Roland Cloud

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
JX-3P Roland Cloud

ghettosynth wrote:
deastman wrote:On one hand, I totally disagree with anyone who thinks softsynths should be valued at $10 each. How is a company supposed to stay in business that way?
There is a distinction about what things "should" be valued at and what the "are" valued at. The reality is, many synths are only worth about $10. Not because people think that they "should" have that value, but, because the competition sells similar products for that price.

I think that it's fair to say though, that based on what the competition offers, that no Roland plugin to date is worth $240, let alone $360. Sure, some people may be willing to pay that, but I'm again talking about an aggregate value metric. You can't really determine market value based on a single, or even a few sales.
Companies can only charge what the market will bear. If the market will only pay $10 per synth, no one will stay in business (unless they're on iOS, making up for it in quantity). That can only lead to a dramatic reshaping of the market. I'm pretty sure Korg didn't start out selling their plugins for $50, but they've recouped their investment now and are pursuing the lower end of the market.

But again, Roland's solution is laughable. I think we all know this is destined to fail. I mean, heck, they're already backpedaling and talking about permanent licenses!
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:I'm pretty sure Korg didn't start out selling their plugins for $50
No, for 75$.
AFAIK first appearance of M1 VST is Korg Legacy Digital Edition in 2005.
Together with previously released Wavestation plugin, it was £119.
Like 150$ for two synths bundle. So, well.

http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/kor ... al-edition

I uninstalled the cloud from my macbook after discovering that there was a background service active even when the cloud application was quited.

Not 100 sure, but I believe I read on an official Roland forum that you can quit/disable the server after the plugins have been authorized and they will run for 24 hours without being connected to the internet...

RolandCloud:You will need to be online whenever the instruments are loaded within the DAW
So no jamming in the wild or even cellars.... :roll:

Storm Subscription?

What the heck is that? :D

I'd like to know that, although I won't subscribe there. I don't see any good reason for me.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

SLiC wrote:
Is this a joke?

They have a handful of pretty average (but CPU hogging) plug ins and they want you to go subscription?
Even as a system 1m user I wound never do this, what they really needed to do is make the plug outs 49 Euro each....
This is exactly why I never owned a Roland Product(with one exception,Sonar...from a few year back,which I deeply regretted buying)..as Roland has always managed to find a way to f**k their customers in the a*s...by way of either cutting too many corners and releasing defective hardware and absurdly priced sound cards...or making abhorrently buggy and/or bloated software.
The aforementioned renting of software for commercial use may fly...but for the bedroom studio guy...not a chance.
Realistically though...I think Roland's subscription plan is a short term venture(as a means of generating a huge profit,for as long as this novelty lasts)...then they will eventually release their products for purchase.
This is the only conclusion I could draw,that makes any sense.

Does anyone know if d50 vst runs on cubase 7 or 7.5? On cub 6.5 it crashes.

Does anyone has experienced crashes upon closing the GUI of Roland plug ins in win10 and Live 9.7?
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:Does anyone has experienced crashes upon closing the GUI of Roland plug ins in win10 and Live 9.7?

I reported a problem where if I opened System 1, Cubase would crash. We were able to narrow it down to the VST 3 version causing the crash.

You may want to try VST 2, if you are not doing so already,and see if the problem persists.

rod_zero wrote:Does anyone has experienced crashes upon closing the GUI of Roland plug ins in win10 and Live 9.7?
Yes! I tried reinstalling + i verbally kicked Rolands ass!
Then Roland said he wears glasses.. so i hit him again.

Cubase9/Maschine 2
- WonderEcho -

AlesisVi61 wrote:
SLiC wrote:
Is this a joke?

They have a handful of pretty average (but CPU hogging) plug ins and they want you to go subscription?
Even as a system 1m user I wound never do this, what they really needed to do is make the plug outs 49 Euro each....
This is exactly why I never owned a Roland Product(with one exception,Sonar...from a few year back,which I deeply regretted buying)..as Roland has always managed to find a way to f**k their customers in the a*s...by way of either cutting too many corners and releasing defective hardware and absurdly priced sound cards...or making abhorrently buggy and/or bloated software.
The aforementioned renting of software for commercial use may fly...but for the bedroom studio guy...not a chance.
Realistically though...I think Roland's subscription plan is a short term venture(as a means of generating a huge profit,for as long as this novelty lasts)...then they will eventually release their products for purchase.
This is the only conclusion I could draw,that makes any sense.
Roland did not make Sonar but are just one of the of companies that have bought it and tried to work with it. Sonar was a mess long before Roland touched it.

As well, I have been buying Roland gear for studio and road use since 1979 and have never felt I was fu##ed in the a#s by them. Quite the opposite actually. I had almost zero problems with my Roland gear which is more than I could say about the Sequential Circuits or Oberheim gear I owned.

I am also confused by the argument about renting software as opposed to buying it. To the best of my knowledge, you never really own software, you just own a perpetual license.....which is not the same as owning at all.

http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Har ... ftware.asp

JJ_Jettflow wrote:I am also confused by the argument about renting software as opposed to buying it. To the best of my knowledge, you never really own software, you just own a perpetual license.....which is not the same as owning at all.
Yes, we all know all that :roll:
But You missed the point - problem is, that Roland Cloud doesn't let You buy this perpetual license once and then use the software how long You please.
Instead You have to pay monthly fee to keep it running, and have to be online most of the time.

I ended my subsciption and told them that i was interested in buying them and not rent them.
If more people does this it might make them to rethink this crappy deal with renting.
There also no good info from them about how the loyal program would work and 3 options for renting gives me a bad feeling that we might have to use the storm subscription to be counted as a loyal customer.
No mention about what the different subscriptions are for..

I already have the System 1, SH-101 and SH2 vst's because i could buy them when they came out.
Last edited by D-Fusion on Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kumi_27 wrote:
JJ_Jettflow wrote:I am also confused by the argument about renting software as opposed to buying it. To the best of my knowledge, you never really own software, you just own a perpetual license.....which is not the same as owning at all.
Yes, we all know all that :roll:
But You missed the point - problem is, that Roland Cloud doesn't let You buy this perpetual license once and then use the software how long You please.
Instead You have to pay monthly fee to keep it running, and have to be online most of the time.
Actually you do not get to use the license as long as you please; rather, as long as the owner of the software pleases with a recent case in point being Camel Audio's actions.

I have a crate full of software I "owned" from companies like Opcode, Intelligent Music, Passport Designs, etc that cost me lots of good money that are absolutely useless, so paying for my perpetual license monthly doesn't seem like bad idea to me.

Return to “Instruments”