Saturator 2. Not only uses it only a fraction of the CPU ( really, Tube Saturator 2 uses about 10x as much here...), but, it also sounds as good as Tube Saturator 2 to my ears. And, with 4 modes to choose from, and many parameters, i don't think i'll ever run out of options. Really good stuff. :tu:

kukla wrote:
heavymetalmixer wrote:Could someone explain me what exactly does the IVGI 2 ASYM MIX knob does? I'm not sure if it's a "compression amount " or something else.
The site says "IVGI gives you a sensible amount of controls to manipulate the character of the saturation itself. It offers a unique ASYM MIX knob to alter the symmetry of the signal without affecting the harmonic content much."
Now I'm even more confused . . .

chk071 wrote: I was glad to try the demo of SDRR 2, before buying Tube Saturator 2. Not only uses it only a fraction of the CPU ( really, Tube Saturator 2 uses about 10x as much here...)
For me, Reaper64 & Win10, I get 1.2% for SDRR2 and 1.5% for Tube Saturator 2. These are Reaper's numbers, but if I use Windows' Performance Monitor, SDRR2 kicks the average up a 10th of a percent, and Tube Saturator 2 about two 10ths of a percent.
Tranzistow Tutorials: http://vze26m98.net/tranzistow/
Xenakis in America: http://oneblockavenue.net

Strange. Admittedly, i have only compared it using Studio One's built in CPU meter, which also showed pretty high numbers for a couple of other fx plugins as well. So, rather take what i said with a pinch of salt, it's probably not true.

Return to “Effects”