Roland beat Behringer to Mini clone with Boutique SE-02??

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Chapelle wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:Someone commented on the mini keys, but this doesn't have mini keys. It has a sequencer.
[...]
What am I missing?
There is a keyboard unit that is available separately for the Boutique series and one of the pictures shows the SE-02 attached to it.

ah ... didn't see that. Fortunately not part of the main package. That would be a purchase killer for me.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

OK, actually looking at it and reading over their page: trigger in/out are for the sequencer clock, and there are CV inputs for pitch, filter and gate. There's no indication that the sequencer can control any external gear itself, but it can sequence the synth's own parameters.

foosnark wrote:There's no indication that the sequencer can control any external gear itself
Unless it's via MIDI. However with some of the goofy MIDI implementations on these mini modules that have appeared over the last few years, who knows what will be crippled.

However, I believe this would integrate easily to an external clock mult/div on a modular system via trigger. This is actually my normal workflow, so not a problem for me. Let the local sequence work on the local synth.

Acid Mitch wrote:
db3 wrote: Funny that Roland had to work with a partner on a Moog inspired design to produce a new analogue synth.
What's funny about it ? Roland stopped making analogue synths in the 80's. It wouldn't have made much sense to keep their engineers on the payroll and manufacturing plants on standby incase they ever wanted to start making analogue products again.
It makes far more sense to team up with companies who already have the engineers and manufacturing.
It's just ironic that they've released an analogue Moog clone with someone else, while producing digital clones of their own analogue back cat. Roland did the circuit design of the SE-02 and have the scale of manufacturing in China, so I'm sure it wouldn't take much effort for them to start reproducing their own analogue classics with modern techniques. Their product portfolio is a bit all over the place, it's quite possible there's some internal conflict thanks to investment in ACB R&D verses pure analogue.

My se02 disappoint comes from missing ribbonz. :P

They're growing a bit psycho, really. A-01, the drumpads, samples from...what was that, the d50? And they made two 303s in five years.
Oh, the vp03...

Something that seems to be getting overlooked is that Roland are neatly sidestepping the ethical issues of stealing Moog IP by cloning an SE-1 in collaboration with the original developer.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:Something that seems to be getting overlooked is that Roland are neatly sidestepping the ethical issues of stealing Moog IP by cloning an SE-1 in collaboration with the original developer.
Which IP? And how do you know they are sidestepping?

Roland is new Behringer.
Murderous duck!

It is indeed ironic that their first real analog boutique is a Moog clone, but I still think it's a pretty cool move from Roland and I see these selling by the boatload. They seem to have got the price right too, and I expect Behringer to try and go lower than $400 or come up with something more innovative. Either way it's good for us, the customers. This one could work well alongside my A4 so I'll definitely be looking out for the initial feedback.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is ironic about Roland releasing a Moog (SE01) clone?

thecontrolcentre wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but what is ironic about Roland releasing a Moog (SE01) clone?
Internally Roland spent a lot of time building up their VA line using their own designs...
When they finally decide to go analog they outsource the design and don't do one of their own...

thecontrolcentre wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but what is ironic about Roland releasing a Moog (SE01) clone?

Clearly he/she can and probably will respond himself/herself, but it is their first analog boutique. Roland is a fine maker of their own analogue synths so it is a bit ironic that for their first boutique analog venture they didn't choose one of their many own iconic analog synths but a moog.
And also I imagine that they have sometimes aggressively gone after developers who develop Roland-esque products (D-50 the one most readily comes to mind to me), its a bit ironic that they are doing someone else's from that pov.
rsp
sound sculptist

Instantly pre-ordered this. No brainer for me, I currently don't have any hardware mono's and glad I didn't buy one yet. Was looking at Moog, Waldorf and others which I'm sure are fantastic bits of gear, but if the sound of this holds up to SE's pedigree it'll be a monster. I regret selling my SE ATC-X back in the day. It sounded fantastic, but wasn't fun to program and unfortunately didn't hold my interest at the time, so I let it go. Shouldn't have... oh well.

This box, Moog'ish clone or not (I don't care) as analog with 3 OSC and a p-locking sequencer for $500 USD or less? I really don't see a lot to complain about. Small knobs? No or small keyboard? So what, I'll use a controller. Do I wish it had multiple voices? Sure, but I'd be willing to bet we'll see a boutique like that in the future, but it'll probably cost than $500. I don't gig live and purely do music (if I can even call it that -- LOL) as a hobby/entertainment, so I do get why this form factor isn't for everyone, but spec wise, seems solid for the money.

I think it was really smart of them to partner with SE. I think that's what allowed them to hit the ground running and get it at the price point it is. Kudos to them and looking forward to what other partnerships are in the pipeline. I'm hoping this will be a great buddy for my recent Digitakt purchase.

nevermind

Return to “Instruments”